Thread: One bad 5th gen

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

One bad 5th gen

This car runs at our local track and is just over the top awesome. It was featured in the March 2011 issue of Drag Racing Action in an article entitled "Bound & Determined". The owner and builder, Mike McCracken, is a long time drag racer. He mangled himself pretty badly back in '06 during a Memorial Day snowmobile drag event in which his sled barrel rolled at the top end of the track. For some time, it was thought that he would never walk again due to his injuries.

Following his recovery, Mike decided it was time to build a new drag car for the 2010 season. After initially considering a fiberglass '69 Camaro body on a tube chassis, he saw a commercial for the '10 Camaro and changed his plans. He tried to buy a "body in white", but at the time the dealer just could not make it happen as it was too early in the program. Mike ended up purchasing two complete sets of body panels for this build and had it all together in about 4 months.

The details: 600 c.i. engine by Shannon's Performance, an Art Morrison kit, Competition transmission and converter, 9" Strange Engineering rear, all steel body with a total weight of 2,800 lbs., Weld wheels in the front, American Racing bead locks in the rear, and it has run 8.60's in the quarter. The pics are from this past weekend at Beaver Springs Dragway when the dial in was set at 8.75 (very cool day with a cold track surface):

Ray Charles blue

Good lord! That thing is amazing!

I could see it in white. That would look amazing!

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Quote Originally Posted by TLS_Addict View Post
    Good lord! That thing is amazing!

I could see it in white. That would look amazing!
    FYI: "Body in white" refers to an unfinished car that will be used strictly to race and can't be made streetable. Although they are "white" in color, this is based on an unfinished car that the customer will paint as they desire, usually in the teams livery.

Chevy (Camaro), Ford (Mustang) and Dodge (Challenger) are all making "bodies in white" for racing teams.

Ray Charles blue

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    FYI: "Body in white" refers to an unfinished car that will be used strictly to race and can't be made streetable. Although they are "white" in color, this is based on an unfinished car that the customer will paint as they desire, usually in the teams livery.

Chevy (Camaro), Ford (Mustang) and Dodge (Challenger) are all making "bodies in white" for racing teams.
    I have heard of that before but didnt make the connection.

If not mistaken you could do that with a C5 Corvette as well. Came pretty much blank so you could take her racing.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I believe he is a regular in the Sunday races. The pics simply do not do this car justice.

pewter
    2000 camaro Z28

i love it i think hugger orange with white stripe would be my color though

Thread Information