black
    01 ss m6

old idea trashed

sooo i was gonna build the turbo ls1 right??? nope. one of the crazy things about having 9 months left in iraq. i change my mind a lot. well i dont want a stupid amount of power anymore. i just want a pretty quick daily driver. sooo this is what i have in mind now

i still havent even bought a car yet but in may im sure i will. hopefully from the dallas area. i want a 01 or 02 z or ss. i was wanting a ls2 goat but they are just too dang heavy so back to the maro. i want to go with a ls1 383. im not sure if i wanna use the stock block or just buy the 383 short block from Texas Speed. but anyway i want around 430 at the tires with the stroker kit. i have in mind a 228r or a 224xe cam from them, ported 317 heads (procharger later in mind), a bigger tb probably 92 mm, ported ls6 intake, and full exhaust and tune. 1 3/4 ceramic coated pacesetters, the 3 inch catted y pipe from pacesetter, and a spintech cat-back. 4.10s, and upgraded axles and diff. does anybody think with this set-up i will have problems reaching my goal?? im pretty sure some afr 225s or trickflow 215s or the 5.3 2.5 heads would make more power but i wanna do this on kind of a budget. and am i gonna have to get a custom grind cam to reach this? and i dont wanna have to rev over 6500 either.
    has anybody built a ls1 383 N/A and if yall have whats your number and whats yalls H/C combo's? thanks.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

You can get 430rwhp with the stock stroke. Doesn't even have to be that aggressive of a cam to do it, if you are going for another block then go the 402 route. Upgrading the 10 bolt won't do a lot, you'll have to go 9",12bolt, s60 if you want something to beat on.

black
    01 ss m6

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    You can get 430rwhp with the stock stroke. Doesn't even have to be that aggressive of a cam to do it, if you are going for another block then go the 402 route. Upgrading the 10 bolt won't do a lot, you'll have to go 9",12bolt, s60 if you want something to beat on.
    im sure that i can, ive seen it done. it just that if i replace the pistons and rod, i might as well stroke it. and yea ive already looked at 408s and 402s but i dont wanna go that route. i wanna be able to honestly say "its just a ls1", then commence to the as$-whooping. lol. and i didnt wanna spend 2k on a rearend that i wont abuse that much. i just wanted to take it to the track a couple times and get some decent times and then have a bad as$ car as a everyday driver. i looked at trick flows top end kit, 500 and 515 hp, but i wanna do it my own way...

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

With f/i people are making 700rwhp on a forged 346. It's fine you don't want to go with a kit, best go a custom route anyway to go toward your goal. As for the 10 bolts they brake on stock power.

black
    01 ss m6

With f/i people are making 700rwhp on a forged 346. It's fine you don't want to go with a kit, best go a custom route anyway to go toward your goal. As for the 10 bolts they brake on stock power.
    ive seen it also. whats the weak point of them? in my GMHTP, ive seen plenty 11 second cars with the stock 10 bolt also so i hope with everything upgraded it should be alright for a little while. and in some of the threads im reading, people are saying that the ls6 intake is hard to get 430 rwhp with even though Trickflow recommends it with there 515 hp kit. anybody else have this problem? they are saying that the fast 92 works hella betta horsepower wise... at least 20 extra hp over the ls6. and i just got on youtube and there is a white t/a with the TSP 224r and 5.3 2.5 head package putting down 421 rwhp w/ open headers... i just wanna know if i can get these numbers through ported 317s and a ls6 intake or will i have to go with the same H/C package?

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Can't compare stock 317's to worked 5.3's. Now if you wanted to compare worked 317's to worked 5.3's then it could be argued that the 317's have more potential.
    The ls-6 will be a choke on a h/c, doesn't mean you can't get 430rwhp. Now if you go f/i the fast will brake if you have a backfire, seen one instance with a vette that had a backfire. The ls-6 manifold survived but the maf blew in 2 Trickflow doesn't recommend the ls-6, it says they got those results with it, if an intake manufacturer payed them I'm sure you would see there name listed instead of with an oem part. Also understand that the motor you want (low compression/blower cam) won't get the same power as other h/c that are meant for n/a. You might even look into an aluminum intake manifold.
    10 bolts hold up better on an auto.
    I would also post this in the f/i section. We all have the same motors on this board, you'll get a lot more help than just posting in the camaro section.

black
    01 ss m6

Can't compare stock 317's to worked 5.3's. Now if you wanted to compare worked 317's to worked 5.3's then it could be argued that the 317's have more potential.
    The ls-6 will be a choke on a h/c, doesn't mean you can't get 430rwhp. Now if you go f/i the fast will brake if you have a backfire, seen one instance with a vette that had a backfire. The ls-6 manifold survived but the maf blew in 2 Trickflow doesn't recommend the ls-6, it says they got those results with it, if an intake manufacturer payed them I'm sure you would see there name listed instead of with an oem part. Also understand that the motor you want (low compression/blower cam) won't get the same power as other h/c that are meant for n/a. You might even look into an aluminum intake manifold.
    10 bolts hold up better on an auto.
    I would also post this in the f/i section. We all have the same motors on this board, you'll get a lot more help than just posting in the camaro section.
    ok. lol @ the vette. and im kinda thinking screw the blower cam/ low compression build. im on youtube reviewing a bunch of combos and the 5.3 heads work exceptionally well on tsp's head/cam combo. im thinking thats the combo ill be wanting now. lol. and i might have to look into a 12 bolt, or a 9 inch, or a s60 again then. but also are you saying that a pair of tsp's 5.3 2.5 heads will make a lil less power than a pair of milled and worked 317s??? lol. i wanna go with a cheap head than makes a decent amount of power. and the 224r cam seems to see about 15 less horsepower than the 228r cam on built ls1s.. which one would you choose with a stroker engine?

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

The 243/317 has more metal to port out. However they will cost more to get the stage III version. The 2.5 heads are a great budget head, kind of like comparing to an afr or trickflow head to the 243. Can't really compare but for the money the 5.3's hold there own. I think fast has gone up to the 102mm intake, so if you want something smaller you probably will have to go used. Get a hold of a cam maker to give you a custom cam to best suit your combo. Google Eps, they have been making some great results lately.

black
    01 ss m6

The 243/317 has more metal to port out. However they will cost more to get the stage III version. The 2.5 heads are a great budget head, kind of like comparing to an afr or trickflow head to the 243. Can't really compare but for the money the 5.3's hold there own. I think fast has gone up to the 102mm intake, so if you want something smaller you probably will have to go used. Get a hold of a cam maker to give you a custom cam to best suit your combo. Google Eps, they have been making some great results lately.
    yea fast has a 92 and a 102. they did away with the 90. i think. hmmmm. so a milled and ported 317 should work nicely. is there a formula for figuring out compression ratio? i dont wanna go to high a c/r that i have to use over 93 octane gas. the reason i was just gonna go with the 5.3 from tsp is because they have that head/cam package for like 2k and that aint bad at all. of course i find 317 heads on craigslist all them time for like 200 bucks but if they aint gonna make as much power as the 5.3 i might as well just spend the extra money and get what i want. as far as cams ill probably end up with a 112 lsa 228r cam. or the smaller 224r cam on a 112 lsa. i know a custom grind would work better but im not looking that direction as of now.

black
    01 ss m6

so im definitely going with the 5.3s.. now.

Thread Information