Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

noob asks questions

well seein as how i'm pickin up the car tomorrow...i'd like to know a few more things about it.

i'm not intending on modding this car as extensively as i did my monte carlo. i want to get the skip shift delete. i saw one that was not SLP on afterthoughtauto.com for $25.00 with $5.00 S&H. is this one as good as the SLP one?

i also see that SLP has a cold air induction package for $120 right now made out of steel that is supposed to add around 10 horse. is this a good buy? how does it install...blah blah blah...all the usual questions there.

i have heard a lot of numbers thrown around out there for crank hp as well. what is it? 305hp...310hp...315hp...? i have heard all of the above about the LS1 (it's a '99 by the way).

what were some of the first minor cheap mods that you guys did to your cars? i'm a college kid on a budget so the cheaper the better. i'm thinking the skip shift mod and a T.B. coolant bypass with a 180* Tstat for summer.

Black on black.
    2001 WS6 M6 (stock)

Quote Originally Posted by 1MileCrash View Post
    well seein as how i'm pickin up the car tomorrow...i'd like to know a few more things about it.

i'm not intending on modding this car as extensively as i did my monte carlo. i want to get the skip shift delete. i saw one that was not SLP on afterthoughtauto.com for $25.00 with $5.00 S&H. is this one as good as the SLP one?

i also see that SLP has a cold air induction package for $120 right now made out of steel that is supposed to add around 10 horse. is this a good buy? how does it install...blah blah blah...all the usual questions there.

i have heard a lot of numbers thrown around out there for crank hp as well. what is it? 305hp...310hp...315hp...? i have heard all of the above about the LS1 (it's a '99 by the way).

what were some of the first minor cheap mods that you guys did to your cars? i'm a college kid on a budget so the cheaper the better. i'm thinking the skip shift mod and a T.B. coolant bypass with a 180* Tstat for summer.

Forget the TB bypass and 180 T-stat. The T-stat will cost you hp if anything and the TB bypass is worth 2whp on the dyno from what I have seen. Not worth changing.

Buy an SLP lid and a cutout. That will give you around 320whp.
    Go to Radioshack and buy a resistor that has the same values as the SLP skip-shift deal. $.50 and works just as well. Do a search on LS1tech.com or yahoo and I am sure you can find the values you need for the resistor.

LS1 is LS1 is LS1. Same whp a C5 vette has same as a Z28, same as a WS6 or firehawk. All of them put down 300 give or take about 10whp usually.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by stanger88 View Post

Buy an SLP lid and a cutout.
    what's a lid and cutout?

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

lid=intake...can find them new for as cheap as 80 bucks..there all pretty much the same....used could prolly find one as cheap as 60...cut out is an exhaust cutout that sounds like shit and CAN be opened electronicly......not worth it in my opinion unless u want your car to sound like ass and attract all sorts of attention for 5 or 10 horse..no thanks

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

does the SS airbox fit on a non SS hood car or is it to tall for the application?

pewter

YES fits...but some ss lids are exactly the same as the z28 lids which wont gain u anything......only the slp ss lids are different....lid is prolly worth 10 hp for under a 100 bucks....and u can feel/hear it a lil....nothing dramatic

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

oh alrighty. thanks for the info.

Black on black.
    2001 WS6 M6 (stock)

Quote Originally Posted by tonyjnjz View Post
    lid=intake...can find them new for as cheap as 80 bucks..there all pretty much the same....used could prolly find one as cheap as 60...cut out is an exhaust cutout that sounds like shit and CAN be opened electronicly......not worth it in my opinion unless u want your car to sound like ass and attract all sorts of attention for 5 or 10 horse..no thanks
    Try about 1.5-2mph gain in trap speed and a DHM electronic one is $250. Can you think of a cheaper way for a college student to gain 15-20 to the tires?

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

CUTOUT:

LID:

PUSSY:
    2018 CTS-V: °°668rwhp/658rwtq°°
    2013 ZL1: °°590rwhp/576rwtq°°
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."

Black on black.
    2001 WS6 M6 (stock)

YES fits...but some ss lids are exactly the same as the z28 lids which wont gain u anything......only the slp ss lids are different....lid is prolly worth 10 hp for under a 100 bucks....and u can feel/hear it a lil....nothing dramatic
    There was a guy with a stock auto on another forum. His lid gave him 1mph trap speed and he did a cutout which gave him another 1.5mph. He had a 2.73 auto Z28 and went from 103.XX to 106.XX in the 1/4 on a WORSE DA.

pewter

Quote Originally Posted by stanger88 View Post
    Try about 1.5-2mph gain in trap speed and a DHM electronic one is $250. Can you think of a cheaper way for a college student to gain 15-20 to the tires?
    makes sense of your tracking the car hp vs dollar or if u want a shitty sounding real loud exhaust in trade off for a few horses...hey whatever floats your boat

Black on black.
    2001 WS6 M6 (stock)

makes sense of your tracking the car hp vs dollar or u u want a shitty sounding real loud exhaust in trade off for a few horses...hey whatever floats your boat
    He is a college student. He can close it when he doesnt want it and open it up when he does. I cannot fathom him buying a GMMG or LT's right now if he is pricing lids/CAI's that are on sale. I think he wants quick, easy hp. Also, the cutout will allow him to happily slip by the cops quiet as a mouse when he needs to.

pewter

lol like i said to each is there own...just letting him know how it will sound and MAYBE he would want to save his money and spend it on somthing more important like beer

Black on black.
    2001 WS6 M6 (stock)

lol like i said to each is there own...just letting him know how it will sound and MAYBE he would want to save his money and spend it on somthing more important like beer
    Meh, if he wants hp, a cutout is the cheapest 10-20whp he will ever get.

pewter

and i didnt argue that point did i????? its just at a cost IM not interested in.......just expressing my opinion about it.........im NOT arguing about the hp gains from it

Black on black.
    2001 WS6 M6 (stock)

and i didnt argue that point did i????? its just at a cost IM not interested in.......just expressing my opinion about it.........im NOT arguing about the hp gains from it
    To each their own. Honestly I think if he is asking "Whats a lid" he needs to get used to the car where it is hp-wise. 300whp is a lot for a noob. No offence but the facts are what they are.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

lets get back on topic guys, by helping this guy out with cheap/affordable mods. thanks...

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

oh believe me i know that it's a lot of car. i'm coming off of a 96 monte carlo ls/ss that had about 180hp at the crank with the mods that i had on it.

the only thing i drive that's comparable to it is my mom's cadillac that's like...290 horse or something close to that.

i've never been a fan of exhaust cutouts...especially in my town...the cops have it out for nice cars with young drivers so i watch my p's and q's now.

the lid is something that i was thinking about getting at some point in time as it was.

and like i say i definitely want rid of the skip shift crap...cause i drove the car for 20 minutes and i already miss not having 2nd gear whenever i want it.

Black on black.
    2001 WS6 M6 (stock)

Lid=$100
    ORY (Off-Road Y-pipe)= 1-300 (used/new)
    LT's=$500ish (Pace Setter, but spend the $800 and get kooks)
    Cat-back=3-800 depending on brand
    Tune=$400ish (dyno tune)

Gears will give you the biggest $$/ET/trap gain as usual and run about $500 installed or less unless someone is ripping you off. A 6-speed easily handles 4.10's on the highway with it/s .50 OD.

Black on black.
    2001 WS6 M6 (stock)

Quote Originally Posted by 1MileCrash View Post
    oh believe me i know that it's a lot of car. i'm coming off of a 96 monte carlo ls/ss that had about 180hp at the crank with the mods that i had on it.

the only thing i drive that's comparable to it is my mom's cadillac that's like...290 horse or something close to that.

i've never been a fan of exhaust cutouts...especially in my town...the cops have it out for nice cars with young drivers so i watch my p's and q's now.

the lid is something that i was thinking about getting at some point in time as it was.

and like i say i definitely want rid of the skip shift crap...cause i drove the car for 20 minutes and i already miss not having 2nd gear whenever i want it.

I have CAGS on my WS6 and dont mind a bit. I have learned to shift around it. Normally shorting 1st at around 2K or less. Then again, I drive my stuff nicely

Thread Information