Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Race cars have a clutch redss454's Avatar

Black
    2000 Z28

Cool New Owner with some quest.

Whats up guys. I finally found teh car I have been looking for, for awhile. I went to look at it and signed on teh dotted line, and am picking it up Wednesday. Here is teh sight where I found it: 2000 Camaro Z/28

It is not an SS, and the dealer was upfront about it. I wasn't to interested whether it was a real one. Now, this was my first question. My expertise lends itself to the difference between the SS and the Z's of old. In the old days, teh Z's were the high-winding 302's, and the SS was an appearence/performance package. I know that the motors are similar (difference of 10hp?), but what else is the difference between teh models. I used teh search, but didn't find a true defintive answer.

I read about the "skip-shift". I understand that shifts automatically from 1st, to another gear depending on RPM, speed, and time? Sounds about right?

Is the Hurst handle the stock handle? Or is it a short throw? After years of driving an M-21, anything closer then that is a "short throw" to me.

And is syntetic oil really all it's cracked up to be? And is it to late to switch to it? Everything I have read regarding BBC's says that you have to use it soon after break in, so am I to late (64,000 miles)?

Sorry for being such a when it comes to these cars.

Chris

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

no worries man. ss is a appearence and a suspension upgrade. the h/p isnt 10 diff thats just marketing bs. the skip shift was and still put on cags is what i believe it is called, to save some gas. 20 bucks or just go tune it out. the hurst is a short throw. It was a factory option.

Black
    2000 Z28

Thanks for the quick reply Shady. How do I tell if my car still has the skip shift still programmed? I never really saw any parameters. And will the handle physically shift itself?

Chris

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by redss454 View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply Shady. How do I tell if my car still has the skip shift still programmed? I never really saw any parameters. And will the handle physically shift itself?

Chris
    nope its done all electronically. A light should come on, when its working. i do know the parameters either? do you have a hand held programer?

98' trans am

oh the SS also got a new exhuast system.

Black
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    nope its done all electronically. A light should come on, when its working. i do know the parameters either? do you have a hand held programer?
    So the car shifts to 4th gear in teh trans, but teh stick stays in 1? Strange. I don't have a programmer, but there is an LS1 Tuner out here on Long Island (The Vette Doctors) that I'm going to contact about putting a tune and programming it.

Chris

98' trans am

So the car shifts to 4th gear in teh trans, but teh stick stays in 1? Strange. I don't have a programmer, but there is an LS1 Tuner out here on Long Island (The Vette Doctors) that I'm going to contact about putting a tune and programming it.

Chris
    good stuff. any mods to it yet? or plans for moding?

Black
    2000 Z28

good stuff. any mods to it yet? or plans for moding?
    Car has the SLP lid and SLP exhaust. (I'm thinking the LM). That's where it's going to stay performance wise for now, other then maybe a good tune. It's going to be my fair weather DD, so it doesn't need to be super-fast (that's what I have my Chevelle for). Eventually I will do headers, and then maybe a cam or a procharger. As with everything else, it depends a lot on funds.

I am going to attempt to add the A-pillar gauge pod (Water temp and Oil pressure). I know the stock gauges are fine, but I have always been anal about what's going on in the motor. It's just a matter of stuffing my fat hands into the small engine bay.

I also plan on doing dark tints and and black ZR-1's, as well as GTS blackouts in the back. A buddy of mine has the ZR-1's that he's going to let me see how they look before I buy them though. Nothing looks better then an all black Camaro, IMO.

Chris

98' trans am

nice. well my advice for you is to pick up some headers and a ls6 intake before you go get it tuned. and also a cam if you really want to put one on. it will save you some money on the tune part. also dont neglect your suspension stuff. really your first mod should be some sub frame connectors. stops these f-bodies from twisting and saves your quater panels..trust me weld on sfc should be your first mod.

Black
    2000 Z28

nice. well my advice for you is to pick up some headers and a ls6 intake before you go get it tuned. and also a cam if you really want to put one on. it will save you some money on the tune part. also dont neglect your suspension stuff. really your first mod should be some sub frame connectors. stops these f-bodies from twisting and saves your quater panels..trust me weld on sfc should be your first mod.
    Yea. The funds are a bit low now, especially due to the price of the car, but I will keep that advice in mind. How much twist do the cars have, especially in teh T-types. I come from a "Full frame" background, so that's why I initially overlooked the SCT's. You like the weld on more then the bolt on's?

Chris

98' trans am

Yea. The funds are a bit low now, especially due to the price of the car, but I will keep that advice in mind. How much twist do the cars have, especially in teh T-types. I come from a "Full frame" background, so that's why I initially overlooked the SCT's. You like the weld on more then the bolt on's?

Chris
    the f-bods twist ALOT!!! almost every v8 f-bod that doesnt have and some that do have sfc will get dimples in the qpanels. also the t-tops have been known to pop off and also leak/not fit any more due to twist. so sfcs are really a must. um yea weld ons just are more solid and help more then bolt.

98' trans am

oh i forgot to tell you nice ride!!! black is soo good.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Welcome to the forum, I would answer your questions, but I think Shady has already taken care of you
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

i was going to buy that car i was supposed to pick it up this past saturday but something told me no. they wanted $15,000 with 64,000 miles i found a dealer in ct that has a 2002 ss mint with 42,000 miles for $16,500 i said sold. good luck with ur new car. oh they never told me anything about the car my salesman ron said he new nothing b.s i did all the research.

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    Welcome to the forum, I would answer your questions, but I think Shady has already taken care of you
    yea i try

Black
    2000 Z28

Shady, thanks for the help and the compliment. I will definately look into the SFC's.

Quote Originally Posted by 2000 ss View Post
    i was going to buy that car i was supposed to pick it up this past saturday but something told me no. they wanted $15,000 with 64,000 miles i found a dealer in ct that has a 2002 ss mint with 42,000 miles for $16,500 i said sold. good luck with ur new car. oh they never told me anything about the car my salesman ron said he new nothing b.s i did all the research.
    2000, I have been watching it online for a bit. THey lowered the price on it. I was out in the area today, and decided to stop by. They were open and I walked in. Took it for a ride, and it felt real tight. He showed me the work orders, and there was about $3K in work done (brakes, suspension work, other gremlins, new tires etc.) Liked it, and the rest is history. There was something aobut the way that it looked that attracted me back to it.

Thanks for the compliments guys,

Chris

Black/Black
    1999 Z28 M6 Vert

skip shift

the skip shift function works between 15 - 21 mph while in first gear and the throttle is less than ?? % open... basically when you go to shift a little light will come on and it will lock you out of second and third gear...when you pull down towards second it will automatically slide you over towards fourth...can be a real drag sometimes. such as pulling out into a busy street. can be eliminated with a 15-30 dollar bypass thing from jeggs or summit or ebay.

Chris
    I've heard good things about The Vette Doctors. My neigbor just moved down from NY had his '02 vette programmed there. That car is a beast. Good Luck.

Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

no worries man. ss is a appearence and a suspension upgrade. the h/p isnt 10 diff thats just marketing bs. the skip shift was and still put on cags is what i believe it is called, to save some gas. 20 bucks or just go tune it out. the hurst is a short throw. It was a factory option.

Or you could unplug it and throw a 1 dollar resistor in it from radio shack and be done with it. I forgot the specs on the resistor, but it is a simple board type resistor. Get the right ohms and you will have no problem. Cheapest bypass ever. I don't feel like jacking my car up and finding out for you right now, hopefully someone else can add to this discussion and enlighten us all.

2.2K resistor, I think
    Last edited by Roastem; 01-08-2007 at 07:38 AM. Reason: memory started workin'

PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

The SS included 17" wheels and tires, rear spoiler and hood scoop, exhaust and some minor suspension differences to answer what was not the same as a Z-28.

Thread Information