Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2000 kia

new meber w/ some q's...

first i'd like to say whats up.

Having dealing with honda's since i was 16, and passion for cars, i think its time to move up to big boy toys. I know honda's and acuras by every damn nut and bolt, every upgrade, top manufacturers for performance/parts etc. I hope to be the same way with chevy's one day.

anyways i come on here looking to get some info on the ls1 camaro, typically 99-02 in yrs. I live in toronto, so the scene up here is pretty much imports with the skylines aka shitlines, acura, honda, subaru and almost every family driving a toyota or nissan and not much info about american cars.

I first was on my way to saving for an early year C6Z but even the 1st production 06's with a few problems are still $40-$45k with 50k+ km. So now being more realistic i think with a few upgrades and a proper tune, i may be able to put down the same times as a stock Z and one day own a Z in a few years. Ive always liked the 99-02 camaro's, (the better looking front end) and if kept mint with tasteful mods and doing things rite and not cutting corners can keep its value...

my first question is, are the z28 and SS the same cars, because i always thought the SS was the top model.
    what are some of the rare combo's...like hardtop more rare than convertible, auto or manual? i dont know much but seeing alot of convertibles for sale
    also i understand ALL 2002 Camaro's are 35th anniversary editions, but whats up with the red one with the wings on it, special edition or collectors edition like the yellow WS6
    also, as far as intake, cams, headers, exhaust, which are the major competitors and well known.
    also, are these cars prone to getting stolen. I wont be driving this as my daily and it will be garage kept, but i think the best mod is peace of mind, andfor $500 (on the high end) can put some peace in my head.

ohh and p.s., i dont drive a 2000 kia, i just had to put something in the box when registering. im using my girls car because i want to buy the camaro in a few months
    Last edited by Family-man; 01-26-2011 at 12:41 PM.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

The Z28 and SS camaro's are not the same. The SS is the highest package you can get. Comes with the hood, the wheels, different wing, and a small change in horsepower.

in 2002 the Anniversary edition camaro's were the cars that were red with the white strips. The yellow trans am ws6 was a collectors edition of the trans am, due to the fact it was the last year of the car.

answering the question of whether an auto or six speed is better for you is simply based on you. What do you like best? everyone will tell you different. I have two camaros, one of them is an auto, one is a stick, but this argument could go one forever. IMO i prefer stick in these cars.

for the parts your talking about, brands i recommend are BBK, Hooker, SLP, Borla, etc.

hope this helps, best of luck with you purchase.

2000 kia

i read somewhere that every 2002 comes with the badge over the radio. so basically the red one with the stripes is just a special edition, i dont really like that color combo thats why im asking. also do the red ones with the striped tend to be more money because of the package.

ohh and another question, ive seen some camaro SS' with an SLP package, were those options or "add on's" when purchased new, or those are aftermarket bought

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Welcome to the site first of all...

The Z28 and SS are esentially the same vehicle as far as drivetrain goes. The SS did get the taller gear ratio standard where as the Z28 had to be optioned. The SS did get a few bells and whistles over the Z28 but most of which had to be ordered. A standard optioned SS I believe was just the exhaust, hood, wheels and spoiler. This topic has been beat to death over the years so you can definitely locate several threads on the matter.

All 02's are 35th anniversary cars, but there is a 35th ann. SS limited edition. That is the red one with the checkered striping up the hood.

Hard tops are probably the most rare out of the 3 in an LS1, but Ttop cars seem to be the most sought after. And it also seems the 6 speeds seem to be more collector worthy than the automatics. But I think that has something to do with what area you are in.

Check out our sponsor page for some upgrade/brand ideas.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/sponsor.php

2018 Tahoe - Silver - OEM

2008 Z06 - Velocity Yellow - BBE exhuast - Airaid CAI **sold**

2002 Z06 - Electron Blue Metallic - D1 - E85 - 701 rwhp 687 rwtq **sold**

2002 Z28: M6 NBM - cam and boltons - 396rwhp 357 rwtq **sold**

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by Family-man View Post
    i read somewhere that every 2002 comes with the badge over the radio. so basically the red one with the stripes is just a special edition, i dont really like that color combo thats why im asking. also do the red ones with the striped tend to be more money because of the package.

ohh and another question, ive seen some camaro SS' with an SLP package, were those options or "add on's" when purchased new, or those are aftermarket bought
    SLP is the company GM charged to turn the Camaro into the SS.

As far as their products go now, STAY AWAY!!! Unless it's the CAI lid, do not buy SLP.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    Welcome to the site first of all...

The Z28 and SS are esentially the same vehicle as far as drivetrain goes. The SS did get the taller gear ratio standard where as the Z28 had to be optioned. The SS did get a few bells and whistles over the Z28 but most of which had to be ordered. A standard optioned SS I believe was just the exhaust, hood, wheels and spoiler. This topic has been beat to death over the years so you can definitely locate several threads on the matter.

All 02's are 35th anniversary cars, but there is a 35th ann. SS limited edition. That is the red one with the checkered striping up the hood.

Hard tops are probably the most rare out of the 3 in an LS1, but Ttop cars seem to be the most sought after. And it also seems the 6 speeds seem to be more collector worthy than the automatics. But I think that has something to do with what area you are in.

Check out our sponsor page for some upgrade/brand ideas.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/sponsor.php

thats because having the tops off is wicked, brah. Had mine off earlier

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

The difference between the ss and the z28 is suspension hood and wing. The difference between gearing is the auto or m6. I forgot about the size of the rims to they are 275!!

Bright Rally Red
    2001 Camaro SS

The Z28 was the base model camaro with a V8.

The SS is just an appearance package with a slightly larger front sway bar on most models. SLP is the company who made the SS models through GM.

SLP, Borla, MagnaFlow, Pacesetter, Trickflow, TSP (Texas Speed Performance), UMI Performance, LG, BBK, American Racing, WS6store, etc... lots of aftermarket sources.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

I think he is looking for a formula. He wants rare(er). Where"s Justin? Tell him the production numbers.

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

You guys are forgetting Kooks

The SS is still a Z28. Just as the WS6 is still a Trans Am. It follows the same lines. SLP made upgrades to WS6/Firehawks such as bilstein shocks, shorter steering box (as far as lock-to-lock goes), and some came with power steering coolers. 17: wheels came on it, with 275/40/17 rubber, taller spoiler on the SS (WS6 TA remained with the factory high rise as the base TA), ram-air hoods for both SS and WS6, and sweet, cool looking circular exhaust tips. Not sure on the specifics of the exhaust, but who doesn't change that? Basically, who cares There's also the sway bar differences, can't remember if the spring/shock rate is any different

Basically, most everything mentioned above, is what any enthusiast would likely change sooner or later, basing on the simple fact that they modify their car to any given extent. Slam it, throw a lid on it with some longtubes, go with the off-road Y and a sweet muffler, or do true duals, whatever.

Most Z28s/TAs that were automatics (4L60E trans), were equipped with 2.73s. Some were ordered with the optional 3.23 gearing. I'm almost positive all automatic SS/WS6 cars had 3.23s, as I've yet to see on that didn't. 6 speed cars had factory 3.42s, no matter if you have the Z28 or SS, or base model Trans Am or upgraded WS6. 6 speeds are always 3.42s.

Rare? I say probably a WS6 formula hardtop with a 6 speed. IF... IF... it's a true WS6 car. Just check the RPO codes on the driver door. It'll read "WS6" if it's a real one or not. I personally love the way the 35th anniversary LE SS camaro looks. I think its sexy as hell. The yellow CETA WS6 however is a little Fugly to me. Probably because its more of a mustard yellow than a flashy bannana yellow

2000 Z - Light Pewter Metallic - A4 - 130k - Bolt Ons - My Pride and Joy
    2002 C5 - Electron Blue - M6 - 32k - My Dream Car

Bright Rally Red
    2001 Camaro SS

The ws6 package is a pontiac package not a slp package

Only Firehawks were SLP cars for the firebirds.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

While these guys debate, I'll just say -- Welcome to the site!

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I'll say welcome also...

And the checkered flag/stripes up the hood and down the rear hatch are not white they are gray.

Black
    '98 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Demon_Z28 View Post

The WS6's were done by ASC. Firehawks by SLP.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by tpilews View Post
    The WS6's were done by ASC. Firehawks by SLP.

sunset orange
    2002 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by bluehawk2000 View Post
    The difference between the ss and the z28 is suspension hood and wing. The difference between gearing is the auto or m6. I forgot about the size of the rims to they are 275!!
    The z's got 245-50-16's and the ss's got the 275-45-17's

Bright Rally Red
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    thats right ASC. I couldn't quite remeber it lol

what about the SAPP body kits which was equal to Chevy's RS sport appearence package.

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

SLP did them until '98, when Pontiac took over at the beginning of the model year

See above

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 02sunsetorangeZ View Post

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by 02sunsetorangeZ View Post
    Both my WS6 cars came with 275/40/17 Goodyears

Thread Information