Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    2011 Genesis coupe 2.0T

New and looking to purchase 4th gen LS1

Hey everybody! I'm 15 and live in harker heights texas. I'm looking to buy a 1998-2002 LS1 camaro or its cousin the firebird as a secondary car that may become primary. I was wondering if anybody had any things to look and watch out for and which years are better? It will preferably be an automatic, but may be a stick. My budget is $10,000 - $15,000, but am looking to be under $10,000 so I have extra money for modifications. Insurance is not an issue and will be paying cash for the camaro

Thank you for the help!

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by garner View Post
    Hey everybody! I'm 15 and live in harker heights texas. I'm looking to buy a 1998-2002 LS1 camaro or its cousin the firebird as a secondary car that may become primary. I was wondering if anybody had any things to look and watch out for and which years are better? It will preferably be an automatic, but may be a stick. My budget is $10,000 - $15,000, but am looking to be under $10,000 so I have extra money for modifications. Insurance is not an issue and will be paying cash for the camaro

Thank you for the help!
    Don't look for a particular year as much as the condition the car is in. A well-maintained car will be apparent. Sometimes aftermarket mods can be a sign of a car that was asked to "perform", but it's not always the case.

Now don't take this the wrong way, but your age is the biggest thing to look out for. You do not have a lot of experience in driving and these cars WILL get away from you easily. Take your time and get some experience with driving. A LS1 car can be "learned on" but let's face it, a Ford Focus won't exactly spin the wheels on demand. Respect the car's performance and don't be too aggressive.

Good luck.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

I agree with everything jad said and will also add, that of the LS1 years, the '01-'02s are typically considered to have the most potential and be the strongest, given they could be had with the LS6 engine block.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Quote Originally Posted by SiggyZ View Post
    I agree with everything jad said and will also add, that of the LS1 years, the '01-'02s are typically considered to have the most potential and be the strongest, given they could be had with the LS6 engine block.
    ^As stated.

Additionally, the 01/02 had the LS6 intake, no EGR and (stock) had the best flowing exhaust manifolds.
    67 Camaro: K-K + 797-z (look it up), 454/Th400/4.10 12-bolt = 6mpg, PS/PDB/PW tilt, tach, gauges...

2005 Corvette LS2/M6 Magnetic Red Metallic (What else would it be?) w/ Cashmere interior

2002 Z28: NBM/Tan, MTI smooth lid, smooth bellows, !AIR, !cats, 1-3/4" QTP SS LT's, 2-1/2" TD's with X-pipe, MagnaFlows dumped at axle, custom welded SFC's, MidWest Chassis body mount adjustable T/A, 3400 stall, 3.23 gears (was 2.73). Tuned: 343rwhp/357rwt (before TD's). Best: 12.559 @ 108+, 1.73 60' @ 3500' DA w/MT ET Street DR's.

Carbon footprint? CLOWN SHOE!

black
    02 HAWK aka the beast

If interested pm me I have a 01 ws6 sixspeed loaded with boltons with dana60 and 4:10 gears and many more adds foresale near Chicago. The color is pewter look in autotrader

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

Concur

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    ^As stated.

Additionally, the 01/02 had the LS6 intake, no EGR and (stock) had the best flowing exhaust manifolds.

2011 Genesis coupe 2.0T

Well I'll be doing mods from the start so would the ls6 intake really help that much? And I'm use to cars spinning the tires, I spin the tires on my genesis coupe everyday. I heard that the 4th gen ls1 is a heavy car, is this true?

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Well I'll be doing mods from the start so would the ls6 intake really help that much? And I'm use to cars spinning the tires, I spin the tires on my genesis coupe everyday. I heard that the 4th gen ls1 is a heavy car, is this true?
    My 02 weighs 34xx before I get in it and it's pretty optioned out.

The LS6 intake allows the engine to breath in the upper rpm region. Although my 02 is modded while the 98 isn't I notice a drop off in the 98 after 4500 rpm. The 02 is set to shift at 6200 when I race it.

See post #4 above for mods to the 02...

Impounded

VW BEETLE W/ FLOWER
    88 CRX

Quote Originally Posted by jad628 View Post
    Don't look for a particular year as much as the condition the car is in. A well-maintained car will be apparent. Sometimes aftermarket mods can be a sign of a car that was asked to "perform", but it's not always the case.

Now don't take this the wrong way, but your age is the biggest thing to look out for. You do not have a lot of experience in driving and these cars WILL get away from you easily. Take your time and get some experience with driving. A LS1 car can be "learned on" but let's face it, a Ford Focus won't exactly spin the wheels on demand. Respect the car's performance and don't be too aggressive.

Good luck.
    completely agree. you NEED a healthy fear and respect for these cars. or they will remind you whos the boss. only mods you should even think of at 15 are suspension, wheels, tires. good luck on the search. Oklahoma and Texas have some very reasonable priced F-bodies.

2011 Genesis coupe 2.0T

Quote Originally Posted by TmaxicanA View Post
    completely agree. you NEED a healthy fear and respect for these cars. or they will remind you whos the boss. only mods you should even think of at 15 are suspension, wheels, tires. good luck on the search. Oklahoma and Texas have some very reasonable priced F-bodies.
    I'm gonna baby it and probably not drive it in the rain so that it hopefully keeps traction. Only times I'll drive it is if I'm going to the track or if I get tired of my genesis coupe and feel like driving american muscle. We do have some pretty good priced f-bodies, just not that many that are easy to find...at least in Texas. My planned mods are exhaust and cut outs, cam, heads and intake(if it's not a 2001-2002), suspension, hoods(if not a ss or ws6), wheels, and maybe turbo/supercharger

I wish chevy would've made a crew cab ls series truck like dodge did with the ram srt-10 cause they would be amazing
    Last edited by garner; 09-18-2010 at 09:04 AM.

2011 Genesis coupe 2.0T

Quote Originally Posted by naperws6 View Post
    If interested pm me I have a 01 ws6 sixspeed loaded with boltons with dana60 and 4:10 gears and many more adds foresale near Chicago. The color is pewter look in autotrader
    It's nice, but you're in Illinois and I'm in Texas so too far away

2011 Genesis coupe 2.0T

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    My 02 weighs 34xx before I get in it and it's pretty optioned out.

The LS6 intake allows the engine to breath in the upper rpm region. Although my 02 is modded while the 98 isn't I notice a drop off in the 98 after 4500 rpm. The 02 is set to shift at 6200 when I race it.

See post #4 above for mods to the 02...
    So I'll probably go 2001-2002 since your 98 drops off after 4500. Although that mod seems easy, think this might be a mileage/condition decision on the years.

I'm not sure if 3400 is heavy or light. Seems heavy, but then I remember it's a v8 so I think it's light. Well either way it's definitely a lot lighter than the 5th gens

2011 Genesis coupe 2.0T

Hmm now I'm thinking of going with a LT1 c4 corvette cause it's a corvette and makes 300 hp, but I like the LS1 too. Why do decisions have to be so hard?

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Hmm now I'm thinking of going with a LT1 c4 corvette cause it's a corvette and makes 300 hp, but I like the LS1 too. Why do decisions have to be so hard?

That's not too hard a decision if it boils down to the engine. While the LT1 was a good engine, the LS1 is better. Opti-spark ignition and reverse-flow coolant systems were the two biggest issues with the LT1 design. While there are good LT1's out there - and I'm not trying to talk down about them - I don't think that many people would disagree that the LS1 took the LT1 to the next level.

2011 Genesis coupe 2.0T

Quote Originally Posted by jad628 View Post
    That's not too hard a decision if it boils down to the engine. While the LT1 was a good engine, the LS1 is better. Opti-spark ignition and reverse-flow coolant systems were the two biggest issues with the LT1 design. While there are good LT1's out there - and I'm not trying to talk down about them - I don't think that many people would disagree that the LS1 took the LT1 to the next level.
    That's true. The thing that makes it hard though is that it's a corvette so I'm not sure if I want a corvette or a f-body even if the f-body has the better engine

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

That's true. The thing that makes it hard though is that it's a corvette so I'm not sure if I want a corvette or a f-body even if the f-body has the better engine

I love Corvettes, but I still think the 2+2 of an F-body comes in handy. All comes down to personal preference.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

only vette I would buy at this point is a C5 z06 or a C6
    2012 Regal GS

2004 Cadillac CTS-V (Sold)
    2001 Camaro SS (Sold)
    1999 Camaro Z28 (Sold)

2011 Genesis coupe 2.0T

Quote Originally Posted by 2001camaroSS View Post
    only vette I would buy at this point is a C5 z06 or a C6
    If I sell my daily driver I'll get a C6, but I want to keep my daily driver which is why I'm looking at C4

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

If I sell my daily driver I'll get a C6, but I want to keep my daily driver which is why I'm looking at C4
    keep the daily driver and buy a 4th gen F-body. buying a C4 just because the name corvette is on it is foolish.

2011 Genesis coupe 2.0T

Quote Originally Posted by 2001camaroSS View Post
    keep the daily driver and buy a 4th gen F-body. buying a C4 just because the name corvette is on it is foolish.
    True. I think I'll go f-body cause they run cheaper and are newer

Thread Information