Navy blue
    99SS452WHP / 05R1

New car... have some questions

Ok I just purchased a 1999 camaro ss from a member here (kealap) and it is an amazing car and everything is going great I just have a couple questions. First involves the transmission/clutch. This is my first m6 car and I want to know what is the best way to drive it and keep it lasting long. For example when im going down a hill I usually just put it in neutral and drift but a friend told me that was bad for the synchros and it is better to just leave it in gear. Also if im coming to a stop and say im in 4th I usually just take it right to first when I stop but my friend also told me that was bad for the synchros and its better to hold the clutch in and go through all the gears until you get to first.
    Anther question I have is I have 315's on the back and the center of the tire is worn significantly more than the sides, the center is almost bald and the sides are still 1/2 tread. Is this due to over inflation or what? The wheels are 17x11's also so I know there not being squeezed. Thanks in advance. Adam

QuickSilverMetallic
    2005 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by sskid View Post
    Ok I just purchased a 1999 camaro ss from a member here (kealap) and it is an amazing car and everything is going great I just have a couple questions. First involves the transmission/clutch. This is my first m6 car and I want to know what is the best way to drive it and keep it lasting long. For example when im going down a hill I usually just put it in neutral and drift but a friend told me that was bad for the synchros and it is better to just leave it in gear. Also if im coming to a stop and say im in 4th I usually just take it right to first when I stop but my friend also told me that was bad for the synchros and its better to hold the clutch in and go through all the gears until you get to first.
    Anther question I have is I have 315's on the back and the center of the tire is worn significantly more than the sides, the center is almost bald and the sides are still 1/2 tread. Is this due to over inflation or what? The wheels are 17x11's also so I know there not being squeezed. Thanks in advance. Adam

Your friend is retarded. Ive had MANY m6 f-bodies and do the exact same thing. Clutch in when going downhill and stopping, and after being stopped I go straight to first gear. I've NEVER had a problem with anything doing it this way.

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

agreed......and yes overinflated.....check the tire pressure.......shouldnt have more than 32 or so in the rear.......28 would be better..thats where i run my rears.....or they could of just been beat on at the track....check the pressure anyways...takes to seconds....as to the m6 questions your fine doing everything u said.....i never go gear to gear.....for example i generaly go 1,2 then 4th or 5th..if im in 4th coming to a stop ill glide till the rpms get below 1k then push the clutch in and pull out of gear....when i come to a stop str8 to first.....3rd gear is my making a turn gear....or the famous highway race gear.....pulls so hard 70-110 ( my redline is raised)
    Last edited by tonyjnjz; 07-16-2008 at 06:55 PM.

white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

pulling your trans out of gear while coasting and re putting it in gear, isnt necesarrily hurting your tranny but putting un needed stress on the synchro you first go into.

as for last gear to 1st thats good, and yeah over inflation or lots of burnouts, probably both

Navy blue
    99SS452WHP / 05R1

Thanks guys

Thread Information