Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am M6

Smile New car.. Is this a good setup?

Hey guy's I am new here and new to the LS1 scene in general.. I just totaled my grand prix GTP last month that had quite a bit done to it for a GTP and with street tires I managed a 13.1.. No to bad for a V6.. Well when I totaled it I wanted something bigger and better.. So I went out and bought a 98 A4 camaro SS.. I am going to pull the motor out and rebuild it from the ground up so its fresh.. (My family owns a custom engine shop).. I guess my plans are to buy some used LS6 heads (port and polish them at our shop) and a LS6 manifold.. Then some LT header's and open up the exhaust.. Also going to change the rear-end gears to a higher gear (3.73 posi?).. I am hoping with that setup it will dyno around 430 RWHP with the new motor.. Is that realistic or what? It's just a guess.. Let me know what else I should do guys! Thanks! (SLP lid and stuff like that is a given)

UberTapping Friction Pimp Anthracis's Avatar

18D Cock Diesel
    1999 Z28; 98 SS #2043 RIP

Thumbs up Sounds Cool

Sounds good. I have been wondering the same things myself of late. Heads, cam, intake...all the usual stuff. Depending on the bore, etc...you can easily hit the 400+ mark with bolt ons.

I just started my mods. Ram air, lid, bellows, K&N filter, etc...(DONE) LS6 intake, 224 cam, P+P LS6 heads, headers, free flow cats, cutout (Coming Soon).

I also have a 98 ss! Good luck!!

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am M6

Will I hit the 400+ RWHP with JUST them things on a A4? I could do more for more power.. But I am just looking for the 400+ mark.. Will it be easy with just them mod's?

Awaiting Activation
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelmanLS1 View Post
    Will I hit the 400+ RWHP with JUST them things on a A4? I could do more for more power.. But I am just looking for the 400+ mark.. Will it be easy with just them mod's?
    with a really agressive cam, the ported LS6 heads, and bolt ons you should be close to 430rwhp. Check the dyno info section to see what power people are makng with similar mods.

UberTapping Friction Pimp Anthracis's Avatar

18D Cock Diesel
    1999 Z28; 98 SS #2043 RIP

Thumbs up and...

a good dyno tune will round it out for ya!

in doubt tach it out!!

BADASSZ28
    you will need a nice cam and heads to get to the 430 mark but it is very possible , go with 11.5 to 1 forged pistons 90/90 fast intake and tb ported heads nice 230-236 600 lift cam and you should hit 450 with a good tune

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

Hey guy's I am new here and new to the LS1 scene in general.. I just totaled my grand prix GTP last month that had quite a bit done to it for a GTP and with street tires I managed a 13.1.. No to bad for a V6.. Well when I totaled it I wanted something bigger and better.. So I went out and bought a 98 A4 camaro SS.. I am going to pull the motor out and rebuild it from the ground up so its fresh.. (My family owns a custom engine shop).. I guess my plans are to buy some used LS6 heads (port and polish them at our shop) and a LS6 manifold.. Then some LT header's and open up the exhaust.. Also going to change the rear-end gears to a higher gear (3.73 posi?).. I am hoping with that setup it will dyno around 430 RWHP with the new motor.. Is that realistic or what? It's just a guess.. Let me know what else I should do guys! Thanks! (SLP lid and stuff like that is a given)

you wont hit anywhere near 430 to the rear wheels.
    you will need a decent sized cam like a torquer v2 and a good job on hoggin out the heads.
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    you wont hit anywhere near 430 to the rear wheels.
    you will need a decent sized cam like a torquer v2 and a good job on hoggin out the heads.
    Yeah I guess I never said anything about the cam... Why would I have the motor out and rebuild it and not put a cam in? Lol but your right I never mentioned anything about it.. The plan is a set of LS6 heads (port them to the max and polish them) LS6 intake or fast 90/90, all the free stuff like egr delete, exhuast, lid and what not.. and around a .575 lift cam, and LT headers (no emission's in Oklahoma) Then posi 3.73 gears... I should be at my 430ish mark right? Sorry for not mentioning the cam

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Yeah I guess I never said anything about the cam... Why would I have the motor out and rebuild it and not put a cam in? Lol but your right I never mentioned anything about it.. The plan is a set of LS6 heads (port them to the max and polish them) LS6 intake or fast 90/90, all the free stuff like egr delete, exhuast, lid and what not.. and around a .575 lift cam, and LT headers (no emission's in Oklahoma) Then posi 3.73 gears... I should be at my 430ish mark right? Sorry for not mentioning the cam
    You need a bigger lift cam than .575 to hit your goal of 430 RWHP. You probably need more like a .590-.600 lift cam.
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

in doubt tach it out!!

BADASSZ28
    yeah you will need to spend alot of money!!!

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am M6

How about this...

Quote Originally Posted by Ridinfilthy View Post
    yeah you will need to spend alot of money!!!
    What will this get me, Around with a tune?
    98 camaro a4

3.73 posi gears
    BBK 80mm Manifold with billet TB
    Flowtech coated headers
    Comp cams .581 lift cam
    Port and Polished LS6 heads
    EGR Delete
    No cat with aftermarket exhaust..

(feel free to tell me what to get and not to get as far as brands.. I am new to the whole LS1 thing as my last car was a supercharged 3.8.. I would really appreciate you guys pointing me in the right direction)

That's all I have for now to do the rebuild with (I am going to pull the motor out and rebuild it fresh) What else so I do for more pony's? Thanks guys

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am M6

Please help guys

Bump... Does them mod's sound good or what guys? I need some help, thanks!

Red
    01 Z28

are you worried about gas mileage at all?

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by wade3673 View Post
    are you worried about gas mileage at all?
    I'm not too worried I don't want it to be like less than 10 miles a gallon.. I will have a second car to drive everyday.. I thought about going with Comp Cam's .525 or .550 lift cam.. But I want to be over 400rwhp

I also would like to still have the Camaro as a daily driver if the weather is good.. I don't want a super rough idle or anything since I set in the school parking lot a lot during lunch with my car running

Red
    01 Z28

have you thought about a power adder?

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by wade3673 View Post
    have you thought about a power adder?
    Like a supercharger? I used to have a GTP that was supercharged and absolutely loved that supercharger whine.. but I would like to keep the Camaro raw muscle, all motor...

Red
    01 Z28

the thing is, how much do you want to put up with so you can drive the car on the street "all motor"

why dont you start with the other stuff first instead of worrying about the engine. just do a few bolt ons like headers, lid, etc, and do a transmission build with a nice stall converter, a 12 bolt rear with 3.73's, and get your drivetrain setup to handle more power than you plan to put under the hood. those things alone will get you mid 12's with a good set of tires, and you wont have to worry about breaking a damn thing except the other guys ego.

when you have done all of that, and you're still not satisfied, then go to the engine.

in doubt tach it out!!

BADASSZ28
    those mods you mentioned should be close to 400 if not right at!!!!!if you want good idle get a wide lsa on the cam

Black
    98 Camaro

i agree with wade.. build up your drive train first.. then you wont have to worry about anything breakin when u do build the motor.. i have a torquer 2 cam without heads. and i built my trans with a 3500 stall and 4.10 gears, and im runnin 12.3's, and im not complainin

Thread Information