Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

artic white
    1998 Formula

New Camaro SS at track last night

Last night went to the local test and tune and was setting in line. I look to my right and what do I see a red SS sitting in tech. After I made my run I went to the stands to watch him. He bogged the hell out of his launch and ran 13.8 @ 105. He get's back in line and go's again well he launches a hell of a lot better and ran a 13.5 @ 109 but he f up his rear end and had to be hauled off on a roll back. The damn car did not even have plates on it yet. I wonder if this is happening a lot.

nbm
    99 z28

that sucks.
    I wonder if the warranty will cover him.

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

thats pretty stupid to take a new car to the track

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedAddict38 View Post
    No it's stupid he can't drive the car properly and broke it. Otherwise on youtube there is a vid of one of these running 12.5

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 SS Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    No it's stupid he can't drive the car properly and broke it. Otherwise on youtube there is a vid of one of these running 12.5
    "Really!!!", that's sweet can't wait for mine, wonder what happened to the one mentioned in this thread. 2 launches and it broke something? I don't care how you launch it that shouldn't break...

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedAddict38 View Post
    Are you kidding??? Pretty funny coming from someone with the name "SpeedAddict". I can't tell you how many brand spankin' new 4th gens I saw at the track. My father and I saw so many being abused that still had temp tags even, One day we looked at each other,,,and I'll never forget it,,,,the same thing came out of our mouths at the same time.

We said,,,,"Boy you don't want to buy one of those things used",,,,

Honestly though,,,that's what many people buy these cars for. Even in the 50's and 60's alot of the old muscle cars were bought specifically for racing, some never were registered for the street and even to this day only have a few thousand miles on em',,,,a quarter mile at a time. My Dad bought his 69 goat new,,,still has it too. He was racing it the first night with only 12 miles on the clock.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 05-29-2009 at 07:02 AM.

'99 -- Z/28 -- Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    the supercharged hennesy went 11.60's. didn't seem to have a problem with the rear-end either.

http://ls1.com/forums/showthread.php...ght=hpe+camaro
    Last edited by LS1Jason; 05-29-2009 at 07:05 AM.

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Are you kidding??? Pretty funny coming from someone with the name "SpeedAddict". I can't tell you how many brand spankin' new 4th gens I saw at the track. My father and I saw so many being abused that still had temp tags even, One day we looked at each other,,,and I'll never forget it,,,,the same thing came out of our mouths at the same time.

We said,,,,"Boy you don't want to buy one of those things used",,,,

Honestly though,,,that's what many people buy these cars for. Even in the 50's and 60's alot of the old muscle cars were bought specifically for racing, some never were registered for the street and even to this day only have a few thousand miles on em',,,,a quarter mile at a time. My Dad bought his 69 goat new,,,still has it too. He was racing it the first night with only 12 miles on the clock.
    would not put a new car on the track till it was broken in

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

Did he have slicks on the car?

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

In my opinion, you have to look at it like you just installed a new rear, tranny, and engine, because it's all BRAND NEW...you should never take a car with less than at least 500 miles on it to the track...something is bound to break. Again, this is just my opinion.

U. S And A Greatest country in all of world

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KArcticSS View Post
    In my opinion, you have to look at it like you just installed a new rear, tranny, and engine, because it's all BRAND NEW...you should never take a car with less than at least 500 miles on it to the track...something is bound to break. Again, this is just my opinion.
    But if you have a warrenty.........

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Crash View Post
    But if you have a warrenty.........
    True enough, but I wouldn't chance it. I know a guy who tried that, come to find out the owner of the dealership was at the track that night.....

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KArcticSS View Post
    True enough, but I wouldn't chance it. I know a guy who tried that, come to find out the owner of the dealership was at the track that night.....
    The way i look at it is if they can make the car to go that fast, it should be able to do that. What if that person had just done a launch on the street? does that somehow make it any different? Also why would the owner of the dealership care? GM is the one who would be paying out of pocket. As long as that person had not modified the car, they warrenty should cover any breakage.

dam GM!!!!!

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

The way i look at it is if they can make the car to go that fast, it should be able to do that. What if that person had just done a launch on the street? does that somehow make it any different? Also why would the owner of the dealership care? GM is the one who would be paying out of pocket. As long as that person had not modified the car, they warrenty should cover any breakage.

dam GM!!!!!
    Very different.....It says in the manual not to jack rabbit start the car or hard braking for the first 500 miles. That guy is a fucking retard, always break in a car/new parts for 500 miles before racing. Hopefully they don't cover it, and he can't afford the fix and goes to a fucking hyundai or honda where he belongs
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

Crash is right. Nothing to worry about. As far as break in period??? There really is no need to worry about that either.

Racing the car with 5 miles or 500 miles isn't going to have a bearing on it. As I mentioned my father raced his brand new 69 goat with only 12 miles on it. Still owns the car, and it wasn't until 180,000 miles later when we finally built the first motor and tranny for it. It was only using oil at the time.
    We have been building brand new engines in the shop, and sticking them on the dyno. After a short 20 minute cam break in and varying the load to seat the rings,,,it was ready for some hard high rpm pulls to tune and find peak HP. Every high end engine building shop in the country does this. Then install it in the car and go racing.

Racing a new car is no different. People have done it for the last 50 years.

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post
    Very different.....It says in the manual not to jack rabbit start the car or hard braking for the first 500 miles. That guy is a fucking retard, always break in a car/new parts for 500 miles before racing. Hopefully they don't cover it, and he can't afford the fix and goes to a fucking hyundai or honda where he belongs
    do you have the manual? jack rabbit start and hard braking, nothing about drag racing also how do you know he didnt have more than 500 miles on the car? well how do you know? So if it had over 500 should GM cover it? I think even if it had 5 miles on it they should cover it.

do you have the manual? jack rabbit start and hard braking, nothing about drag racing also how do you know he didnt have more than 500 miles on the car? well how do you know? So if it had over 500 should GM cover it? I think even if it had 5 miles on it they should cover it.
    Ya they would probably cover it anyway. But you know if it makes these guys feel better to baby the car for 500 miles then have at it.
    But in reality if the car is going to break something at the track,,,whether it has 5 miles or 500,,,,it's going to break. If there is a weak link you'll find it at the track regardless of mileage.

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Crash is right. Nothing to worry about. As far as break in period??? There really is no need to worry about that either.

Racing the car with 5 miles or 500 miles isn't going to have a bearing on it. As I mentioned my father raced his brand new 69 goat with only 12 miles on it. Still owns the car, and it wasn't until 180,000 miles later when we finally built the first motor and tranny for it. It was only using oil at the time.
    We have been building brand new engines in the shop, and sticking them on the dyno. After a short 20 minute cam break in and varying the load to seat the rings,,,it was ready for some hard high rpm pulls to tune and find peak HP. Every high end engine building shop in the country does this. Then install it in the car and go racing.

Racing a new car is no different. People have done it for the last 50 years.

Great point. look at top fuel, how long do those run before they race it? what maybe 5 minutes. same with nascar. when they build their motors they dyno them right after the 15-20 min "break-in". really after the first five minutes, all of the parts have already worn in together.

Stock
    2002 Camaro

They prob only say to wait 500 miles because they know alot of people wont. that way they can just say "o well you did break it in properly" ANd if you ask me this guy did "Break it" in.

They prob only say to wait 500 miles because they know alot of people wont. that way they can just say "o well you did break it in properly" ANd if you ask me this guy did "Break it" in.

Ya I just wonder what broke in the rearend and if this is going to be a common accurance,,,since it does have that IRS afterall. I thought GM was supposed to beef that thing up?? With the power it's making and the heft it's hauling around that thing better have a decent halfshaft in it.

Thread Information