Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

New Camaro Disappoints Critics

http://cars.com/go/features/autoshow...evrolet_camaro

What a disappointment, I loved the original Camaro concept floating around. They are right, it looks like a Mustang/Corvette mixture. Wheres the curved fenders? They have been doing this since '69 so they have no excuse to box it up! They got the nose right, but the headlights, CHEVY symbol rather than the CAMARO symbol on the front, sides, look like a '68 stang, lights look vettish, and the FUCKING BIG ASS CHEVY SYMBOL! Don't get me wrong, I am a Chevy enthusiast, but this is ridiculous. This IS NOT how they have made chevy's in the past. Fuck the new design, I'd get a 1st gen over this any day!

Hey what's wrong with Rush CD's ?

SRT4SC
    Well when the guy says the Challenger was the "Bell of the Ball" you can automatically assume everything else he is gonna say is bullshit! The day the Camaro was released I didn't hear a damn thing about the Challenger and the only thing I have heard about it in the news is a tiny barb about it on MSNBC. It's apparent the guy is a Mustang lover. They're pony cars, there's only so much you can do with the shape of things to diffentiate them, they are all gonna have similiar features.

The Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by SRT4SC
    Well when the guy says the Challenger was the "Bell of the Ball" you can automatically assume everything else he is gonna say is bullshit! The day the Camaro was released I didn't hear a damn thing about the Challenger and the only thing I have heard about it in the news is a tiny barb about it on MSNBC. It's apparent the guy is a Mustang lover. They're pony cars, there's only so much you can do with the shape of things to diffentiate them, they are all gonna have similiar features.

Yeah I am with you on this. This guy doing the article was a jackass. My mullet is still stylish and I love Rush AND Skynard! J/K all kidding aside, I don't think GM is that far off with the Camaro. At least they are trying to make another one guys!

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

They just need to go back to the old pics that was a out a few months ago.

The Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by BIG D's SS
    yeah these are badass!

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

Quote Originally Posted by The Rookie
    yeah these are badass!

Black
    1998 Camaro SS

Not overly impressed by Camaro Concept Car

I am as big of a Camaro fan as they come. I have owned two 1969 Z/28s, my son now has a 1969 Z/28, and a 2001 Z/28, my son-in-law has a 1968 Camaro, and I have a 1998 SS with an LS6 engine. My brother has a 2003 Z06 and is building a 1969 A-sedan Camaro.

None of us feel that the Camaro concept car captures the essence of either the 1969 or the last generation. To all of my family, it looks like an overly big street cruiser for the kids, with huge, heavy wheels. We all want the Camaro to return, but we are disappointed thus far in what we se. I am going to the LA auto show tomorrow and hope to tell the Chevy representitives what I think. And by the time is does appear (2008 at the very earliest), the retro craze may be passed. I, for one, would prefer a modernized, smaller Camaro, with the emphasis on performance, not street-crusing.

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

Quote Originally Posted by runnerdon
    I am as big of a Camaro fan as they come. I have owned two 1969 Z/28s, my son now has a 1969 Z/28, and a 2001 Z/28, my son-in-law has a 1968 Camaro, and I have a 1998 SS with an LS6 engine. My brother has a 2003 Z06 and is building a 1969 A-sedan Camaro.

None of us feel that the Camaro concept car captures the essence of either the 1969 or the last generation. To all of my family, it looks like an overly big street cruiser for the kids, with huge, heavy wheels. We all want the Camaro to return, but we are disappointed thus far in what we se. I am going to the LA auto show tomorrow and hope to tell the Chevy representitives what I think. And by the time is does appear (2008 at the very earliest), the retro craze may be passed. I, for one, would prefer a modernized, smaller Camaro, with the emphasis on performance, not street-crusing.
    A 1969 A-sedan Camaro. I work at Yeat One and what is a sedan Camaro. They were either a coupe or vert.

Black
    1998 Camaro SS

A Sedan Camaro

An "A sedan" Camaro (usually written as A/S) is one that has been prepared to run in that class in SCCA or vintage road races. This class contains race-prepard Camaros and Mustangs, and the occassional Javelin, Challenger, or Barracuda. They are for road racing only, and the rules were very similar to those of the original Trans-Am races, before Trans-Am became tubular frame all-out racing cars that bore no resemblance to what the manufacturers actually sold.

The Rookie
    WOW... You learn something new everyday.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

the ss better have the 427 LS7, i'll drive a caravan with that engine in it
    98' SS Convertible Camaro-76k-Build # 1471, Cragar SS rims, RK SFC's, MAC Panhard, LSX Tune, Shaner S3,
    SLP:short thro,Strut tower brace,fan switch
    MTI Power induction kit,40 Series muffler,Pacesetter LT's + ORY,12 CD changer,3800lbs
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/787506/1

SRT4SC
    You just can't please everyone. You guys gotta remember why we haven't had any camaro's for the past 4 years, females have to buy the car as well as older professionals. This car will not make it if it is just a street brawler. When the new mustang came out the women and men where I worked were all talking about how great it looked and how bad they wanted one. If Chevy can't build a car that can pull in the women then history will repeat itself. We should be happy we are getting a chance to get our baby back and I keep hearing a lot of bitchin! And for the people who actually believe that Chevy would ever put a big block or an LS7, quit dreaming and be happy with a 400hp small block, you could have a 300hp mustang! Big Block would make a Hummer look like a hybrid in the gas mileage dept. and the LS7 is what, $14,000? Give me the LS2 without the torque management or any other sort of technical gizmo to kill the performance, a beefed up rear end that will not blow seals left and right, and an independent rear that can put the power down without the nasty wheelhop, a 6 speed manual, 5 speed auto(ditch the 4 speed auto)weight under 3500lbs and price it under or at $30,000 and you will have a winner!

1999 Chevy Camaro

I always liked the orange one in the middle. I just didn't like the front end.

Ahh, thats better .

Rob

1999 Chevy Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by myk02k
    http://cars.com/go/features/autoshow...evrolet_camaro

What a disappointment, I loved the original Camaro concept floating around. They are right, it looks like a Mustang/Corvette mixture. Wheres the curved fenders? They have been doing this since '69 so they have no excuse to box it up! They got the nose right, but the headlights, CHEVY symbol rather than the CAMARO symbol on the front, sides, look like a '68 stang, lights look vettish, and the FUCKING BIG ASS CHEVY SYMBOL! Don't get me wrong, I am a Chevy enthusiast, but this is ridiculous. This IS NOT how they have made chevy's in the past. Fuck the new design, I'd get a 1st gen over this any day!
    I just finished reading it, and this guy is spot on!! Well, he does go a bit far with the cheesey jokes. Everything I've been saying since they made the concept pictures more of a reality .

Rob

z06vette

NEW SS Concept

Lets face it if they produce that car it willl bomb on them. It has to be the ugliest creation I have seen. Perhaps Chris Mangle from BMW was in on it or Chrysler designers. THey must have had some rotten Chinese food when they designed it. GM has clowns running the company, as seen by their stupidity in marketing. They can't even copy the competiton
    Why do girls have to buy cars; cars that are supposed to be performance image cars? Let them buy Miatas and such. I can't believe how many non 6 speed Corvettes get sold. A travesty. At least they don't make the Z06, whihc I own a 2004 edition of available with auto trans. I am also building a Mark Donohue/ Penske A/S 1969 Camaro replica since it won't allow me to post a proper link hsr-westracing.com/graphics/Z28_small.jpg
    Last edited by z06vette; 01-13-2006 at 01:14 PM.

Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Thumbs down back to the earlier concepts please

I agree-- the earlier concepts shown in these pictures were all better: leaner, sharper, not as "thick" and heavy-looking (like all those recent Chryslers, even the new Challenger concept, to some extent). And WHAT is with those strange tail lights on the auto show Camaro concept car? And finally, why can't Chevy (or any automaker) please resist the "me, too" temptation to put 20 or 22 inch wheels on a concept car? I mean, I really don't want my next Camaro to look like some gangbanger's wet dream.

Sorry, Chevrolet, but my vote is

Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Thumbs up Better a replica of a real Camaro than the chunky concept car

Quote Originally Posted by z06vette
    Lets face it if they produce that car it willl bomb on them. It has to be the ugliest creation I have seen. Perhaps Chris Mangle from BMW was in on it or Chrysler designers. THey must have had some rotten Chinese food when they designed it. GM has clowns running the company, as seen by their stupidity in marketing. They can't even copy the competiton
    Why do girls have to buy cars; cars that are supposed to be performance image cars? Let them buy Miatas and such. I can't believe how many non 6 speed Corvettes get sold. A travesty. At least they don't make the Z06, whihc I own a 2004 edition of available with auto trans. I am also building a Mark Donohue/ Penske A/S 1969 Camaro replica since it won't allow me to post a proper link hsr-westracing.com/graphics/Z28_small.jpg

The link to the photo of the replica Penske 69 Camaro is worth looking at -- now, THAT is the look the new Camaro should aspire to!
    (Was "Bolide," member since 5/2000). 2000 Camaro SS, M6. SLP Level 1 susp, SFCs + STB, cold air kit, 1.85-1 rockers, Race LCAs + Panhard, Richmond 3.73 gears, B&M Ripper, Shaner S2, MAF ends, Hypertech etc. 328 rwhp (stock tuning)

So this guy who I've never heard of, on a site worth buppkiss, thinks it sucks. (something tells me this person has had very few good things to say about any Camaro, ever...) Meanwhile the thing has won two pretty big awards already, both for the unvieling and just for BEST IN SHOW at NAIAS (that one from Autoweek). The automotive press at the event was overwhelmed, and it drew crowds unlike any of the other vehicles there. Rumor has it the response was big enough the GM brass greenlighted work toward production on the spot.

Yep, huge failure. It sucks alright.

Bullfreakin' Shit, it looks hotter than hell to me. I WILL buy one if they build it close to that concept. My only area of complaint lies w/ the interior, but that is obviously a concept-only interior that is no where near what would make production so I'm not too worried about that...

And I put zero stock in anyone's opinion who thinks it doesn't look like a Camaro. The thing screams Camaro (true it doesn't scream 4thgen, but that is not a problem IMO). It's one of the hottest concept cars I've seen in recent years.
    Last edited by Camaro Fan; 01-13-2006 at 09:27 PM.

Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

eye of the beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Camaro Fan
    So this guy who I've never heard of, on a site worth buppkiss, thinks it sucks. (something tells me this person has had very few good things to say about any Camaro, ever...) Meanwhile the thing has won two pretty big awards already, both for the unvieling and just for being the best vehicle at the show (that one from Autoweek I think). The automotive press at the event was overwhelmed, and it drew crowds unlike any of the other vehicles there. Rumor has it the response was big enough the GM brass greenlighted work toward production on the spot.

Yep, huge failure. It sucks alright.

Bullfreakin' Shit, it looks hotter than hell to me. I WILL buy one if they build it close to that concept. My only area of complaint lies w/ the interior, but that is obviously a concept-only interior that is no where near what would make production so I'm not too worried about that...

And I put zero stock in anyone's opinion who thinks it doesn't look like a Camaro. The thing screams Camaro (true it doesn't scream 4thgen, but that is not a problem IMO). It's one of the hottest concept cars I've seen in recent years.

"Bullfreakin' Shit?" Well, golly, Miss Molly, you're sure fired up, aren't you? The fact is, you are quite right that it was a star of the show (read Jim Mateja's auto column in the Chicago Tribune, for example, pointing out that photographers were still circling around 6 hours after the 'unveiling'...) However, a number of us on this board have problems with the looks of the concept. Maybe it's just older guys like me, and perhaps the concept car is aimed more at the 20 to mid-30 year-old market, like you. Personally, I think GM is very capable of good styling, like the great job they did with the 4th Gen Camaro: beautiful lines, a blending of multiple compound curves almost equivalent to the series I Jaguar XJ6 in "rightness" of the design; agressive, yet sensuous. Also, witness how well GM evolved the design of the C5 to the good-looking C6 and new Z06....

However, this one is, I feel, designed to appeal to the Escalade lover: harsh, strident angles, wannabe "macho" wheel arches, excessively chunky hips (compare the graceful A-line hump of the original Gen 1 to this concept), overly protuberant primary elements like that thin-lipped, jutting grille, etc. A comic-book action hero comes to mind when I see it. I agree with you in one sense when you say "The thing screams Camaro": the design sure does scream, all right. "Shrieks its head off" is more like it, actually. And I tend to put zero stock in the judgment of anyone who goes around saying they "put zero stock" in any opinion that contradicts his own.

But hey, that's just MHO, too. Let's hear what more current Camaro owners have to say in this thread....

Thread Information