Black
    2001 Camaro SS 1LE

New 2 Piece SLP Y-Pipe Won't Fit - Happen To Anyone Else?

Hello,

I've purchased 3 SLP Y-pipes, Part # 30135, in the last 20 years for 3 different cars (1998 Z-28, 2001 Camaro SS, and a second 2001 Camaro SS). The first two pipes were the original One-Piece Design and they fit perfectly on to the stock Camaro Catalytic Converter Studs.

My current car is an '01 SS with 27,000 original miles on the car and 525 Miles on the Engine. I recently bought the SLP Y-pipe and a Corsa Cat-back for this car, from a huge Internet Performance Site (S____t Racing), and the Y-Pipe is the new 2 piece design. The holes in the 2 Flanges are too wide to fit on to the Cat Studs, so I had to put the Stock Y-Pipe back on, and very easily it went back on. The two Cats are the original ones from the factory. Here is a picture of one SLP Flange, and note that the stud on the right still has not made it over the threads yet :

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180523_210915.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	37.7 KB 
ID:	26948

I got on a 3-way phone call with SRacing and SLP Tech, and SLP said it looks like a Production Error where the wrong Flange was installed. SRacing checked 4 other pipes they had in their warehouse and they were all the same. The issue for me is that this new 2 piece design has been out for some time, and no one else seems to have reported this problem. Even if I ground out the two holes a little bit more to force it to fit, the Nuts would be so close to the pipe I would probably not be able to get a Socket on them.

The factory pipe went right back on easily and the studs were pretty much in the center of the 2 holes of those flanges. I can send the SLP pipe back for a refund. I was hoping not to install the Corsa Cat-Back on to the Stock Y-pipe, but that seems to be off the table at this point.

HAS ANYONE ELSE OUT THERE HEARD OF, OR EXPERIENCED THIS ISSUE,,,?? Anyone know where I can get one of the original One-Piece design SLP Y-Pipes which will have a much better chance of fitting.., or a Stainless Y-Pipe of another Manufacturer that will fit?
    Thank you……
    Last edited by NastySS; 06-03-2018 at 02:19 PM.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

First I've heard, but that isn't saying much. I ditched my catalytic converters and run a Kooks Y connected to Kooks headers and the SLP LMII exhaust currently. Previously though when I did have catalytic converters, I ran the SLP y-pipe and it fit fine (old design).

If their inventory stock measured the same as your piece, wouldn't that tell them what they have in stock is also wrong? Lol.

Measuring the distance between two studs is about as easy as it gets with regards to manufacturing and holding a tolerance. I'm sure those flanges are laser cut or CNC machined and all programmed as they're making high volume. Don't see how it would be wrong unless they welded the wrong flange on by mistake.

Is it possible they sent you a y-pipe for a different year or model car?

If they're willing to refund it, I would go that route and buy one that fits right.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS 1LE

Thanks for the help Jon. Yes, SLP know knows they have a large issue here, but they did not seem overly concerned, which was a bit disturbing. The Guy did say that it seems the wrong Flanges were welded on. S_____t also knows they have a bunch they have to send back to SLP as defective.

I think it's been less than a year since SLP went to the 2 piece pipe, so my best bet is to call around to see if anyone still has any of the Old design one piece pipes. Most sites still have pictures of the one piece pipe as did S____t's web site when I bought mine.

Man, I would sure like to hear from someone who bought the 2 piece pipe that did fit, because that manufacture date on the "GREEN" box label may be the key to a good batch that is not defective, if one does in fact exist.
    Last edited by NastySS; 06-03-2018 at 03:23 PM.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

You can try Ebay or some of the for sale sections on various car forums. Might get lucky getting the older design if you're set on using SLP.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS 1LE

Actually, I'm not set on using SLP, if there is another quality option. I did mention this at the end of my original post. I just want a Stainless Steel 2.5 inch Mandrel bent Y-Pipe that is designed to fit without modifications like the SLP one is, or was until now. I haven't actually looked yet to see if another one of this previous quality and fit exists. Sounds like you may have one in mind Jon? I have several other crises I'm working on simultaneously, so if you can save me some time that would be really great.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Well, I mentioned Kooks in my original reply as they're (imo and most others) the best. ARH would be 2nd best.

TSP, Hooker, Stainless Works and just about any company that sells exhaust systems should also make a y-pipe.

You can also have a local exhaust shop make you one. That might even be cheaper yet.

Not sure what your budget is.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS 1LE

Hello all, some additional information here......

After much work and three-Way calls with Summit and THE SLP TECH DEPARTMENT, it had been determined that all the new (In the last year) 2 Piece Y-pipes made for the '98 -'02 LS1 Camaro and Firebirds, have been constructed with the wrong Flanges, WHICH ARE TOO LARGE, AND TOO WIDE. The holes in the flanges that are supposed to line up with the studs in the stock cats, are too wide to fit on the factory studs, AS MY PICTURE ABOVE CLEARLY SHOWS. ON Tuesday 6-5-18, I HAD A LENGTHY CONVERSATION WITH AN SLP TECH REP, WHO SEEMS VERY CONCERNED AT THE TIME, said he was going to get right with the Engineers and other important people involved to some up with a solution, and said he would get back to me in 2 days time.

AFTER WAITING SEVEN DAYS WITH NO CONTACT FROM my SLP contact, I called him that day. 6-12-18. He was at lunch at the time. I left him a concerned VM and asked him to get back to me ASAP TO FIND OUT WHAT HE HAS DISCOVERED. It is now 3 days later and I have yet to hear back from him. Thoroughly inexcusable..!!

Luckily, Summit had a GM FACTORY CAT in their warehouse, one of the THE SAME ONEs THAT are IN MY CAR. Summit tried to mate it with an SLP Y-pipe in their facility and they were unsuccessful, which further verified my claim that their new 2 piece Y-Pipes do not fit. These 2 -piece Y-pipes are for sale all over the internet, and logic says most if not all of them will not fit over your factory cats studs. The SLP flanges are at least 30% larger all around than the GM Flanges. DO not buy any of these, or you will be surely disappointed, on top of the wasted hours working on the job, and reinstalling the factory Y-pipe like I had to do, and the necessity for many hours of total BS to return the part. Most sellers have them shipped directly from SLP, but some larger operations like Summit have some in stock at their facility.

I will update this post one more info becomes available.
    Last edited by NastySS; 06-15-2018 at 11:40 AM.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

How do you sell something for years without anyone complaining? Seems very odd to me.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS 1LE

Like I said earlier, these NEW 2 piece Y-pipes are less than a year in production. Prior to that, they were one piece pipes. I bought 2 of these one piece pipes in the last 20 years and they fit perfectly. SLP Management admitted to me that it seems that a production error had occurred, putting the wrong size flanges on these pipes.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Ok, so even 6 months lol. You weren't the first person to buy one.

Thread Information