Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

navy blue metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

Unhappy Greatly need some help, PLEASE!!

ok....so today I was driving my 02 Camaro SS around running some errands. The weather is about 25 degrees Fahrenheit outside and my car has been warmed up for a while now and my lights are on....well anyways, as I'm driving, i use my right turn signal to switch lanes and it blinks about once and then my car shuts off all of a sudden.

I coast till I hit the light, stop and turn the car back on. On my instrument panel, my right turn signal is lit up as it shows when your bulb has burned and you try to use it but it just stays on. Also, you can see the faint light of the brights lit up on the cluster too. So while I'm sitting at the light, I try to use the right blinker again and as soon as I do, it shuts off my engine AGAIN.

So the rest of the drive back home, I have the blinker light showing that its on in my instrument panel as well as the faint glow of my brights. I get home and I find this.......

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Notice how my brights are on, even though I never actually turned them on from inside, with one being brighter than other, but overall they are both very weak. Also, my right turn signal (left in the picture) is weaker and both my fog lights were supposed to be on, but only one is actually on, with it being very dim.

It troubles me that it will shut off my engine when I try to use the right turn signal....
    Now here's what's got me perplexed.....

I checked the battery voltage, and it is very good, around 13.1 volts
    I checked the fuses and there were no blown fuses,
    I checked and tried to trace wire from the fog lights and headlights and turn signals as far back as I could but noticed nothing out of the ordinary on them.

I have no idea what suddenly caused this. This has never happened before and although I have some mods, there is nothing done to the computer, yet......so please, ANY help???

OH!! and no trouble codes have been thrown at all either....

anybody have any possible clue as to what the hell is going on?
    Last edited by SajoR; 01-26-2009 at 06:47 PM.

SOM / NBM
    2002 Pro Z28/2001 TurboTA

Wow that sounds more like a ford electrical problem

navy blue metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

yeah no kidding.....but I still can't figure out what's going on. I know it has to be an electrical issue but I can't seem to figure out what. Upon further inspection I noticed now that my driver's side lights seem to work fine, but the entire passenger side lights are the ones acting up (fog, head and signal lights).

Don't know if this helps at all but if anyone can give me something or any advice, I'd appreciate it greatly.Thanks

navy blue metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

anybody? =(

Red
    2001 ws6

damn haha......have autozone check your altenator? haha i duno man thats weird

Arctic White
    1997 Trans Am

damn i love that GM wiring.

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Pontiac Trans AM

got to be a short somewhere something is possibly rubbing or maybe one of the breakers in the fuse box is burned out because there colored so you cant tell.. beats me???

navy blue metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

ok....i wish the weather was allowing, but since its 16 degrees here today with a wind chill factor of 12 with icy snow, there's no way i can work on my car, but i'm gonna try to see if i can find a short anywhere along the fuses or carefully inspect the wiring when I get the chance.

If anybody else has any ideas, PLEASE feel free to post a reply.
    Thanks guys

Arctic White
    1997 Trans Am

good luck.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

That's very strange!

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

sounds like a short to me, usually most unexplainable problems can be traced to a short

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

sounds like something that'd happen in a volvo or vw

RED
    2001 m6 CAMARO SS-SLP

i think it is a short
    2001 camaro ss m6 slp options
    slp loud mouth - k&n filter-SLP LID

WE have to fight off a new breed of ricers

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Is your column loose? Does anything change when you turn the steering wheel? You say you have 13 volts, is that with the car running?

Royal pain in the.... Phantom2kz's Avatar

2001 Z-28 A4 NBM
    2002 35th anni SS M6#1696

you have somthing that does not have a ground anymore and is feeding though another system to find a ground.
    being as is affected/related to lights. dis-connect the light switch in the dash, and re-test issues.
    if i had to take a guess it is either going to be in your ign. switch, or possibly in the multi-function switch.
    inspect the big connector at the bottom of the steering column. will need a 7 mm to take apart, look for burning, cooked terminals.
    or....i could be ...

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Check your headlight connectors*the giant plug*.. if it has them, Mine did it in the trans am. They were all loose and corroded and gay...

Silver & Black
    99 Camaro SS

Oh, no worry, you got the NASCAR edition. Your not supposed to turn right!

There is zero question as to whether you have a short, you do! Where? Points of commonality. JoshieDoom and Phantom2KZ just said the 2 common areas I know about. They're may be more joint chases of wire. But points that allow movement are most likely. I'd have to heavily lean to the multi-function sw (convenient for a driver but an engineering nightmare.)

For both the highs and lows to be on, likely shorted contacts. But you are likely bridging too, a long wire run from the battery back through harnesses and to the switch (then across a short of charred metal and solder) then back out a long wire going to ground.

navy blue metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

thanks for all the help and info guys, the only thing I can honestly I might try is to check the multi function switch and the plugs for the lights themselves, although last time I checked, almost certain they were fine and i don't see them being corroded with my car having only 60k miles.

also to bigrondownhiller, no the column is not loose nor does it change anything when i turn the wheel. I can drive the vehicle just fine, it's only when i use the right turn signal does it seem to kill the engine. And yes, I have 13 volts with it running.

Again, Thanks for the help guys and as soon as weather permits me, i'm going to get to the bottom of this.

Silver & Black
    99 Camaro SS

OK, warn you up front, I'm looking at a Haynes diagram. Before you try to get in the dimmer-turn signal (multi-sw.) I'd get into the Daytime Running Lamps Module. The Lt. and Rt. Turn Relays and the Hd Lt. Relay is there (Parking Relay as well). The Daytime running light system is a secondary run of wire (on sensor bypass of the manual switches, hd and prk).

This module could set up a bridge. Check the Hd Lt and Rt Trn Relay and the wires and contacts at that module. If you find nothing, pull the Rt. Relay and put the Lt. in its place (don't put the Rt back in the Lt.) Then start the car and test and see if you can now have your lights on and turn the Rt. signal on and see if the car keeps running (and the lights look right.)

This is the easier check.

The Headlight switch has a dual power feed...a fusable link and a 20A fuse. This could be bridged. But as I look the Turn Siganl and Dimmer looks less likely than I originally thought. But do the relay check and look at the Daytime Running Light Module closely before you check anything else!

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Quote Originally Posted by SajoR View Post
    thanks for all the help and info guys, the only thing I can honestly I might try is to check the multi function switch and the plugs for the lights themselves, although last time I checked, almost certain they were fine and i don't see them being corroded with my car having only 60k miles.

also to bigrondownhiller, no the column is not loose nor does it change anything when i turn the wheel. I can drive the vehicle just fine, it's only when i use the right turn signal does it seem to kill the engine. And yes, I have 13 volts with it running.

Again, Thanks for the help guys and as soon as weather permits me, i'm going to get to the bottom of this.
    You should have closer to 14 volts running.

Thread Information