Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS SLP

Need some help determing if car is really what they say

I am going to Maryland tomorrow to pick up a 2002 Camaro SS with the SLP perf package. I'm concerned it may be a clone and\or just have labels added to make it seem like it's one. I am also looking to determine it it really is a SLP car as well. How do I best determine if it really is an SS and that SLP installed the perf options?

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Look on the driver side door for the RPO codes, you are looking for WU8, thats the code for SS. Look on the passenger door for an SLP option sheet. Those 2 things should be able to authenticate the claims of the car. Good luck with it
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 camaro SS A4

yes WU8 should be on the RPO tag, just compare the tag's vin number to the car. Also most the cars I looked at didn't have a tag in the passager door, unless it had more options than the base SS. (dash plaque, grille, floor mats, ect...) Or just call slp with the vin number. (732) 349-2109 I hope you like it.

Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS SLP

Thanks for the help. Yup, it had the WU8, the tire size label was correct, etc.... It also has the SLP 345 HP upgrade.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by metsatvz400 View Post
    Thanks for the help. Yup, it had the WU8, the tire size label was correct, etc.... It also has the SLP 345 HP upgrade.
    Glad to hear and congrats, post some pix when you can

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 camaro SS A4

A4 or M6? also i bet your happy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    SS #2988, A4, Navy Blue Metalic, 335HP Dual Dual Exhaust, Chrome 10 spokes, Floor mats, Dash plaque, and SS Grille
    Best ET 13.08 @ 106.1, 2.00 60', with SLP lid

Limited Edition #1242
    2002 Camaro SS LE

Food for thought.... Anyone can add stickers to the car by purchasing them and they are readily availble on E-bay. Not to mention you can print your own if you get a template.

Request the VIN and then call GM. Have them check it out and see what they tell you. (800) 222-1020 OR search the web for Camaro VIN decoding information.

VIN / RPO Decoder: http://www.camarosource.ca/php/camar...year=1967&tm=1

May or may not give you results. I haven't had any problems with it...

Also call SLP and request whether or not they have the car in their records...
    (732) 349-2109

If you know someone who has a Whitebook, they should be able to give you additional information. Hope this helps.
    Mike

Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS SLP

specops94, I did the things you suggested before I went to pick up the car. It checked out. SLP said it as build # 7352 with a birth date of 5/02. Also, it definately has the SLP stuff on there. Unfortunately, it has the orange shocks which I believe means it has the stock suspension. I was hoping it had that changed as well but it was just a hope. The car has 69K on it but is in amazing shape both inside and out, the engine bay and underneath. No dings or scratches anywhere. It's silver with the black stripes on it. Will post pics once I get some. Been to cloudy and rainy the past few days here in NY.

Limited Edition #1242
    2002 Camaro SS LE

If you have verified the WU8 RPO and SLP confirms your number, the only thing you should worry about now is whether someone changed things out (ie shocks). SLP can tell you what options it came with but it will probably cost you a small fee. You can order a "Birth Certificate" and they will tell you what it had. I believe the cost is around $50 or so. Sounds like a solid buy. It is hard to give any advice as to whether it has stock suspension without measuring the sway bars and then checking the shocks to see if they are the Blistein package. Again, SLP has the info, it's just a matter of prying it out of them if you don't want to fork over the $50. Awaiting pics and any other assistance I may be please feel free to ask!
    Mike

Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS SLP

It had the stock suspension package (orange delphi shocks and struts). The SLP sticker on the passenger door listed the 345 HP perf package and the accessories like the deck mat, key fob, etc.... (unfortunately, the accessories were mostly gone by the time we got the car.) The right rear shock was frozen so I had to replace it. The car also is not handling as well as I would have thought so I'm bringing it down to a mechanic friend (rated Grade A and has his own business) to have it checked out. Thanks for the help. Steve

Limited Edition #1242
    2002 Camaro SS LE

Anytime! Hope everything works out and you get her riding correctly. I've got to polish the headlights in the morning...
    Mike

Thread Information