2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

My car is a jerk

Ok so my car is not a jerk, but it does get jerky at low speeds.

I do not know what all this car has had done to it. I haven't had it very long, and the previous owner did not know either. The car has gone through several owners, and has not been treated very well. It is a 2000 SS M6. I know it has an aftermarket cam, but no clue as to specs or even brand. I'm begining to think it has lower gears than stock also.

My problem. At low speeds, say about 10 mph, in 1st and small amount of throttle the car will get real jerky. Just like if you were in too high a gear. Like if you are driving slow in a parking lot. I have to either push the clutch in or give it gas and speed up. But if I'm coming to a stop sign I can put it in 1st and almost stop at the stop sign and give it gas and pull away fine. Just like in my stock Z28. It seems the problem is only if you are trying to maintain a slow speed. It has done it to me in 2nd, but I can down shift to first and it is okay.

Also it has been lowered and it is the roughest vehicle I have ever ridden in. I had a 2002 Z28 that was stock when I got it. So, I know what these cars feel like from the factory. And stock is very very soft compared to this. What can I do to fix this?

dbl clutch'n like i shld WICKEDLS1's Avatar

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

Quote Originally Posted by blackcar View Post
    Ok so my car is not a jerk, but it does get jerky at low speeds.

I do not know what all this car has had done to it. I haven't had it very long, and the previous owner did not know either. The car has gone through several owners, and has not been treated very well. It is a 2000 SS M6. I know it has an aftermarket cam, but no clue as to specs or even brand. I'm begining to think it has lower gears than stock also.

My problem. At low speeds, say about 10 mph, in 1st and small amount of throttle the car will get real jerky. Just like if you were in too high a gear. Like if you are driving slow in a parking lot. I have to either push the clutch in or give it gas and speed up. But if I'm coming to a stop sign I can put it in 1st and almost stop at the stop sign and give it gas and pull away fine. Just like in my stock Z28. It seems the problem is only if you are trying to maintain a slow speed. It has done it to me in 2nd, but I can down shift to first and it is okay.

Also it has been lowered and it is the roughest vehicle I have ever ridden in. I had a 2002 Z28 that was stock when I got it. So, I know what these cars feel like from the factory. And stock is very very soft compared to this. What can I do to fix this?
    the fix is drive it better lol ALL standard cars do that my goat does it too just like any other theres no problem with your car its all in the driving. try putting it into second next time it does it and see if that fixes it

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

My stock one never did. I bought it new in Oct. '01 and had it until Dec. '09.

I've had other standards that would do it if you were driving too slow for the gear (had it in too high a gear), but not when it is in 1st.

I bought my first manual in 93 or 94. This is the same jerk you get when you are lugging it down. But I've never had it this bad and never in first.

Is it a loss of torque? I know with some of the cams you lose low end torque, but gain on the high end.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

i had this problem with my last engine when i'd run my AC... are you running AC at all??? either way the problem can be fixed via tuning...

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

Haven't even turned the a/c on to see if it works.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

After my cam swap, my car does it all the time because my engine hates low low rpm's. Only way to fix it is to roll around in nuetral and throw it in gear when I need to.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

happens when the cars RPM's go under the set idle RPM i'd assume...

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    After my cam swap, my car does it all the time because my engine hates low low rpm's. Only way to fix it is to roll around in nuetral and throw it in gear when I need to.
    That is what I've been doin, or holdin the clutch in. That kind of supports my "no low end torque" idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    happens when the cars RPM's go under the set idle RPM i'd assume...
    I don't think the rpm's are going that low, but I will check and see.

Black
    1998 Z-28

My 98 Camaro does the same thing. It also has a large cam in it. Been doing it since I got it and I just speed up to fix it.

1999 F-150

basically your car is nicely asking you to drive it faster

98 Formula
    06 duramax

tune issue....your running airflow tables are off.

Thread Information