Silver
    2002/1969

Museum piece...or candidate to hit the road?

Hello,

My friend is busy and asked me to find out what kind of value his 2002 Camaro SS SLP with around 80 miles would be worth. Silver with a black t top and 6 speed. Surprised how muffled and solid the doors closed.....compared to the restored 69 396 4 speed sitting next to it, crunch. Brought back memories....also in silver and will be available as well. Kind of a checkered interior...? Whoever rebuilt it took it to a 427 cu.

Garage stored along with a 2003 maroon/tan conv corvette with...maybe 8k miles and a 65 chevelle 396 conv in black/red. Basically, I am asking for some expertise. Thank you for your
    consideration. Just trying to get advice to help a friend.

Right now I am also involved with one of my 2006 GTO's pulling to the left-----abs connected or not and believe me it has had new bbc rotors,bbc pads,ss hoses, delco module, pump....then back to stock Delco everything mechanical.....same. Oh, kyb struts, mounts, shocks, alignment..........brakes bled.........25 times I figure.....all at a dealer. Yikes. And to think I picked this 54k mile GTO born on my birthday to replace one with 110k miles...........that has no issues. Lesson learned, don't fear mileage. Sorry, a lot to take in.

Steve

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Letting a car sit for over a decade and only having 80 miles on it isn't good for the motor, at all.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Agree.

No idea on pricing -- I always say to myself that it is worth as much as someone who really wants it is willing to pay. Rotate the tires on the GTO and see if it still pulls to the left. If so, get a seamstress style measuring tape and check your stagger on all four tires to see if there is a difference.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Almost forgot:

Welcome to the site, Steve! I see you are also from PA -- come join us at GM Carlisle next year! We'll have a tent on the fairgrounds somewhere above the grandstand.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

kbb says ~$10k for excellent condition.

as for your GTO....is it pulling only when on the brakes or does it pull all the time?

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Mecum had a 35th anniversary edition with less then 100 miles this year and it went for high 20s or low 30s I think.

My guess would be for a 02 SS mid 20s if you find the right buyer who just really wants that one. I have noticed this year the super low mileage ones are being snapped up by collectors at auctions. The couple I talked to at the local auction both said they are betting on them long term.
    Last edited by raynor139; 10-08-2013 at 10:18 AM.
    Mods - Lid, Skip Shift Eliminator, MGW shifter, UMI SFCs, Founders Lower Control Arms, Founders Panhard Bar, Founders Adj. Torque Arm, UMI Torque arm mount, MWC Drive shaft safety loop, KONI Yellows, Strano Springs, Strano Sway bars, UMI Upper and lower A Arms, 160 thermostat, TSP headers and TSP true duals Monster stage 2 clutch, racetronix fuel pump, Strange S60 rear axle and tune by Frost.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

I have seen others like your 80 mile 2002 SS and the asking price is usually around 27k but I'm sure 25k would buy them. So I feel 25k should be your mark. BTY, sticker price on that vehicle with a few SLP options was in the low 30's so if you take 33k of 2002 dollars and take 25k of 2013 dollars for it you have lost about 11.5k. Next time buy gold or silver.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

If you spend the time and money to advertise it properly, and make attempts to sell it at collector type venues in popular areas of the country, and you're patient, then you'll possibly get collector type of money for it and likely see $20k plus. If you advertise it on craigslist or ebay, or the local papers, then chances are good you'll be lucky to get $10-$15k for it or you'll be sitting on it for a very long time.

It has alot to do with presentation, good quality pictures, and the effort you put in that will attract the serious buyers.

I seriously doubt they'll ever be as collectable as the classics, even the scarce SLP camaros and firehawks. I have seen low mile examples at the local auctions here hammer for low to mid $20's, but I'd be surprised if they ever get much higher than that.

Silver
    2002/1969

Hey folks...thank you for your replies, findings and advice. I will relay it all to the owner. Cars sitting...I know, but there are occasional great stories. My buddy stole...I mean located a 1941 Cadillac conv with 800 miles on it. Classic honeymoon trip miles....then Dec 7th. Husband enlisted, killed, wife never drove. Was in a parade the following weekend after tires aired up and a battery installed. Miracle. My buddy and his advisors look in Blue book and it lists his 03 vette with around 8k miles at $35k+??????? Hello, blue book....I bet 2013's new will be 50k- when the 14's are out so who would pay that much for two body styles ago? Turns out the oldies have crate worked engines, the Camaro 427 has 500hp and a cam lope that adjusted my back when I got it started. The Chevelle 400hp. So, new worked engines with under 200 miles on them. Plus, minus...who knows. The 02 started right up. Figures. 11 year old battery and it charged itself. Amazing.

GTO...has new tires...and a former GTO dealer and others are in frequently. Now, they are waiting on a national search to get the new SS brakes hoses off and go back to stock...some restriction or backflow pressure issue suggested by GM. Of course, GM has no $ in the game....they don't even have area service reps anymore. Go Govt. and they can cancel holding parts for 10 years because they went bankrupt. Nice. Wish me luck and again, thank you.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

The urge that some people have to buy a car and never drive it is always amazing to me. I've owned a couple of low mileage vintage cars and I have no qualms about driving them. My 69 Mustang convertible had 87K original miles on it when I bought it 15 years ago and it has 142K on it now. The car has been across country once and on the drag strip three or four times. The 69 Corvette 427/390hp coupe I sold a couple of years ago had 69K miles on it when I bought it in 2004 and 77K when I sold it in 2011. I didn't drive it enough. What is a car for if not to drive and enjoy? Point taken about the investment value of a 2002 Camaro with 80 miles on the clock. It is a lousy investment, to say the least. He may or may not be right at $11.5K depending on the inflation rate he used in valuing the money. There is also the consideration that the original buyer didn't buy the car for cash, in which case you'd have to add the financing costs. Anyway, it cost the original owner somewhere north of twelve big ones to "have" a car that he never used or enjoyed. When I think of the fun I've had putting 137,600 miles on my still strong Y2K Z28, I feel sorry for the owner. If you decide to buy the thing, drive it.

Thread Information