Thread: Mods Help

Red
    2000 Camaro

Mods Help

I just got a 2000 Camaro Z28, LS1, 6spd., wantin' more out of it, definitely want a cam that will make it idle like a race car, but still want to be able to drive it anyday, thinkin' serious about the flowmaster super 44's...any help will be great...

Black
    02 Z28

go check out the nitrous threads, -they will blow your mind!

2 SS's are better than 1 Jays00ss's Avatar

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

Tons of threads on mods but I would start with a new lid, Longtube headers, an underdrive pulley, A 3500-3800 stall for an auto, and what ever you do DO NOT GET FLOWMASTER. Magna flow or Borla is about the best. My buddy worked at a muffler shop and took off more flowmasters than he ever put on.

After that you will be ready for some suspension upgrades. Subframe connectors are a must, new torquearm, Rear lower control arms w/ relocaton brackets, Panhard bar, New gears or new rear end.

Then I would go for a new cam with at least an ls6 intake manifold (since you have a 2000 model). Texas speed 228R is an outstanding daily driving cam with a really nice powerband. But don't forget to up grade your Valve springs, Get new Hardened pushrods, And I would highly suggest a ported and shimmed LS6 oil pump and new ls2 timeing chain and gears.

There is a whole lot more to it than just throwing in a cam. Once you have your new found power, You'll have to be able to plant the power to the pavement and getting the suspension upgrades will help do just that. Just my .02 and have been around muscle cars 20+ years.
    2000 SS Camaro Heads, Large cam, Fast 90, 9"w/430's and locker, yada yada yada... you get the picture

1971 SS ElCamino 402 Big Block 550HP

2006 Silverado 2500HD 496 cubic inches of pure muscle

Black
    02 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Jays00ss View Post
    Tons of threads on mods but I would start with a new lid, Longtube headers, an underdrive pulley, A 3500-3800 stall for an auto, and what ever you do DO NOT GET FLOWMASTER. Magna flow or Borla is about the best. My buddy worked at a muffler shop and took off more flowmasters than he ever put on.

After that you will be ready for some suspension upgrades. Subframe connectors are a must, new torquearm, Rear lower control arms w/ relocaton brackets, Panhard bar, New gears or new rear end.

Then I would go for a new cam with at least an ls6 intake manifold (since you have a 2000 model). Texas speed 228R is an outstanding daily driving cam with a really nice powerband. But don't forget to up grade your Valve springs, Get new Hardened pushrods, And I would highly suggest a ported and shimmed LS6 oil pump and new ls2 timeing chain and gears.

There is a whole lot more to it than just throwing in a cam. Once you have your new found power, You'll have to be able to plant the power to the pavement and getting the suspension upgrades will help do just that. Just my .02 and have been around muscle cars 20+ years.
    Hells yeah!
    I like the way you think.
    I was gonna start with a rebuild on the lower end, and swap heads and cam in anticipation of a going forced induction. THen I saw the nitrous threads...while it would be cool to have a superchager whine, I'd rather not butcher my MPG further, and still have an extra 300+ HP available for when I need to spank a viper.

Red
    2000 Camaro

thank you sooo much, I will be using this new information when i start this project, any suggestions for a friend, he has a 97, pretty much the same as mine, just a different year...

puter/blk
    02 CAMARO Z28

the cas are the same but the 97 has a lt1

Quote Originally Posted by 00CamaroZ28SS View Post
    thank you sooo much, I will be using this new information when i start this project, any suggestions for a friend, he has a 97, pretty much the same as mine, just a different year...
    well its pretty much the same all around i think you need to buy all the bolt ons 1st then worry about cam's do your supporting mods to help the horse power .. if you have the power and no mods your going to break stuff get a set of 3.73's for your rear end. then call up texas speed.com and get the ms3 cam with the 5.3 heads this will put you about 460to 480 rwhp ........ then worry about a clutch and finally spend some mulla on some good tire to but it to the ground and dont forget the suspension mods with out these mods you can have all the power in the world but if you can't hook,,,, it means nothing!

Thread Information