black
    2000 camaro z-28

modding question..

hi i have a black 2000 z28 that i bought back in june and have always wanted one of these to build since i was young but the car has 120000 on it and i heard that i should replace the engine if i want to mod it because it has over 70000. is this true or should i ignore that advice?

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

My oh My, where to start...

70k and you should replace the engine?

How's your oil pressure from cold start to warm idle in gear? How about after a few miles around town? Mine cold starts at 45-50, warms up to 40 in gear, and after a few miles, will drop down to 20 at a warm idle in gear, and stays there all day long. Build past 40 at 2k RPMs, which seems to be the norm for alot of folks. If you ever have the engine out or in any case, have enough room to pull the pan, replace the oil pump! Alot of guys are doing the LS6 ported style, at a minimum! I've heard these things are known to fail, but that's just hearsay... so far, and I hope it stays that way for me.

What are you trying to do? Intake, exhaust, suspension build, internals (ie cam)? What are your goals? I didn't even see your post count, but this sort of question typically comes from a

Anyways, welcome to the LS1 family. Don't listen to anyone that doesn't have experience with the Gen III design application. My pewter Z has 130k on it, I wouldn't hesitate to cam it. My ratrod has 170k on it, and I most definately would NOT cam it, just for the waste of time I believe it to be. Another thing I seem to hear often, is of alot of owners speaking of weak rod bolts until 01/02 when they got just a hair better. Have no basis to speak of whether or not it's true, I have no experience, but the proof is in the pudding. If you plan on extensive mods over a period of time, just remember SFCs are your best friend! If it's your DD, it would help to be able to shut your doors when you exit your car to walk into work and lock it up (words spoken from almighty Mr. P )

Edit: One thing I forgot to add. If you're looking to overbore, these 5.7s can only sustain a 0.010" overbore without having to be re-sleeved. That would be the only thing I can think of when people speak of having to "replace the engine". But it's not uncommon to see on the upwards of 450RWHP with Heads/Cam/Intake (H/C/I) on factory shortblocks (rotating assembly). If you want to overbore, the 6.0L (LQ4/LQ9) iron block is what most use a cheap, readily available option.
    Last edited by MrMasterCraft; 02-28-2011 at 03:45 PM.

2000 Z - Light Pewter Metallic - A4 - 130k - Bolt Ons - My Pride and Joy
    2002 C5 - Electron Blue - M6 - 32k - My Dream Car

rice,its what's fo dinner LeadFarmer's Avatar

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

the person who told you this wouldn't by chance happen to drive a honda would they?
    I can see this statement *maybe* standing true for some much smaller displacement motors, but def. not for an LS1. The thing will have barely been broken in by 70k miles LOL.

black
    2000 camaro z-28

funny you ask haha he said he owned a mustang back in the day and i didn't wanna take his word for it cuz i know fords are pieces of shit. At the shop i learn at and being from a ford family i know that chevy is better and ive always loved camaros since i could remember not a mustang fan but yea i want to do cam/headers/heads/intake system/billyboat exaust system

incase the ford man was in fact right i was thinking i might just save money for an ls6 sometime down the rode and just hold off on modding. but i don't think i can! as soon as i get this new job i want to start. just gotta figure out what to start with

rice,its what's fo dinner LeadFarmer's Avatar

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

start with tires and suspension so that you prepare the car for the extra power you plan on making down the line. then go into engine/power mods from there.

Thread Information