pewter
    2000 camaro

mileage and power

My SS is a DD...pound the miles on the poor thing. since gas went through the roof a few months ago i started looking at something new...What is the best combo for speed and gas mileage? Can you pull 30+ and be in the 12's? who has done it and what did they do...im close i think??
    13.5 @ 106-radials
    27.5mpg @ 75mpg with ac

pewter
    2000 camaro

this came up cuz im sick of hearing people talk about how they feel sorry for me and my gas guzzler..baahhhaaa im getting the same mileage as my sister in law's Dodge Calibur...

PEWETER METALIC
    2002 CAMARO Z-28 M-6

I caught the same shit from my dad when I sold my jeep wrangler for a fbod. He swallowed his words a few weeks ago when I pulled 30mpg on the hwy on a recent road trip!

white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

Quote Originally Posted by wildbanshee View Post
    My SS is a DD...pound the miles on the poor thing. since gas went through the roof a few months ago i started looking at something new...What is the best combo for speed and gas mileage? Can you pull 30+ and be in the 12's? who has done it and what did they do...im close i think??
    13.5 @ 106-radials
    27.5mpg @ 75mpg with ac
    i touch 30 on the hwy, and my car went 12.89 @ 110 on drag radials. i guess my car just got lucky lol i dont know why, maybe the slp lid, and dyno tune.

car made 340/350 with a gmmg catback and slp lid and dyno tune.

pewter
    2000 camaro

thats what im talking about...i remember guys in the early 90's doing a lot of work to maybe get a high 13...definitly not getting 30mpg! Im happier every day i bought my car!
    Would be fun to have an event....fastest time with the best mpg's? sort of the horse power shoot out but have mileage as a factor as well? what do you think? we will probably do better increasing mileage than the engineers!

white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

Quote Originally Posted by wildbanshee View Post
    thats what im talking about...i remember guys in the early 90's doing a lot of work to maybe get a high 13...definitly not getting 30mpg! Im happier every day i bought my car!
    Would be fun to have an event....fastest time with the best mpg's? sort of the horse power shoot out but have mileage as a factor as well? what do you think? we will probably do better increasing mileage than the engineers!
    well it sounds good on paper, but f body vs f body.all it will come down to is who is gonna go the furthest in gutting/ stripping thier car down. doesnt make sense for a race car to focus on getting good mpg's and street cars to squeeze every last tenth and mpg they can.

i say this would be great for cars like the mustang, the challenger and the charger and the camaro, you know all the pony cars if you will. ill tell you right now the vette will be top dog in both fields up to a certain point/ but i dont think the cars will be going single digits so the vette's should do well.

i think a manufacturer competition stock for stock, speed and mpg,

sounds like something the top mags should do for sure. good thinking

Blue
    2000 Camaro SS Convertibl

My friends and family always laugh at me when I tell them I bought my SS to have something more "practical" as a daily driver, and think I'm full of sh*t when I tell them it pulls nearly 30mpg on the highway, but it's true! I tested the mileage on the highway and it did 28mpg. This was with the top up, and using minimal A/C, but mind you
    I was only using 89 octane gas and was going over 70mph most of the way there, if I was going a bit slower, I would have hit 30mpg's easy. Having the 6-speed manual helps, but even the automatics on these cars are known to pull well over 26mpg on the highway. Don't know how they did it, but GM built a hell of an effecient engine in the LS1. Strange a muscle car engine built in the mid 90's get's as close to the fuel efficiency as some of the econoboxes they build nowadays that brag about 30mpg!

dirty aka white
    2000 Z

the best i have ever gotin was coming back from denver a/c on t tops on doin 78mph. (watchin for the coppers lol) and i pulled off a 31 mpg and i have an A4 lol. drivin around Houston freeways doin 65 to 85 a/c on high ( I did say Houston after all lol) I get anywhere from 22 and up its all based around how many times I have to get into it to advoid a damn big rig or to change lanes or somethin like that but if I can stick it at a certain speed and leave it there the MPG climbs!!!! I think we should get some "going green" stickers made up with LS1.com on them lol and say something about oh yeah lil green bish you get 30 mpg with 100 horse power i have 320 plus and get 25 mpg plus now what lol sorry i get so tired about how us Americans need to get better fuel ecocrappers lol

White
    1998 Trans Am m6

A recent 350 mile trip netted 32 mpg. doing about 75 mph. m6 342 gears.

pewter
    2000 camaro

txz28 that is great...going green Z28! Green Drags....a friend of mine has a gaint diesel truck..wants to run it on bio diesel actually on straight cooking oil. i thought was sort of corny but the more i thought of it..would be a cool competion. Green Drags? why not..you never know.
    Thanks for the input going to run it by a few more folks and see if we can put something together..let you know how it goes.
    ps...just got some feed back from a guy who put together his own water for gas deal..said..........0 to 2mpg better...very disapointed. ran it for a month the only thing that happend is the check engine light came on.

dirty aka white
    2000 Z

why thank you sir lol hell the more i thought about i think i am going to paint that on my maro lol go green or go home lol in bright green lol and then slap some 350 horse power badges from slp on the fenders lol

Thread Information