Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Black
    2001 Camaro SS Vert

Maybe I'm crazy but...

It really seems that changing the oil in my SS makes more power right after... I change it with synthetic every 3-4K and I have felt more power right after the change each time...

Anyone ever dyno'd this?

white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

this could have something to do with the "clean car always drives better theory" i couldnt imagine enough of a power gain that you could feel, your just

This Light Dinner Is Over hamburger68's Avatar

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

just like the car pulls harder after filling the gas tank...

Red
    2000 Camaro SS M6

I've heard about the gas tank thing from other people, and for some reason, I feel the same way. My theory is that maybe you get better fuel pressure since you have that much more fuel in the tank pushing down on the pickup line. If I remember my fluids class, I believe the formula is P=pgh.
    But who knows, it's probably all in our heads

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

it's those little voices....

WE HAVE FUEL INJECTION !!!!!!!!!!!!

White Liquid Silver
    2000 Camaro SS/ 02 YZF-R1

Red
    2000 Camaro SS M6

That's correct, and those fuel injectors open for a given amount of time based on their fuel flow rate. The computer assumes the flow rate for the injectors to be constant. So the only variable that can be adjusted is for how long those injectors remain open. Naturally, the more air going in the engine, the longer the injector remains open in order to maintain that sensitive air/fuel ratio.
    That being said, there's only one more variable that affects fuel flow rate: pressure, which we know is controlled by the fuel pump. When the fuel pump quits, you know it because no fuel is being injected into the manifold even though the injectors are opening. So, having a full tank could add more line pressure by allowing the fuel pump to run at a slightly larger line pressure. So maybe this, in fact, is the case and we get just a little bit more fuel in the engine.

On another note, when choosing to upgrade fuel injectors for forced induction, you cannot just look at the fuel flow rate spec of the injector. You have to also look at what line pressure that fuel flow rate was measured. For example, if you look at two injectors that both claim to have a flow rate of 1 cubic centimeter per second(for simplicity's sake) but one is running at 20psi and the other at 40psi, you know that they don't have an identical natural flow rate.

White Liquid Silver

^^^someone did their homework...

White Liquid Silver

Where in CT are you from? I live in Woodbridge.

Red
    2000 Camaro SS M6

I'm a mechanical engineering student at UConn.....you have no idea how much homework I've had to do here...haha. I live in Cromwell

white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

sounds pretty right on, also im not trying to tag along on what you said it sounded good

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by Finally View Post
    I'm a mechanical engineering student at UConn.....you have no idea how much homework I've had to do here...haha. I live in Cromwell

i actually doubt that would really be noticeable, concidering other factors like fuel filter, forces from accellaration, braking etc., but that in no way opposes your flawless writeup.

Red
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Yeah I'm not saying this is definitely the case. I just think that it could be a possibility.

Either way, we gotta call the Mythbusters.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

I feel the same thing tho, every time after putting gas in or changing oil it seems to be faster for a little while then it goes back to normal

SILVER
    1999 CAMARO SS

my car feels the same way right after i fill up. and im using 93 oct gas.
    Whisper Lid/SLP HarmonicBalancer/MAFTranslator/DiabloTuner A-Pillar Gauges (Aem Uego A/F,Trans Temp, D-Pic)Magnaflow CB w/CME Tips/ Eibach Pro Kit/ Brembo Cross Drilled/Slotted Rotors/ H.I.D.Kit

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

I only use 93, cept when I had my shitty cars...

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

i put 89 in mine, just filled up yesterday and was like, damn i love how my car drives right after i fill up.

i think it has more to do with the added weight than anything, 15 gallons of gas is heavy.

when i had my truck, it always felt good when i put about 700 lbs of stuff in the back

Black
    1998 Z/28

Quote Originally Posted by Finally View Post
    That's correct, and those fuel injectors open for a given amount of time based on their fuel flow rate. The computer assumes the flow rate for the injectors to be constant. So the only variable that can be adjusted is for how long those injectors remain open. Naturally, the more air going in the engine, the longer the injector remains open in order to maintain that sensitive air/fuel ratio.
    That being said, there's only one more variable that affects fuel flow rate: pressure, which we know is controlled by the fuel pump. When the fuel pump quits, you know it because no fuel is being injected into the manifold even though the injectors are opening. So, having a full tank could add more line pressure by allowing the fuel pump to run at a slightly larger line pressure. So maybe this, in fact, is the case and we get just a little bit more fuel in the engine.
    I must disagree, most stock cars run a little rich from the factory so forcing a little more fuel into the engine would in turn make the engine run even richer which would lower power slightly, thats how i look at it.
    http://img519.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wheelieke5.jpg361hp 351tq 98 Z/28 A4 SLP Lid/Smooth Bellow/LM2 K&N Filter Pacesetter Headers TSP Y Pipe Z06 Style Wheels B&M shifter Yank 3200 Prothane Motor/Trans Mounts Torquer V2/7.425" p-rods/Comp Springs
    $, the replacement for displacement.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

I notice on cold mornings a lil power increase but never felt a differance after filling up or a oil change. Since the fuel is always recirculating due to a return fuel line wouldnt the fuel pressure be regulated by that. I mean if you took 5 fuel pumps out of 5 z/28's I am pretty sure they will all pump different pressures some more some less.

I have a need for speed! jigger1166's Avatar

Artic White
    00 SS Vert.

Quote Originally Posted by hamburger68 View Post
    just like the car pulls harder after filling the gas tank...
    Maybe it's the increased weight transfer, from all the weight of the full tank (fuel weighs 7 pounds a gallon I think) creating the illusion of pulling harder. Kind of like the amusement park ride simulators that tilt you back in your seat to create the illusion of accellerating.
    JIGGER RACIN'
    2000 Camaro SS, vert., auto., LS6 intake manifold, SLP lid, K&N filter, SLP LoudMouth II, C5 Z06 replica 17x9.5 rims
    1/4 mile time = 13.310 sec. @ 105.22 mph, 2.051 60'

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2939958

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t...amarolaeft.jpg

Thread Information