Thread: lt1 vs ls1

Question lt1 vs ls1

hey guys can you compare the pros and cons of a ls1 z28 compared to a lt1 z28..just wondering because the lt1 is cheaper in price but i didnt know if the price difference was worth it in all around car quality..

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

it seems that LT1's are more cramped in the engine bay, the engine is heavier, older less efficient technology with the LT1 (opti-spark)

I think the LT1 is actually worse on gas, LS1 will be worse on insurance because they are more powerfull (+50-60 RWHP over LT1), and they are newer.

the body styling is different for the LS1, the interior will be the same for a 97+ Z28 but the 93-96 interior is more square, and drabb
    98' SS Convertible Camaro-76k-Build # 1471, Cragar SS rims, RK SFC's, MAC Panhard, LSX Tune, Shaner S3,
    SLP:short thro,Strut tower brace,fan switch
    MTI Power induction kit,40 Series muffler,Pacesetter LT's + ORY,12 CD changer,3800lbs
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/787506/1

1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

i'd say the price diff is worth it, you're getting the last breed of camaro therefore possibly worth way more in the long run........

Compulsive F bomb dropper sgt0704's Avatar

silver
    1998 Z28

"agreed!"

black
    92 Sonoma GT

the ls1 is overall the better car but also is more expensive both cars respond well to performance mods but the lt1 would be better for a boost set up if you were going to mod the hell out of both of them and were just looking for a certain e/t it wouldnt matter which you chose, the ls1 also gets better gas mileage but higher on insurance so basically if you have the money go with the ls1.

black
    92 Sonoma GT

sorry, double post
    Last edited by crawlingt; 05-24-2006 at 08:59 AM.

sebring silver
    2000 z28

i almost bought a v6 2000 camaro for 10,000 next day i foung the ls1 for 9000, so what, i did have to drive 380 miles but once i got in that car and hit the throttle it was love at first black mark,

if you do get the lt1 don't drive an ls1 because you will hate yourself

with the lt1 you might hang with most mustangs, ls1 = leave them looking at the tailight

sebring silver
    2000 z28

go on auto trader you can specifically pick every detail you want on the car and usually find a great deal if you like to drive a little ways

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

the ls1 is overall the better car but also is more expensive both cars respond well to performance mods but the lt1 would be better for a boost set up if you were going to mod the hell out of both of them and were just looking for a certain e/t it wouldnt matter which you chose, the ls1 also gets better gas mileage but higher on insurance so basically if you have the money go with the ls1.
    The LT1 is a 3 bolt head design, and the LS1 is a 4 bolt. I dunno why everyone thinks the LS1 cannot handle boost, other then the aluminum engine, versus the cast iron one. I've got a buddy that has a STS Turbocharged Camaro Z28 (99 model). He is pushing over 10psi, and making over 520whp on stock internals, and he has 100K+ miles on it to boot.

1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

yea talking about a strong bottom end, 6 BOLT MAIN = LS1

black
    92 Sonoma GT

Quote Originally Posted by Bob'sWS6
    The LT1 is a 3 bolt head design, and the LS1 is a 4 bolt. I dunno why everyone thinks the LS1 cannot handle boost, other then the aluminum engine, versus the cast iron one. I've got a buddy that has a STS Turbocharged Camaro Z28 (99 model). He is pushing over 10psi, and making over 520whp on stock internals, and he has 100K+ miles on it to boot.
    im not saying the ls1 is weak just a cast iron block is stronger and i think would be more reliable for daily driver setup.

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by crawlingt
    im not saying the ls1 is weak just a cast iron block is stronger and i think would be more reliable for daily driver setup.
    Tell that to my buddy. He's seriously pissed off. He's been literally trying to blow up his stock internal engine on his 99Z28, running alot of boost. He's had a forged internal motor sitting in his garage for several months now.

black
    98 z28 m6

Quote Originally Posted by Bob'sWS6
    Tell that to my buddy. He's seriously pissed off. He's been literally trying to blow up his stock internal engine on his 99Z28, running alot of boost. He's had a forged internal motor sitting in his garage for several months now.
    What an idiot...why waste a motor?

Compulsive F bomb dropper sgt0704's Avatar

silver
    1998 Z28

you're not "wasting" a motor, you're giving yourself a reason to put in a better one.

2000z28
    how long will a ls1 last if a supercharger or turbo is added? i was always curious just incase i may want to add a turbo or supercharger later on

Silver
    1998 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by 2000z28
    how long will a ls1 last if a supercharger or turbo is added? i was always curious just incase i may want to add a turbo or supercharger later on
    There is really no answer to this question. All depends on your setup and the person tuning the motor.

LS1's are the greatest!

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Lol goodstuff.
    I had a 97 z28 and i loved it, then i test drove my 01 ss and to be honest the diff i noticed other than the allready stated was the lt1 had a lil more pep at lower rpm and the ls1 had a higher power band.
    I thought my z got better gas milieage by like 15m to the tank but owell it was worth the trade.
    Once you go ls1 you wont go back to a stock lt1
    My insurance jumped 20 bucks when i bought the ss but went down 200 when i added my 91 camaro?
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

white

get the ls1, i had a 96 vette 6 speed vith a vortec supercharger running 6-7 lbs of boost(9lbs pulley with slippage) and id do 8.1s in the 1/8th mile at 89 mph. sold that got an 02 ss with the 345 slp package. automatic goes 8.2 of the showroom floor, dyno tuned and tires goes 7.8s. LT1s are good but they just cant compare. and i know first hand.

oh yeah and i run low 11s now with a converter (3600) and a 100 shot. no lt1 is doing that with that little

Thread Information