Thread: LS7 swap

Midnight Blue
    2000 Z28

Smile LS7 swap

Whats up guys?

I have a 2000 Z28 and i am wanting to swap out my LS1 with a slightly used LS7. I just have a couple questions. first off I heard all i need to modify to make the engine fit is get a different oil pan, is that all i need to do for the swap? And for the people who have done it, any advice? or anything I should look out for or know? Any or all advice is appreciated! Thanks every one

Josh

Silver
    2002 Monte Carlo SS

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by Spyhawk View Post
    Whats up guys?

I have a 2000 Z28 and i am wanting to swap out my LS1 with a slightly used LS7. I just have a couple questions. first off I heard all i need to modify to make the engine fit is get a different oil pan, is that all i need to do for the swap? And for the people who have done it, any advice? or anything I should look out for or know? Any or all advice is appreciated! Thanks every one

Josh
    first of all do you have a certain ls7 in mind? Because even used they are expensive, so expensive you could get a stroker putting out more power for less.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

your reluctor wheel tooth count will need to be addressed..the fact that it is a dry sump system will also need to be addressed and your accessories and their drive system will most likely need to be addressed..also your exhaust will need to be changed and more then likely custom due to the fact that ls7 headers are designed to fit a corvette ..besides that the lsX family share the same dimensions so physically fitting the engine in isnt any different

Black
    98 Z28

I say if your dead set on doing an LS7 swap go for it. I looked into this a while back because i noticed i could get a used LS7 for the same price as a new GMPP LS3. After digging for info a bit i came to the conclusion that the LS7 would probably be more in the long run. You have to take into account all the little extras that add up. You need to relocate the battery for the dry sump oil system, you have to consider a tranny swap if yours has alot of milage or cant take the HP (also im not sure you can use the A4 camaro trannys), lots of little extras here and there. Im looking into getting an LS3 for my camaro just because building onto an LS1 with 100k + miles on it is silly. Incase your interested here is a link to the LS3 swap. Seems relatively easy if your good with this kinda stuff. Granted you still have some things to take care of but not as much.

Part I:
    http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...wap/index.html

Part II:
    http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...all/index.html

Thread Information