Thread: Ls1 VS Lt4

Ls1 VS Lt4

MM I have a chance to pick up an Lt4 engine out of 96 Vett , they say they will out Rev out pull and out preform the early ls1 engines and then a toss up for the 2001, 2002 ls1 engines because they got a few tricks from the ls2. your thoughts.

Im looking to buy as I posted but MMMM could buy a 93-97 fire_ cam and dump an lt4 into it MMMM lt4 11 to one , and red line of 6500! MMM
    Last edited by bikelite; 11-09-2019 at 11:35 AM.

What was the real HP of Lt4, I have read something very intro about the lt4 that it responded so Quick and MAXXed it full power that the ls1 was looking DOA! your thoughts.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

I would never consider a LT1 or 4 over a LSx engine unless it's the current generation of LT series.

With just a cam I could out perform the LT1/4 of that generation on a LS1. Even the Gen III and IV 5.3's outperform them.

What are your goals? It would be easier to make a recommendation based on that.

Now to be fair there is a LT1 f body that has set the stick shift record as being the fastest manual car. But there is a lot more to getting that goal then just an engine.

Red
    99’ Z28 vert

The Ls1 or any LS engine is much better choice than the old lt4 .. sure it’s a decent engine that makes okay power but has no where near the aftermarket support the ls engines have .. I won’t dog the old LT engines because they were my humble beginnings however, A 4.8 with some longtubes would make the same power as a lt4 . and you could find them in a junk yard lol

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

The Gen II LT4s were advertised at 330 hp, so I would say less than 300 rwhp, on a fresh setup.

The only reason to go with a LT4, is that the car its going into is already a Gen II LT1, and that the cost of it would he less than a conversion to a Gen III/Gen IV.

A well built TPI engine, with an improved intake and ignition coil system will run all day with a similar setup Gen II.

A Gen III/IV truck block is going to be way cheaper to get, and upgrade to killer power levels.
    SLP Air Lid/Smooth Bellows
    L76 6.0L block, PRC Ported 243 heads, Texas Speed 224R cam.
    Kooks Emissions LT Headers/Catted Y pipe
    NGK TR55 plugs
    Magnaflow Cat-back
    Spohn Front Upper Tubular Control Arms
    UMI Front Lower Tubular Control Arms
    UMI Front Sway Bar
    UMI Rear Lower Control Arms/ Adjustable Panhard Rod
    UMI Welded-on Two Piece Subframe Connectors
    Factory C5 Z06 17x9.5 wheels w/ 285-40-17 Continental Extreme Contact Sports all the way around.
    Dyno Dynamics dynoed @:
    415 rwhp

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    I would never consider a LT1 or 4 over a LSx engine unless it's the current generation of LT series.

With just a cam I could out perform the LT1/4 of that generation on a LS1. Even the Gen III and IV 5.3's outperform them.

What are your goals? It would be easier to make a recommendation based on that.

Now to be fair there is a LT1 f body that has set the stick shift record as being the fastest manual car. But there is a lot more to getting that goal then just an engine.
    Heck, buy putting Long tube headers, y pipe, and cat back, any LS1 would handily out perform even the stoutest factory gen II.

Silver Metallic
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Whamhammer View Post
    Heck, buy putting Long tube headers, y pipe, and cat back, any LS1 would handily out perform even the stoutest factory gen II.
    This.

My '00 LS1 with 853 heads has LS6 intake, EGR/A.I.R delete, 1.75" Longtubes, 3" OR/Y, GMMG catback, and dyno tuned on 93 made 360rwhp & 367ft lbs.
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

SLP lid & bellow w/ K&N, GMMG catback w/ Corsa Clones, UMI SFC, UMI Adj. Panhard, UMI Adj. TQ arm w/ relocation kit, QTP Longtube headers ORY, LS6 intake, EGR/A.I.R delete.
    Eibach prokit, Bilstein HDs, Nitto NT555s, skip shift elim, whiteface overlays, 20% tint, matte black decal/overlays
    YouTube.com/DarrenWS6

Red
    2-GMMG 2002 Camaro LE/PE

Quote Originally Posted by bikelite View Post
    What was the real HP of Lt4, I have read something very intro about the lt4 that it responded so Quick and MAXXed it full power that the ls1 was looking DOA! your thoughts.
    My 97 Camaros SS, Joanie is the last of the original LT-4 Camaros. She has the “balanced and blueprinted” engine from the factory. She has 350 hp and not 330 hp of the LT-1 Camaro SS.
    Comparison between her and my 02 Camaro SS with the 345 hp LS-6 engine? It would be a very interesting race! I can tell you that the LT-4 pulled a lot harder off the get-go and through the gears! The end results? I couldn’t answer.

“Jenny” 2002 GMMG Camaro SS LE PE Phase III 600 hp 427
    “Joanie” 1997 Camaro SS LT-4 #100
    “Julie” 2002 GMMG Camaro SS LE PE Phase II 500 hp
    “Jackie” 2002 Camaro SS (‘Hot Rod Pro-Tour wanna be’)
    “Bubba” 1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super SWB show truck
    “The Toy” 1968 Chevy SWB 50th Anniversary (1 of 120)

Thread Information