BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Lowered Price?????

I want to get my z28 lowered. I know the kit costs $250.00.
    I got a estimate for $450.00 to put it on including reallignment. Is that a fair price for this job??? Thanks

PEWTER
    2002 Z/28 VERT.

Well yes if you don't count the aggravation of dragging the undercarriage all the time and the horrible ride quality and all the new rattles and squeeks,but hey,you'LL look really cool bouncing down the highway till you hit that dip in the road at 80 or 100 MPH. By the way don't forget the new koni shocks that you MUST have for about $1000.00 front & rear. But just remember how cool you'll look sitting still.
    Last edited by Z ROADSTER; 04-21-2007 at 06:53 PM.

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Sounds like someone has seen to many improperly setup suspensions and is stereo typing! I've had no problems with being lowered and my car is far from just sitting still. I don't bounce around at all. Factory cars bounce more than my car does. I've never scraped on anything other than large speed bumps. My car rides very smooth. It's smoother than many other cars stock. No squeaks or rattles either. Looks was one of my last concerns when I went with performance springs. You can use cheaper options other than Koni shocks if you want also.

I didn't have to pay for the install of my springs and shocks, just parts so I don't know if 450 is a good price.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

I was told the ride quality was just like stock. I was also told you can keep the same struts/shocks even though I was planning to upgrade anyway. Let me guess you are not a big fan of lowered cars?? hhahah

---I think you are confusing camaros with those little trucks I see that are about a 1/2 inch off the ground.

Blog Entries

2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Quote Originally Posted by deadbydawn421 View Post
    I was told the ride quality was just like stock. I was also told you can keep the same struts/shocks even though I was planning to upgrade anyway. Let me guess you are not a big fan of lowered cars?? hhahah

Don't use the stock shocks when doing springs or else you will have a bad ride. The stock shocks suck. I'm running the Pro-kit springs and KYB AGX shocks and the ride is firm, but not harsh. It's not like the factory soft ride though.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

I have a really messed up back do you think the ride would be too firm for me? I wanted the lowered look and maybe a little better cornering. Do you think there is any spring/shock combo that wouldnt hurt me when I drive?

By the way your car looks great!!

Blog Entries

2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

I have a really messed up back do you think the ride would be too firm for me? I wanted the lowered look and maybe a little better cornering. Do you think there is any spring/shock combo that wouldnt hurt me when I drive?

By the way your car looks great!!

Thanks, I don't think the ride is that bad even if your back is messed up. It's not like they take pot holes well when stock anyway. If you can avoid hitting them then rest of the ride is still very smooth. Most of it is in how stiff of shocks and tires your running. I'd be more concerned about getting in and out with a bad back.

Thanks for the compliment!

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Black Trans-Am View Post
    Thanks, I don't think the ride is that bad even if your back is messed up. It's not like they take pot holes well when stock anyway. If you can avoid hitting them then rest of the ride is still very smooth. Most of it is in how stiff of shocks and tires your running. I'd be more concerned about getting in and out with a bad back.

Thanks for the compliment!
    Yea its a little bit of a pita to get in and out but I would crawl in before I drove anything else.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

I want to get my z28 lowered. I know the kit costs $250.00.
    I got a estimate for $450.00 to put it on including reallignment. Is that a fair price for this job??? Thanks
    Are you going to be running stock shocks or do you have plans for aftermarket shocks?

The $450 estimate is OUTRAGEOUS to be honest. The rear springs take all of 20 minutes to do. An alignment at just about anywhere is ~$60. The front springs are much more in depth, but not $350+ more IMO.

Along with lowering springs and shocks, you should get an adjustable panhard to re-center the rearend and it also helps to have aftermarket lower control arms and re-location brackets.
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    Are you going to be running stock shocks or do you have plans for aftermarket shocks?

The $450 estimate is OUTRAGEOUS to be honest. The rear springs take all of 20 minutes to do. An alignment at just about anywhere is ~$60. The front springs are much more in depth, but not $350+ more IMO.

Along with lowering springs and shocks, you should get an adjustable panhard to re-center the rearend and it also helps to have aftermarket lower control arms and re-location brackets.
    I had a idea that was a high quote to do the work. They said $750.00 with the new springs which are about $250.00. The same shop charged me $150.00 to put my upper dash pad in my car. I knew that was a high price. I have back problems and recently underwent surgery which failed so I cant do even the simplest of jobs on my car. I think the shop thinks I am some rich kid because I went there with my older sister(who they think is my mom) who is a attourney and she used her attourney credit card to pay for the work cause she owed me some money. Plus the fact that I got some simple work done makes it look like I am a dumbass. Not a good combo. I will be looking for another shop. 2 times before this I got work done and they drove my car around(which I do not like) for plugs and wires I dont think you need to test drive my car. I believe they drove the shit out of it too. I am done with these people. Too bad because with my back being messed up I was gonna get alot of stuff done there. O well. Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it fellas and will be upgrading my shocks when I get the car lowered and a panhard bar then the lower control arms + relocation.

---mike

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Y2K could you tell me what springs and shocks you went with?? Thanks

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

I had a idea that was a high quote to do the work. They said $750.00 with the new springs which are about $250.00. The same shop charged me $150.00 to put my upper dash pad in my car. I knew that was a high price. I have back problems and recently underwent surgery which failed so I cant do even the simplest of jobs on my car. I think the shop thinks I am some rich kid because I went there with my older sister(who they think is my mom) who is a attourney and she used her attourney credit card to pay for the work cause she owed me some money. Plus the fact that I got some simple work done makes it look like I am a dumbass. Not a good combo. I will be looking for another shop. 2 times before this I got work done and they drove my car around(which I do not like) for plugs and wires I dont think you need to test drive my car. I believe they drove the shit out of it too. I am done with these people. Too bad because with my back being messed up I was gonna get alot of stuff done there. O well. Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it fellas and will be upgrading my shocks when I get the car lowered and a panhard bar then the lower control arms + relocation.

---mike
    Dang Mike, I am really sorry to hear about your situation with your back. If you were closer to me geographically I would be willing to help you out. Sounds like your assessment of this particular shop is accurate though. I bet you could PM our moderator mrr23 and he could help you locate a good shop, I believe he is in the Orlando area.

As far as my shocks/springs, I am running BMR springs which I am real happy with and KYB adjustable shocks which I have a mediocre opinion of. They aren't bad and they are very affordable(all 4 ran me $350 shipped) but I wished I would have went with Koni's instead. Shocks are probably the most important suspension component there is and I wished I hadn't cheaped out so to speak. They do provide a solid ride though.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Thanks I appreciate your help and kindness. I will pm him because Orlando isnt but an hour away and I would definately drive that far for good service and a fair price. The sad thing is I was all happy to find a place that only works on Camaros and Vettes close to home but they are trying to ram me. I forgot but they wanted $80.00 to put my billit aluminum grill in my car (4 screws)which I also think is way too much money.

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

yeh 450 is definitly a bit much... newera quoted me 300 for 4 koni's and strano spring install.......im gonna do the rears on my own though and i have a buddy that works at a nissan dealership thats gonna do my fronts cheap

UberTapping Friction Pimp Anthracis's Avatar

18D Cock Diesel
    1999 Z28; 98 SS #2043 RIP

Also, you can see if any other of our members in your area can help too. Why pay lots of money when you don't have to. I'm sure that someone from this forum would be willing to help for some beer and BBQ or something.

Pewter
    2002 Camaro Z28 A4

Don't forget about your rear lower control arm relocation bracket, if you didn't alreay do that. If you lower the car without you will get wheel chatter when the car hooks up, and may cause rear end damage. UMI have some nice ones both weld-in and bolt-in.

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

sam strano says wait and see as far as that goes...said USUALLY but not always your fine with wheel hop..every car is different

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Thumbs up

Thanks for the info everyone!! Much appreciated

Thread Information