Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Black
    02 Z28

lighten up an F-body?

So has anyone given serious thought to removing some lbs from an F-body?
    Of course there's aluminum driveshafts, light weight cluthches, aluminum suspension components. But have you ever thought about trying to gut the unibody in favor of tubular steel?
    I read an old post, couple a guys got into it about what would handle better: F-bod, or WRX.
    Of course the WRX is like, 10,000 lbs lighter, but its all wheel drive. Plus the Camaro has a longer/wider wheel base, and, ITS A 2 DOOR!
    There's a reason real race cars are RWD, with two doors (if any).
    I guess if I had like...$30k to spend I'd give it a go.
    But I will start with things like aluminum control arms and light weight calipers.
    Anybody else got some pointers?

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

back seat is pretty heavy

Black
    1998 Camaro SS M6 #1871

Quote Originally Posted by Fbody4ever View Post
    Of course the WRX is like, 10,000 lbs lighter?

What?

Black
    02 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by aerojt View Post
    What?
    just kidding, that would put our cars at like 14,000 lbs!
    But our cars are significantly heavier, always have been. What does an STS Impreza weigh? like 3,700? -not the lightest, but still well below our cars (especially in full trim w/ multiple passengers). I almost threw away $47K on a Lotus-that thing weighs 1,700 lbs! But its powered by a toyota 22r. Instead I bought my '06 Denali.
    I just wish I could put my Z on a chassis stand so I could look under her skirt, maybe see what I could do for weight reduction.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

I have been jogging.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    I have been jogging.
    Staying away from Burger King and Taco Bell I hope!

Black
    94 hawk a4 02 hawk vertm6

fill the tires with helium!

These suggestions are very funny,,,,I especially like the jogging and helium wise cracks

On a more serious note,,,I was looking at different ways to lighten the car without seeing that things are missing,,,,like seats and such,,,lol. I gotta have my back seat to haul the family so it's not an option for me.
    And taking the spare out seems counter productive,,,since it's adding weight exactly where it's needed,,,over the right rear. Removing weight needs to happen over the nose more than anything,,,,not so much in the back of the car...

I was thinking along the lines of a tubular K-member,,,takes about 65 lbs. off the front. Can even take that as far as tubular control arms as well for a few more lbs.

Anyone ever pay attention to the batteries they buy??? Different brand batteries weigh significantly different,,,as much as 6-8 lbs. among different brands. I went through that years ago when factory stock racing..You get some funny looks in the parts stores carrying a scale with you to weigh batteries.....some people even went as far as to buy tiny batteries cutting 20 lbs. Then taking the stock large battery and gutting it,,,to cover the tiny battery and giving the appearance of running a stock size battery,,,,very sneaky stuff....you can do the same with radio's, heaters, etc...but you loose some driving comfort in the process...It looks like it works and appears stock,,,but it doesn't have any guts...

Of course removing all the smog equipment lightens the car. As well as removing all the A/C.

Removing the exhaust manifolds in favor of steel tube headers also lightens the car....also keep in mind that stainless headers weigh more than mild steel....

Same goes for exhaust,,,stainless exhaust weighs more than mild steel...

No aftermarket radio junk...

Removing the bumper bracing is another sneaky one that isn't noticable on the outside.

Remove the airbags too,,,,I have mine disconnected, just haven't went as far to remove them,,,,,yet

Remove the ABS too,,,takes a few lbs. off and cleans up the engine bay at the same time. I've been keeping this one in my back pocket too...

Remove any bolt that is accessable,,,to remove the large steel flat washers,,,,replace with aluminum flat washers,,,going over the entire car like this actually shaves a few more lbs....I don't recommend suspension components though..

Ever weigh you tires??? Some manufactures advertise weights...and your wheels as well,,,,rotors also fall into this catagory. People like to add larger wheels and tires,,,but it's adding more weight to the car....
    Anytime you have unsprung weight to remove,,,it not only lightens the car,,,but also lightens rotational mass,,,,engine doesn't have to work as hard to get things moving,,,much like the aluminum flywheel idea that was already mentioned,,,it's like adding HP so to speak...

You can revert back to the old school way of doing it and swiss cheese any brackets and such...Stay away from adding larger sway bars or any unnecessary support bracing...

Alot is obvious,,,,some are sneaky...I have some other ideas I've picked up over the years but I can't let them all loose,,,,some of those F.A.S.T. guys might be listening,,,,,,,,,,,,

rapter34
    If you don't use the radio take out all the speaker, head unit, amp.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Install manual windows and manual locks.... just like the "stripper" edition.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Take out the motor?

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by JwMonE99 View Post
    Take out the motor?
    Flinstone power?

Black
    02 Z28

There are some really good ideas, I especially like the K-member idea and tubular control arms.
    I was behind the door panel the other day and thought: why not construct a tube frame and remove all the sheet metal there? Obviously the frame would have to be cross braced in all the appropriate places (coinciding with bolt holes, and mounting brackets). But those doors are like 40-50 lbs!
    I bet somebody could make some money drawing up some blue prints for tubular components.

15 sec. Oh yeah, its fast UTVols98's Avatar

maroon
    2000 Z28

http://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread...duction+weight
    Here's a good list and thread for any information.

white
    2000 Z28

just kidding, that would put our cars at like 14,000 lbs!
    But our cars are significantly heavier, always have been. What does an STS Impreza weigh? like 3,700? -not the lightest, but still well below our cars (especially in full trim w/ multiple passengers). I almost threw away $47K on a Lotus-that thing weighs 1,700 lbs! But its powered by a toyota 22r. Instead I bought my '06 Denali.
    I just wish I could put my Z on a chassis stand so I could look under her skirt, maybe see what I could do for weight reduction.
    ummm the wrx is heavier than my car. mine weighs 3580 with me in it. and as for the full trim im not a big fan of playin with passengers in my car at all. oh yeah the curb weight on an ss is supposedly like a lil bit under 3500. the dyno i was on told me the weight of my car alone which it said 3350 rounded up. to my knowledge there it looks like no wieght reduction done to it.
    Last edited by 00z28bubba; 06-25-2008 at 01:04 PM.
    2000 white z28, t-tops, free mods, intake, full exhaust, dyno tune, repro c5 z06 wheels, and some elbow grease here and there.

Black
    02 Z28

WOW! I thought our cars weighed around 4,200. Maybe its not so bad then...
    I still would like to do a tubular K-member and control arms, take some weight outta the front, and make the front suspension lighter/more responsive.

WOW! I thought our cars weighed around 4,200. Maybe its not so bad then...
    I still would like to do a tubular K-member and control arms, take some weight outta the front, and make the front suspension lighter/more responsive.
    Naaaa,,,they aren't that bad,,,alot of plastic and fiberglass in em'

My 02 convertable SS comes in at 3,620 lbs. bone stock with 1/2 tank of gas.

My 97 Z-28 convertable came in at 3540 lbs. bone stock with 1/2 tank of gas.

I have yet to weigh in the new 2000 SS T-top car.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

ws.6 with me in it=3600

Blue Metallic
    1999 Chevrolet Camaro SS

the subaru is 300 lbs lighter than the camaro, and the car itself is not the heaviest, plus the engine is stuck back in the engine bay for weight balance. in all reality, u r waisting yur time in trying to lighten it up unless its a track car. u could take the front reinforcemnet bar but ifd u hit someone ur fucked. if ur trying to hook better, fill the rear reinforcment bar with lead. or get drag radials

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

wtf is this guy talking about? 4200lb fbody??? 3700 lb sti??? 1700lb lotus?? the lotus is 1900 and change last i looked ..fbodys are rated around 3400...last i knew the sti was around 3300 ....stop doing drugs

Thread Information