Thread: Launch RPM's

White
    2001 Camaro SS & 2007 R6

Launch RPM's

I have a 2001 SS m6 with a few mods on it. I have intake, Y-pipe, Exhaust, MAF, Throttle body, Programmer, and a centerforce clutch.

Going to take it to the track mid-october, and i was wondering what RPM everyone was launching at.

also any help to get the car to hook up will be greatful!!

Thank you

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

My last time at the track I tried to get a good launch without feathering the clutch on street tires. From just above idle seemed to work the best and not completely light up the tires.

My practice attempts seem to be best though at about 2000 and feathering the clutch, need to go to the track to verify this though.

White
    2001 Camaro SS & 2007 R6

ya the other day, i launched the hell out of it, just dropped the clutch and hammered the throttle, ya just spun them until i let off the gas. so that was a no go... and that is why i am here, i figured someone on here might have perfected it, or atleast give me a good idea of how to!

Slow SS

Black
    2002 Chevy Camaro

this seems like a stupid question, but does anbody try to launch with traction control(Asr)? I figured it would be a horrible idea

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

Yeah Don't use Traction control it isn't going to help you get a better time.
    On street tires and the Stock clutch I always had good luck leaving around 1800-2000 rpm walk out the clutch and then go full throttle. Realistically practice makes perfect and every car is different, so you'll have to do some experimenting.
    Craig
    Semi Retired Street Racer
    2012 Lava Red Mustang GT Coupe Brembo/3.73's
    Build Date 3/17/11, Last Lava Red GT

Gone but not forgoten
    NBM `98 Formula M6 HdTp
    1 of 1 Build Date 3/12/98

SILVER
    1998 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 9T8W66 View Post
    Yeah Don't use Traction control it isn't going to help you get a better time.
    On street tires and the Stock clutch I always had good luck leaving around 1800-2000 rpm walk out the clutch and then go full throttle. Realistically practice makes perfect and every car is different, so you'll have to do some experimenting.
    +2

I remember the first time I left at 2000 rpm with not Traction control, quickly releasing the clutch and stomping the gas at the same time on street tires = spinning all through 1st and doing a 180 when hitting second. It was fun and scary at the same time, I'm just glad that another road intersected at the point where I hit second, and gave me enough room. At first I did a 90 to my left towards a ditch that dropped 10 feet from road, cut my wheels to the right and spun 180 to the right into the intersecting road, just enough room to get me back on the original road in the opposite direction. I'm lucky I was experimenting and not racing because it could have been ugly.

Thread Information