Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

navy blue
    1998 camaro ss

Kooks true dual exhaust

Any you guys purchase the kooks true dual exhaust? Whats it sound like? Power gains with their headers also? Is it worth the money? Thanks

Impulse Blue
    2005 a4 GTO

Havent yet dinoed for accurate numbers but they will certainly light a fire under your cars ass. i got mine on sale from Marylandspeed.com for about 950 and i feel that they are completely worth it.
    2005 Impulse Blue GTO
    Kooks Longtube Headers (off-road mids) , SLP Loudmouth II Catback, Vararam OTRCAI, MSD Spark Wires, 238/242 .595, Trickflow 225cc Heads, SLP 25% UD Pulley, Breather, Elite Engineering Catch Can, 3200 TC,Hayden Trans Cooler, P&P TB, Dyno tune by Sunshine Performance

navy blue
    1998 camaro ss

Wow 950. I only seen it for like over 1500! All stainless right?

Are you two talking about the same kit? The Kooks true dual setup is $1500 plus unless someone is having one hell of a sale.

The only true dual setup that exits at the bumper for ~$900 I've seen is from Bassanni.

SOM
    2002 WS6 M6 - 461hp 406tq

^^You can get it for cheaper than that if you call....never seen Kooks TD's anywhere near $950 though. It's worth it if you want TD's stainless all the way back. I was quoted $1800 for the same setup from a local shop.

Hard for me to swallow that price, even stainless, since I buy stainless dual exhaust systems for the classic cars for $500. They are really cornering the market for these 4th gens.

Red
    99 Z28

I have one.. Just havent put it on yet. The car is came off of was all stock and sounded sick, so i had to have it.. Dont forget that you have to purchase ALOT more than just the exhaust for it to work.

SOM

You need a PHB relocation kit and new tunnel brace for it to work, or any TD over the axle system. I wouldn't say that's a lot but the price can add up if you don't already have those suspensions upgrades on your car. They definately have the market cornered since no one else make a stainless TD system for 4th gens out the back that you can put on in your garage. Kooks saved me $500 since I didn't have to have one custom made.

Bassanni doesn't require a different Pan hard bar relocation bracket or a different cross member. It's made to work with the stock parts. One pipe over the pan hard, one pipe under. They also make it in 3" stainless now for $935 and free shipping.

Navy Blue
    Chevrolet Camaro SS

Have any pics availanle

Bassanni has great pics on their site. Shows how the exhaust is ran to avoid those expensive suspension pieces with the over/under design.

The Kooks system is running both of their pipes over the Panhard which is why the relocation bracket (lowering bracket) is required.

navy blue
    1998 camaro ss

Which sounds better bassani pr kooks?

black
    02 Z28 and 00 SS

If your doing it on your camaro just dump it before the axles and go with a texas speed kit or go to a good exhaust shop. My true dual setup cost me $250 parts and laber and looks identical to texas speed setup, Were i think theres cost around $500

Quote Originally Posted by matt evans View Post
    If your doing it on your camaro just dump it before the axles and go with a texas speed kit or go to a good exhaust shop. My true dual setup cost me $250 parts and laber and looks identical to texas speed setup, Were i think theres cost around $500
    I think it depends on the individual. I've had them dumped before, got too old for that anymore. Tired of setting off car alarms and the drone inside the cabin was horrible for anything over a 1/2 hour drive, and the dust they kick up is horrendous.
    For a weekend toy, it could probably be tolerable, and it's definately a cheap way to go. Just depends on what you can put up with.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 01-10-2012 at 06:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersport0126 View Post
    Which sounds better bassani pr kooks?
    That again is personal taste. I've heard both, and I can tell you the Kooks is loud, very loud. It only uses a pair of bullet style mufflers. Maybe if you substituted a real pair of mufflers it might not be so bad, but fitment issues become very tight.
    The Bassani uses a stock style transverse muffler that fits in the original location. With the larger muffler it's alot quieter and more refined. Still has a nice sound. To me it's more tolerable, but I'm getting old and tired of the really loud stuff anymore.
    A good person to ask on here is MRR23, he runs Bassani on both of his 4th gens, and even had dyno numbers comparing a good 3" catback to the Bassani, as well as track times and sound clips. Back then these systems were only 2 1/2". Now they offer 3" so I would expect even more difference.

SOM

Didn't know Bassani made a SS system now. They need to start advertising that thing better...I bet Kooks will lower their prices when word gets out. Most people get the Kooks without cats so those tiny mufflers don't do much. Cats will definately help quiet it down. My friend has Kooks TD's on his 5th gen where they can fit larger mufflers and it's extremely quiet....even with his high 230's cam I can't really hear it.

Those are some crazy bends under the PHB!!

http://www.bassani.com/downloads/pdf...nsructions.pdf
    Last edited by BrntWS6; 01-10-2012 at 07:51 AM.

Yeah they are, one over and one under. Not sure how tight things would get (with either system) when you start lowering cars and changing parts though.
    Mrr23 would be a good guy to ask, he has used this system more than once.

black
    02 Z28 and 00 SS

I have full adj under both my cars and it makes a world of difference not having that muffler in the way to get to the PHB to adjust or to get a jack under the pumpkin to lift it up. Like you said FBJ all personal preference. That bassani looks good but thats alot of money to spend. Shop around see what an exhaust shop can do and take your saved money and spend it on more suspension. IMO.

It may be certain locations that are better for some, but I've never had any luck finding an exhaust shop that mandrel bends. I know they are out there, but seems elusive in my part of town. It's what I would need before I considered a bent system from a local shop. That's why the kits are so appealing to me, not to mention convenient.

Red
    99 Z28

I dont like the fact that goes back into one muffler. I dont classify that as T/D setup IMO

Thread Information