Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    69 Camaro, 99 Camaro SS

Just Bought 99 SS

So i just added a new camaro to my garage, i have a 69 convertable and just got a 1999 Camaro SS. Anyways all it has is Borla exhaust on it and everything I dont really like Borla and want the cme but anyways my question is What is the best intake to get for this ls1? Fast? I want to get a bunch of add ons that i can do really quick. Mass air flow, intake maybe a cam. Let me know what you guys think for some quick hp. Thanks

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

I'm in the process of doing a little research for a cam as well, torn between 3... and as always, the TRex is in my mix I've heard nothing but good things about the 90mm FAST intake, but I think it depends on more of what you're heads/cam setup is going to be. Is this more of a DD, street drive, or track only car? I'm going with that it's more of a DD/street driven since most '69 owners keep them in the garage and reserved for nice days or track only cars (as beautiful fbodys of those vintage should be, i love those cars).

I'm leaning towards the TRex or Tsunami cam, and a 150 shot of the juice. I'm no expert on the airflow thing, but this was going to be one of my questions as well, so maybe somebody such as Hi-Po can chime in and help us out here Don't forget about letting that 10-bolt go!!!

Black
    69 Camaro, 99 Camaro SS

Ya DD and i'm sure that rear end is gonna blow within 3 weeks this car has been well taken care of but has been sitting for a while. i did a carfax and the first owner put 76k on it in 2 yrs. next owner put 5k on in 2 years 3rd owner put 7k on in 1 yr 11months and the last guy put 12k on in 3 years but he only drove it 1 or 2 times a week at most its been sitting for almost a year and a half. I drove it yesterday and it was extremely tight i have driven about 10 of these and this has been the best one by far. The guy was funny he was so picky he even went to going to the dealer to get factory speakers put back in cause he didnt want aftermarket stuff. But either way nice car and cant wait to start driving it alot.

Black
    69 Camaro, 99 Camaro SS

But either way i just want to do some stuff to get it into the 12's and i think thats not going to be much of a problem. I love these cars and they all seem to be in the low 13's stock. I want to do a little scca track day racing with it so suspension stuff is going to be done. So basically a street drag mix is what i want. Fast in the 1/4 and a good handling car. (as good as a camaro can handle haha)

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

If you're an automatic, a 3500 stall, 3.73s and some MT ET DR's should get you there. Atleast that's the implication I've been getting from everyone on here. If you're into SCCA and auto-crossing, talk to Beach Cruiser, he's gotta NBM WS6 TA and frequents alot of those events. He'd probably be some good help to you, might be easier to find him in the Firebird/WS6 section of this forum though. Are you an A4 or M6?

Black
    69 Camaro, 99 Camaro SS

im guessing a4 is auto 4 speed haha but its a 6 speed manual.

white
    2000 Z28

plenty of handling and power goodies through kyspeed(sponsor).

power wise go full exhaust from longtube headers all the way to the tips. air lid, port and polish throttle body and ls6 intake will do plenty fine. clean the maf dont change it. stock maf works great and causes no problems. but basic exhaust and intake will get you into the 12s assuming you are close to a track that is close to sea level. the lower the da the better the times and i have yet to see a below 5k da in the few times i have been to las vegas motor speedway. lvms is about 1/2 a mile above sea level and i've only been in the heat unfortunately.

handling wise sub frame connectors are needed. 3 pts are what i suggest. torque arms, lower control arms. and a good set of shocks and springs. umi has great products all the way around. oh yeah no strut tower brace. you should easily eliminate a lot of stock handling problems. these mods. but you would have to make a decision on drag strip or overall handling when you choose springs.

that should easily get you into the 12s. and have a nice handling car. also 3400+ stall converter for an auto or a solid clutch setup for manual(ls7 for bolt ons). drag radials will be plenty fine for 12s and if you want the most out of your set up mt et streets. and definitely last but not least is a tune. frost is a sponsor on here just check that section and you'll see tuned by frost. he can get you easliy taken care of with his mail order tune set up.

Black
    69 Camaro, 99 Camaro SS

Nice thanks i was going to buy a mass air flow but now that u say that whats the point. Anyways i just bought some slp headers but thats going to be a nightmare it seems to put them in myself. The borla is a nice exhaust i just dont like the looks i wanted the center mount exhaust. But i'm sure borla is one of the best considering its almost a grand haha. I might get rid of the cats i found a slp y pipe for 50 bucks on craigslist. But its going to scream the cops around here suck and i'll get nailed everywhere i go.

black
    1998 trans am

Let me know if we can help out with the build..

Thanks,
    Mark

KYSpeed.com | FREE SHIPPING & HANDLING | PRICE MATCH | EMAIL

Kook's | American Racing Headers | Vararam | HallTech | Textralia | SPEC | McLeod | Raptor | Trick Flow | AFR | ECS
    | FAST | APS | TTi | Procharger | RPM Transmission | Comp | DMH | HP Tuners | PFADT | SLP | STS

Black
    69 Camaro, 99 Camaro SS

Will do, i will be buying some stuff from your site really soon. I just bought the car yesterday so i gotta wait a week or 2 i bought the car for 6k not bad for how clean it is. But i'll be buying suspension first and wheels i was going to get the z06 wheels on ebay i dont really want to get 19's in the back they will cost a ton just for tires. But anyways ya suspension first then all motor stuff but i'm going to buy most stuff right off your site

white
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Camaro69Mac View Post
    Will do, i will be buying some stuff from your site really soon. I just bought the car yesterday so i gotta wait a week or 2 i bought the car for 6k not bad for how clean it is. But i'll be buying suspension first and wheels i was going to get the z06 wheels on ebay i dont really want to get 19's in the back they will cost a ton just for tires. But anyways ya suspension first then all motor stuff but i'm going to buy most stuff right off your site
    slp makes a good line lock and lid. most everything else is too much money. i have the slp headers and i hit a lot of speed bumps and my driveway. my car is not lowered. pacesetters and kooks tuck in nicely even with lowered headers. pacesetters are half of the price of most slp headers when i saw the prices. i shopped for mods before i bought the car. and honestly the only reason i have them is because the car had them when i bought it. but if you dont plan on lowering the car the headers shouldnt be a major problem. most things i scrape on save for my driveway are easily avoided.

Black
    69 Camaro, 99 Camaro SS

i was going to lower it like 1.4 or something, the eibach pro springs. I have 18" z06 wheels i was going to throw on

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Fast makes a good intake, I personally run a weiand - but it's custom matched to my setup. A lot of your choices will really come down to what you want your car to do (and money too), so my recommendation is do a lot of research. In the end it will give you the setup you want. Don't worry about the MAF - it wont help. Check out SD tuning though. Lots to dig into.
    It's not how fast you can go. It's how fast you can get there.

Follow us at www.facebook.com/RGCustoms

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by marksls1ta View Post
    Let me know if we can help out with the build..

Thanks,
    Mark
    Mark is a great guy and actually LISTENS to customer feedback and requests... you'll have a great experience going through him, I'm confident in that.

And I'm also with Knight, let's see some pics man

Black
    69 Camaro, 99 Camaro SS

I'm trying to figure out how the hell to put them in this thread? I have a couple pictures so far i'll post more friday after i pick it up from getting new tires on it. Its basically all stock but Borla. But anyways how do i post a picture in here???? Yes i know i'm new...Sorry guys

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Theres a sticky on joining photobucket and posting pics. It will show you how.

Black
    69 Camaro, 99 Camaro SS

Here we go
    Ok got it i have one of those photobucket accts i have pics of my bike and stuff on there
    Heres a couple pics and i'll get more as i do things to it. Either way 6 grand for this car was a good deal I've looked at alot of these and this was the cleanest and least beat on out of them all.

Last edited by Camaro69Mac; 03-16-2010 at 04:26 PM.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Looks good to me, man. I like it. Time to start the modding!

Black
    69 Camaro, 99 Camaro SS

I'm gonna drive it for a week and look around then let the spending begin....Lets see some of your cars out there. Anyone have the newer Z06 wheels on their camaro? the latest Z06 with the 7.0. I seen some 18's on ebay that i think would look good.

white
    2000 Z28

i think the stock offset for the c6 z06 18/19 are different and might need an adaptor. check the wheels and tires section. they will straighten you out on that issue.

Thread Information