Thread: Idle Problems

Black
    1998 Chevrolet Camaro SS

Idle Problems

Alright so this morning I go out and start my car..I turn the key to the on position (where all your lights come on the dash) and the SES light stays on. I turn the car on...and the RPM is fluxuating from 1k to like 500rpm's. It lasts for like 4 seconds then goes back to a modest 1kRPM. I turned the car off, and immediatley turned it on agian and the SES light didn't come on. Turned the car off, and waited a few minutes and the light came back on with the same fluxuating RPM's. I was wondering if anyone could help find out why it is doing this. I was thinking maybe plugs and wires, fuel filter, or possibly the fuel pump. The plugs/wires haven't been changed in like a year, same with fuel filter. I have also had issues with my MAF sensor to awhile back. Any help would be appreciated though.

Thanks, Sean

I'd bring it somewhere and have the codes read, like autozone if you don't have a scanner. Once the MIL illuminates most codes stay in history for 40 ignition cycles even if the light turns back off.

Black
    1998 Chevrolet Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28 View Post
    I'd bring it somewhere and have the codes read, like autozone if you don't have a scanner. Once the MIL illuminates most codes stay in history for 40 ignition cycles even if the light turns back off.
    I went to AdvancedAuto a month ago because of my MAF and they don't sell them around here since they sell them in the store. It sucks badly...

Just see if you have any codes stored, write them down and post what they are. Autozone will read them free.

Black
    1998 Chevrolet Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28 View Post
    Just see if you have any codes stored, write them down and post what they are. Autozone will read them free.
    Ok will do. I probably won't be able to go untill Wednesday though, so it will have to wait till then...

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

When you turn the key to the run position and the SES light comes on, that is considered normal. If the SES light stays on once the car is started, then thats a whole new ballgame!

2018 Tahoe - Silver - OEM

2008 Z06 - Velocity Yellow - BBE exhuast - Airaid CAI **sold**

2002 Z06 - Electron Blue Metallic - D1 - E85 - 701 rwhp 687 rwtq **sold**

2002 Z28: M6 NBM - cam and boltons - 396rwhp 357 rwtq **sold**

Nuclear Cat Will End All LS1Powerhouse's Avatar
    Edwardsville, IL (So. IL Univ. of Edwardsville)

Mystic Teal
    1999 Camaro Z28 - A4

I don't get the SES light... But my car fluctuates between 500-1000 RPMs at start when it's cold outside and the engine is on a fresh start for about 5 seconds... Then returns to normal... Never thought of this as a big deal.

Black
    2002 A4 Z/28

spark plugs and wires? i dont know to much about the codes and such....

White
    2001 Camaro SS

vacuum leak somewhere? check all of your vacuum lines. if that's not it check plugs/wires and possibly o2 sensors. i'm pretty sure the o2 sensors would throw a code and make your ses light come on.
    do your rpm's go up sometimes when you push the clutch in too? could be your maf.
    Last edited by thisisthewayilive; 11-13-2008 at 09:24 AM.

01 white ss, t-top, m6, intake, exhaust 363rwhp/372rwtq

Black
    1998 Chevrolet Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by thisisthewayilive View Post
    vacuum leak somewhere? check all of your vacuum lines. if that's not it check plugs/wires and possibly o2 sensors. i'm pretty sure the o2 sensors would throw a code and make your ses light come on.
    do your rpm's go up sometimes when you push the clutch in too? could be your maf.
    No my car is an A4. Yesterday I took the car to my friends house and used his OBD2 scanner, and it said something about the throttle body or something. Saying my car is running to lean. Then it gave another code saying Bank 1 and Bank 2. When I first got the car it would throw me an SES code once in awhile. I thought it was the MAF because of the K&N AF oil getting to it or something. I changed the MAF to an SLP MAF, and the light stayed on constantly. Just last month I changed it back to the stock MAF and the light went off. The previous owner also put an aftermarket 80mm BBK Throttle body on it. My friend was asking me about the throttle body sensor, and if my car had one, and also if it was hooked in or w/e. I don't really know because I didn't pay attention to it when I looked at it last. He was saying that it could cause major problems though if it wasn't there though. After he cleared the codes though it has been running fine....for now..

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Be carefull with BBK's Some of them have a black coating called a bore coating on the edge and back side of the throtle blades that is there to make them idel properly. If it is removed it will not idel right. If you have a chiltons service manual you can check the TPS sensor with an Ohm meter, It tells you how in the book I have one some were but you might find it online. Tps sensor can cause idel problems as well.

Thread Information