Well I finally got my car tuned

SLP Lid
    LS6 Intake
    QTP Long Tube Headers
    3" ORY
    Magnaflow Catback
    SS3600 stall

My numbers were 334/340 on a dynojet.

The numbers could be a bit better, but i am not disappointed. This is an automatic, (hence the stall).

It also had 105k on it. The tune turned out very well. I recommend Dan at dynosport in lincoln nebraska for anyone that lives in the area. The car felt way better afterwards....pulls reallly smooth now. Idles like a dream.

My buddy had his hand on the car talking to me through the window and asked if it was running...he couldn't believe the smoothness of the LS1 haha

Jon, if you ever read this i am just givin you crap.

I can post the dynosheet, but it's pretty typical. TQ across the whole thing steady. HP was the steadiest incline i have ever seen. I've posted pics of my car all over the board, but if anyone wants to see some, i got em

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Dont be disappointed, everyone started somewhere, Those numbers arent too bad for the work you have done.. Now its time to start modding even more.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

3-Time F-Body Offender doozjamann's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 SS Camaro

Good numbers.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

My next mods might be minimal. The car isn't perfect so idk how far I really want to go. I'll probably stick a cutout on.

Don't know if i'll go behind the headers or near the catback. I was thinking of doing a custom grind cam, but unsure now. That'll be about 1500 with supporting mods and a tune.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

I have an m6 and damn near identical mods to mine. Guess what? our numbers are basically the same.

Red
    1998 Camaro SS

When I had the same mods on my SS A4 and they dyno tuned it I got just a little less power then you.
    1998 Camaro SS Hard Coupe Bright Red #1593
    Mods: Lots!!, still my daily driver except for winter
    383rwhp 370rwft/lbs

1979 Corvette
    Mods Lots!!, weekend cruiser
    325rwhp and 320rwft/lbs

2007 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 (Yes its got a HEMI)
    Mods: Catback, BFI CAI, Winter daily driver

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post

SLP Lid
    LS6 Intake
    QTP Long Tube Headers
    3" ORY
    Magnaflow Catback
    SS3600 stall

The numbers could be a bit better, but i am not disappointed. This is an automatic, (hence the stall).

It also had 105k on it. The tune turned out very well. I recommend Dan at dynosport in lincoln nebraska for anyone that lives in the area. The car felt way better afterwards....pulls reallly smooth now. Idles like a dream.

My buddy had his hand on the car talking to me through the window and asked if it was running...he couldn't believe the smoothness of the LS1 haha

I can post the dynosheet, but it's pretty typical. TQ across the whole thing steady. HP was the steadiest incline i have ever seen. I've posted pics of my car all over the board, but if anyone wants to see some, i got em
    So you have about 400 fwhp. Sounds about right to me.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Put the cutout in the I pipe right befor it goes over the axle, fits perfect..
    J

Fire
    2002 SS

My numbers were 334/340 on a dynojet...
    I have tested at 365-378 depending on conditions.
    I have same mods plus a Futural Motorsports cam that I am very happy with [FMS Custom Grind Camshaft FM1-F13-112 [+4] - 230"/232" .595"/.585" 112LSA]. A tune improved driveability by reducing hot-start surging and the chuggling you can get with a cam mod, but barely improved peak HP & Tq. Operator set vehicle weight at 3850. This was on a Mustang Dyno which is a brake dynamometer, as opposed to the Dynojet which is an inertial dyno. I am told the brake dynos produce lower numbers than inertial dynos.

http://www.mustangdyne.com/
    http://www.dynojet.com/

What did you weight the car at?
    What were your base numbers before the tune?

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

I am not sure what it weighs. Don't z28s typically weigh 3500. I removed the spare, so thats like 40lbs. I am supposed to race someone this weekend...maybe i should take out the seats haha.

Before: 322/338
    After: 334/340

I didn't gain much, but he called it a safe tune. before the tune i had about 14.8-15.2 AFR. Now it's a solid 13 AFR.

I was thinking hard about the cutout. Not sure if i should go with dual electrics behind the headers. Or maybe put a muffler just before the cutout in the I pipe. I know the dual electrics would be loud, but wouldn't i gain hp and sound good with the muffler in the I pipe before the cutout. Not sure which muffler would sound the best.

black
    2001 Camaro SS

If you get a cutout i wouldn't put a muffler before it... it kinda defeats the purpose. I've got similar mods to yours with a cam and a cutout and it's loud but not out of control with it closed (like your's prolly is) and it's rediculous with it open.
    My buddy with my same mods put two behind the headers instead of one on the ipipe like me, and when it comes to sounds we are the same in terms of volume and quality.... and it sounds good....
    i'd get one cutout and no muffler.

Fire
    2002 SS

Quote Originally Posted by sunsetorangess View Post
    Put the cutout in the I pipe right befor it goes over the axle, fits perfect..
    J
    Ditto. Definitely the way to do it.

Yeah it's loud, but to put it in perspective; a cop said "that thing sounds awesome" while writing me a speeding ticket. Apparently he was not clued about cutouts, even though you can easily see it from behind the car.

Opening the cutout showed +20HP on the dyno [stock muffler]. I know y'all call BS to this and I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it myself.

nbm
    99 z28

SLP Lid
    LS6 Intake
    QTP Long Tube Headers
    3" ORY
    Magnaflow Catback
    SS3600 stall

what was the cost to have it tuned?

Fire
    2002 SS

Quote Originally Posted by luvmyz28 View Post
    what was the cost to have it tuned?
    Sometimes you reprogram the ECM for reasons that have nothing to do with improving power:
    [TURN OFF: speed limiter, 2ndary cats, EGR circuit, CAGS/Skip Shift, VATS]
    [CHANGE: redline, auto-trans shift points, idle speed, speedometer]
    I would suggest that the above should be inexpensive, if it's not -go elsewhere.

Without significant mods [cam, NO2, blower, etc.] tuning will not result in power gain [ie., waste of money].

Tuning for power & driveability: I hear $300 -$500 [mine was free, son works there]. Forget buying someones reprogrammer or software. Reprogrammers don't do anything significant [change Idle & reset codes] and are a waste of time. Software? You won't know what you are doing -an experienced tuner will solve issues and prevent problems you never dreamed to ask about. And without live feedback of the PCM while the car is on a dyno, you really are risking engine damage.

If you just want to see what the car does, watch the local shops for "dyno days" where you can show up, usually with a local club, and pay $25 for 2 pulls and a print out.

See these guys if you are in central Texas, or use mail-order. They know what they are doing. http://www.fuelinjection.com/

I don't sell this stuff or work for these guys, this is just what I have learned.
    Last edited by Vexzer; 10-24-2008 at 02:02 PM.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

150, but it was a special price since he was doing a dyno day
    Last edited by allbaugh_04; 10-24-2008 at 12:16 PM.

nbm
    99 z28

150, but it was a special price since he was doing a dyno day
    that seems pretty reasonable. I live in the omaha area as well and so far I haven't come across a shop that does dyno tuning. I haven't been looking real hard either, but do you know of anyone in omaha that does this? I know you said the shop you went to is in lincoln. just would rather not have to go that far.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

it's worth it for the price. if you call the guy he'll quote you more so don't bother (3-400). if it's a special day and you are nice, i am sure he'll cut you a break. i noticed you were in the area and c&s does it, but they cost an arm and a leg. someone i know said he might try and set something up with them though. i'll try and let you know if he does.

what do you have done that warrants a tune?

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

i heard madz28 i think his name was...on ls1tech

anyways, i hear he does a mail order tune and it's usually spot on. pull your pcm and send it to him. that's always an option.

Red
    98 SS Camaro

my 98 dynoed 350 351 with lt, ory, lid and ls6 intake. Your numbers could definetaly be higher.

I didnt have a tune either BTW

nbm
    99 z28

it's worth it for the price. if you call the guy he'll quote you more so don't bother (3-400). if it's a special day and you are nice, i am sure he'll cut you a break. i noticed you were in the area and c&s does it, but they cost an arm and a leg. someone i know said he might try and set something up with them though. i'll try and let you know if he does.

what do you have done that warrants a tune?
    I put longtubes ory and magnaflows on it. I think its running a little rich. its pretty stinky. some of it could be the oil that was on the pipes. I have hp tuners but no wideband sensor yet. so all Ive done is tune out the rear o2s, skip shift, and took a couple scans. from what I've seen a wideband is about 200-300. so I was just thinking if I could get a good tune done on a dyno for 150 I could just save that tune like i did with it stock, wait a bit and get a wide band later. at some point I'd like to dig a little deeper into the tuning. taking VERY small steps of course.

Thread Information