Liquid Red
    2008 Pontiac G8 GT

How to tell if a Camaro is a real SS

I work for a dealership and we're looking to buy an SS for our store. The one in question has several aftermarket items (side skirts, front/rear bumpers, hood) and a few goodies under the hood but nothing major. Since the original hood is long gone and so are the wheels, I have nothing else to go on. Will a VIN tell me if it's a real SS? RPO code?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Yes to both. The RPO code is WU8.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Quote Originally Posted by Red97GTP View Post
    I work for a dealership and we're looking to buy an SS for our store. The one in question has several aftermarket items (side skirts, front/rear bumpers, hood) and a few goodies under the hood but nothing major. Since the original hood is long gone and so are the wheels, I have nothing else to go on. Will a VIN tell me if it's a real SS? RPO code?
    What year of Camaro are you looking at?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Good question. The RPO code I listed is for 97 and newer I believe.

Liquid Red
    2008 Pontiac G8 GT

It's a 99. Also, the car is here right now. We put it up on a lift and we noticed something funky. At the rear of the trans there are two sensors that connect to factory harnesses that look odd. They have small retangular gray boxes on them with a small red LED light in them. They run on both sides of the trans. They look like 02 simulators but they aren't. The car does have deleted cats with headers with the factory 02 sensors in them, but they are connected to a harness already. There is a CEL on as well, we may have to scan it to find out what's up with that too, maybe they're connected. Any help on the gray boxes??

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

It's a 99. Also, the car is here right now. We put it up on a lift and we noticed something funky. At the rear of the trans there are two sensors that connect to factory harnesses that look odd. They have small retangular gray boxes on them with a small red LED light in them. They run on both sides of the trans. They look like 02 simulators but they aren't. The car does have deleted cats with headers with the factory 02 sensors in them, but they are connected to a harness already. There is a CEL on as well, we may have to scan it to find out what's up with that too, maybe they're connected. Any help on the gray boxes??
    Can you get a pic?

Well you got me with the grey boxes and led lights. The only thing that should be on the trans at the very back would be the speed sensor, and that's a small plug with 2 wires in it. You didn't mention which trans you have, but what I mentioned is the same for both the manual and the auto.
    All I can suggest would be the scan the codes that are present and see if it's related.

Liquid Red
    2008 Pontiac G8 GT

The car is an auto. We figured out that they are "cheaters" for the O2's. They are not working properly causing the CEL.

The car is an auto. We figured out that they are "cheaters" for the O2's. They are not working properly causing the CEL.
    Ah, so it was related to the check engine light then. That's an easy fix for ya.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

If it doesn't have or need cat's then you can tune out the rear O2's as all they do is measure cat efficiency.

Like stated a 4th gen SS will have a "WU8" code on the door or you can enter the VIN into the GM database and it will tell you everything about the vehicle.

Liquid Red
    2008 Pontiac G8 GT

Thanks for the help 67. We're buying the car on Wednesdag and we're taking it to get dyno tuned right off the bat and get the O2's taken care of. Also, do you have a link to the VIN database? The RPO code sticker was a bit worn out and we weren't able to read the whole sticker.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Thanks for the help 67. We're buying the car on Wednesdag and we're taking it to get dyno tuned right off the bat and get the O2's taken care of. Also, do you have a link to the VIN database? The RPO code sticker was a bit worn out and we weren't able to read the whole sticker.
    If it's a 99, chances are the RPO list is no longer available through GM's database.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I believe in 99, SLP still was converting the cars to SS's. You may try contacting them and seeing if they can't tell you by the VIN number. I honestly don't know when SLP started doing this though.

Thread Information