black
    02 trans am

how do i know its an authentic 97 ss???

i have a buddy that bought a 97ss camaro with 44,000 miles from a dealer he cant take it home untill wenseday because is hasnt been inspected he saw it be delivered to the dealership and he bought it. its not t-tops.
    from my understanding the 97 super sports and 97 firehawks came with a lt4 right???
    and does this car have any value even if it doesnt have t-tops???
    i havent seen the car but is there any way of inspecting the car to see if its an authentic ss, besides the emblems???
    the dealership ran a carfax and it came back as a ss but there aways typo errors???
    i personally dont know if the engine looks different from the lt1, so does anybody have any pics off the underhood of a ss or firehawk????

thanks in advance

doublejack
    This car most likely has an LT1, not a LT4. GM did make 100 30th anniv. Camaro SS's with the LT4. If this is one of those it will also be white with hugger orange stripes and a hounds tooth leather interior. In addition to that 100 cars, GM and SLP teamed up to make many (well over a thousand) "regular" SS cars that have a tweaked LT1 putting out around 300 hp (it's an LT1 with ram air). So the first indicator is the color & other 30th anniv. markings. If it passes that test then you'll need either the original window sticker from SLP indicating it has the LT4 (and it will say what # the car is out of 100) *or* you'll then have to dig into the sublte differences between the LT1 & LT4 to determine which motor it has. But my money says it's an LT1, statistically there's like a 5% chance it's an LT4.

Regarding the t-tops, that doesn't matter really either way. Some people prefer the t-tops for the "cool" factor, and others prefer the coupe because they are more solid / flex less and don't leak & squeak. I bought my 97 Z-28 30th anniv. edition new back in the summer of 97 and specifically ordered the hard top. I think you'll find more people who don't like t-tops than people who do but it's really just personal preference.

black
    02 trans am

my new question is:
    did all the 97 ss anniv. white with orange stripes come with an lt4 or did some come with an lt1???
    because it's white with red/orange stripes, but it doesnt have the white wheels (they're chrome), it has white leather.
    thanks
    Last edited by gmpower; 01-14-2006 at 02:30 PM.

doublejack
    No, not all 97 SS anniv. cars came with the LT4. The 30th anniv. stuff (color, stripes, interior, wheels, etc.) was a package that could actually be ordered on any Camaro. So it still could be either an LT1 or a LT4, although the odds of it being an LT4 car have increased considerably because it at least has the right color.

Regarding the wheels, I'm sure that car came with white ones from the factory and a previous owner ditched them in favor of the chrome ones. Not what I would have done, but to each their own.

Yeah it'll beat a hemi!!! MapleredT/a's Avatar

maple red metalic
    2000 Trans Am

Wink

hey if you can get me then vin ill let you know pm it to me...

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28

You can either call or e-mail SLP with the VIN number or if you look on the drivers door where it has all the codes, there are a bunch of three digit/letter codes, you want to look for WU8 that is the code for the SS

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

your sure fire way is like uls1a said, check the drivers door for the WU8 code that is the SS package.

ALSO if the carfax said its a SS then it is, i've never heard of carfax's being wrong
    98' SS Convertible Camaro-76k-Build # 1471, Cragar SS rims, RK SFC's, MAC Panhard, LSX Tune, Shaner S3,
    SLP:short thro,Strut tower brace,fan switch
    MTI Power induction kit,40 Series muffler,Pacesetter LT's + ORY,12 CD changer,3800lbs
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/787506/1

doublejack
    I don't think the question is whether it's an authentic SS or not, it's which engine the car has - LT1 or LT4. And it could be either assuming it's a legit SS.

Thread Information