Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    '06 Z06 & '05 Ram SRT-10

How do I know if...

How do I know if my car has previously been lowered? Can the suspension sink a little as it gains more miles?

This is why I ask.

I parked next to my friends WS6 and his car that has about 30k miles on it sat at the stock level... when mine was significantly sitting lower, which has 80k miles..... Same tire size/wheel size.. but at the back of the cars you could stick your hand in between the fender and the tire and there would be space with the ws6,, but with my car it was a tighter fit. and you can see it sits lower.....

'06 Z06 & '05 Ram SRT-10

One more question...

My car rattles only when its in drive and sometimes park/reverse..

In neutral there is no rattling...

what could that be?

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by toityme View Post
    How do I know if my car has previously been lowered? Can the suspension sink a little as it gains more miles?

This is why I ask.

I parked next to my friends WS6 and his car that has about 30k miles on it sat at the stock level... when mine was significantly sitting lower, which has 80k miles..... Same tire size/wheel size.. but at the back of the cars you could stick your hand in between the fender and the tire and there would be space with the ws6,, but with my car it was a tighter fit. and you can see it sits lower.....
    One more question...

what could that be?
    Did you have a full tank of gas, and is your storage area full of crap?

The rattle could be the heat shields, or your cat has begun to fall apart inside. If it is the cat it will soon throw a catalyst code..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

My Neighbors Hate Me!!! lvbroham1's Avatar

Artic White
    2001 Chevy Camaro SS

Here's a few things that could possibly make your car sit lower...
    -Yes it could have previously been lowered check for other then stock shocks and or springs that look newer. Part numbers on the shocks could help too.
    -Shocks or springs could be potentially worn
    -pothole damage
    -speaker system or other heavy objects in back
    -worn control arm bushings
    These are just a few things I would look at if I thought my car was sitting a little lower.

My Neighbors Hate Me!!! lvbroham1's Avatar

Artic White
    2001 Chevy Camaro SS

the rattling could possibly be that it's time to replace you tranny mount, or like previously stated cats could be breaking up, but this is usually noticeable by a strong smell (like rotten eggs), and hesitation when accelerating, also a code will trip the ses light too if that's the case.

'06 Z06 & '05 Ram SRT-10

there is like nothing in my trunk and even when my tank is empty it still sits the same

ill have to go look at the springs and those other things..it could be just worn..

When I first drove my car it rode significantly smoother than other fbodies i have driven... so i wasnt sure if it had suspension work done or not. I never really looked lol

There isnt a delay and i also dont smell any rotting eggs..but then again my olfactory nerve doesnt work very well, i cant smell many things haha unless its SUPER strong

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Wink

there is like nothing in my trunk and even when my tank is empty it still sits the same

ill have to go look at the springs and those other things..it could be just worn..

When I first drove my car it rode significantly smoother than other fbodies i have driven... so i wasnt sure if it had suspension work done or not. I never really looked lol

There isnt a delay and i also dont smell any rotting eggs..but then again my olfactory nerve doesnt work very well, i cant smell many things haha unless its SUPER strong
    There's your trouble, no trunk..wink

'06 Z06 & '05 Ram SRT-10

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    There's your trouble, no trunk..wink
    haha huh

i have a trunk....hahahaha or at least there is some junk in it bhahahaha

but ill have to take a look under my car... i just hope if its something with the tranny mount that it isnt expensive cuz i have little to no money

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Tranny mounts are under $20, if it is stay with the rubber since you won't be changing motor mounts.
    After the third time under there it took no time at all just a bitch going back for tools.

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...y_mount_m6.htm

'06 Z06 & '05 Ram SRT-10

ohshit not too bad!!.... but does it make a difference that my car is an auto

Black
    2000 Camaro Z28 (sold)

+1 on shocks and/or springs are worn....but double check to see if your shocks/springs are the same stock parts....IMO there is too much gap in between the fender and tire for the stock set up anyway...

'06 Z06 & '05 Ram SRT-10

Quote Originally Posted by 00LS12LS6Z28 View Post
    +1 on shocks and/or springs are worn....but double check to see if your shocks/springs are the same stock parts....IMO there is too much gap in between the fender and tire for the stock set up anyway...
    i think so too, and thats whats weird..i wanted it lowered from stock.. its too high

but my car doesnt 'appear' like it has stock suspension because of how low it sits. - but it could just be worn...
    imma go take a look

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by lvbroham1 View Post
    Here's a few things that could possibly make your car sit lower...
    -Yes it could have previously been lowered check for other then stock shocks and or springs that look newer. Part numbers on the shocks could help too.
    -Shocks or springs could be potentially worn
    -pothole damage
    -speaker system or other heavy objects in back
    -worn control arm bushings
    These are just a few things I would look at if I thought my car was sitting a little lower.
    Quote Originally Posted by lvbroham1 View Post
    the rattling could possibly be that it's time to replace you tranny mount, or like previously stated cats could be breaking up, but this is usually noticeable by a strong smell (like rotten eggs), and hesitation when accelerating, also a code will trip the ses light too if that's the case.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00LS12LS6Z28 View Post
    All of these are pretty good ideas to start with. Just guessing, I would say the tranny mount is shot(typical and cheap easy fix), the u-joints could be bad or the driveshaft itself could be out of balance. Any of those will cause a vibration when in gear.

Can you take a picture of your shocks/springs with your phone maybe. Visual aid would help us eliminate whether you have stock shocks/springs or aftermarket ones.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

I was thinking pictures as well, should be the easiest way to tell.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

ohshit not too bad!!.... but does it make a difference that my car is an auto
    That is the instructions I used for my auto.

'06 Z06 & '05 Ram SRT-10

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    All of these are pretty good ideas to start with. Just guessing, I would say the tranny mount is shot(typical and cheap easy fix), the u-joints could be bad or the driveshaft itself could be out of balance. Any of those will cause a vibration when in gear.

Can you take a picture of your shocks/springs with your phone maybe. Visual aid would help us eliminate whether you have stock shocks/springs or aftermarket ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post
    I was thinking pictures as well, should be the easiest way to tell.
    sure thing! thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    That is the instructions I used for my auto.
    ahhh haha alright!

Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

+1 worn shocks/springs ... mine seems the same way, sits a lot lower than other ones ... check em out, push down on both ends and see how much it bounces when you do that, it should go down and come back up once

'06 Z06 & '05 Ram SRT-10

Quote Originally Posted by tep98ws6 View Post
    +1 worn shocks/springs ... mine seems the same way, sits a lot lower than other ones ... check em out, push down on both ends and see how much it bounces when you do that, it should go down and come back up once
    yeah you're probably right

I shoulda looked today, but ive been so lazy... maybe between classes tomorrow ill check it.. and take some pics

and try to figure out what the rattle is when its in drive.

Pewter
    2001 Z28

The rattiling is probably just the hatch, mine does the same in OD but in neutral it doesnt. When you have it in OD and are stopped is that when its doing it. Plus you have to think about the fact that when your in gear your kinda flexn the body if you know what I mean. when your in neutral your not putting a load on the body.

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

One more question...

what could that be?
    my car does it too! mostly happens when at a stop right? in D its bad then in nuetral its gone... comes from under the car?

not catylitic converter/tranny mount/hatch

its a heat shield problem i think dont go buying all the stuff these guys are telling you to, next time its on a lift look under it for an exhaust pipe too close to a heat shield or something..
    Last edited by justinmc978; 11-06-2009 at 11:43 AM.

Thread Information