Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

High miles and problems..what and when?

Hello all,
    First post here and im looking to buy a ls1 Camaro. I owned a 71 Camaro in my youth and at 33 now its time for another one. I am wondering what issues and around what miles do things start going wrong...how many miles are these ls1 motors good for? I've worked on cars my whole life so im not scared to get my hands dirty and i understand wear is part of life but lets face it nowadays its alot more expensive for repairs then they used to be. I just dont want to buy one with too many miles and not be able to pay to keep it going.
    Any comments are welcome. Thanks and this is a AWESOME fourm!

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

My 98 has 175,xxx on it and it runs just fine.

Impounded

NBM
    99 z28

my 99z just hit 170xxx yesterday. runs and drives like a scawlded dog. it thinks its a z06, err, wait. i just drive it like its a z06. no problems whatsoever. heard these motors(LS series are built to last awhile). and to me, 170xxx is "awhile".

in 170 + what all have you replaced?
    congrats on the great cars!

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

I'd be hard pressed to tell you. I bought the 98 as a DD a few months ago so I didn't put too many miles on the 02. I threw new plugs in it, a new radiator as it had a small leak (big problem here in Phoenix though) and changed all the fluids (basic services). Everything appears to be original except the tires and basic serviced items. It runs real strong and shifts smooth so I have no complaints. It was worth the $5k I paid for it.

Regarding the 02 ( I have more history with it - it's at 43,xxx) I've only had to replace the waterpump, brakes and tires (basic service stuff) except for the mods (exhaust + gears).

Impounded

NBM
    99 z28

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierdaddy33 View Post
    in 170 + what all have you replaced?
    congrats on the great cars!
    bcm about 3 years ago. oil pressure gauge sending unit about 7 months ago.
    thats it.

i will admit, im alot harder on it than i should be. well when i say "harder" i mean i drive it like it only has 70xxx miles rather than 170xxx. its hard for me not to get on it more than i should being that it is a muscle/sports car. plus i love the sound of 8 cylinders screaming through my exhaust. car is stock except flowmaster super 40 muffler and k&n filter. oh, and no cats.

awesome....sounds pretty smooth. Are the Lt1's as reliable?
    also t-tops vs hard top you guys have a pref? or manual vs auto?

Impounded

NBM
    99 z28

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierdaddy33 View Post
    awesome....sounds pretty smooth. Are the Lt1's as reliable?
    also t-tops vs hard top you guys have a pref? or manual vs auto?
    not to familiar w/LT1's reliability. im sure someone on here is though. t-tops all the way. i love mine. mines an a4, but i wish it was a 6 speed sometimes. then i think to myself for a second, and realize, hey i like to be lazy sometimes and just put it in OD and get to scootin. lol

plus its alot easier to drink and drive w/an auto. lol.

disclosure:
    i do not condone drinking and driving

(learned my lesson the hard way. twice.)
    but those days are behind me. and by days, i mean years

HAHA yea hard to smoke cig\drink\talk on cell and drive manual hehe done it tho
    in the way past.........dont drink and drive

Pewter
    2000 Z28

Well, Ive had mine for about 2 yrs now, and I bought her with 163k. Since then I have done both power window motors, an alternator, power steering pump, and new gaskets top to bottom of the engine. Granted, the gaskets were due to having the space while the headers were being installed. I have to replace the cats (or cat as Im going to a single high flow) to pass emissions in oct. I have also had to replace a few light fixture/housings. Also just did clutch master and slave cylinders. Keeping in mind, if my car isnt WOT, something must be wrong. Also, I recently broke something in the 6spd so now the stick doesnt spring back to the middle when in nuetral. It just kind of hangs where it was. Still I love the car.
    FOR SALE 2000 Z28 M6
    It's pretty much Raw Awesome

these are great stories to hear.....makes me feel better about finding a cheaper one with higher mileage.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

BTW: LT's + TD's w/ X-pipe dumped at the axle with Magnaflows and 3.73 gears + Dyno tune = 13.09 @ 109 in the quarter. That's here in Phoenix with the 02.

I've yet to put the 98 to the test but it feels like a solid low 14 high 13 ride even with all the mileage.

sweet.....I am looking for a nice looking camaro....cant afford no 15k so prob have to settle for a higher mile nice looking one

Black
    02 Z28 M6

My 02 is at 75k miles this week. I have only had it a few months and put 5k on it so far. When I found it on the lot it had a loud knock and was covered in filth. Everything was completely stock which is what alot of people say to look for. I believe the only repairs done to the car before I received it were brakes, and a spring in the clutch pedal. I replaced a cat which was covered automatically due to a defect until 80k miles. Those can always be removed anyways. The check engine light was flaggin a bad MAF sensor and O2 sensor. After I replaced those and drove out the 87 octane the knock disappeared. I also put in a new battery. Watch out for that small screw on the positive side. If it's corroded you'll likely be cutting it off. You know how to fix cars so no worries. I don't know anything and I have no worries. The only thing I'd trade this car for is a z06. I love it.

This Light Dinner Is Over hamburger68's Avatar

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

my z28 is at 60k now. it's an auto, shifts like new. the rear end was whining when i got it, so i got it overhauled. that's the only major repair it had. other than that only brakes and plugs.
    it had it's fair share of high speed driving and takes it pretty well. if you get an auto i recommend a tranny cooler. the stock shocks are crap, so you wanna get something better there.
    i find them easy to maintain, parts are reasonable. great cars, and really a bit too much fun...

Black 99 Z71
    Red 01 Z28 M6

What part of Indiana are you from HoosierDaddy?
    2001 Z28 M6
    SLP Loudmouth 1 catback, functional ram air hood, Pro 5.0 shifter, free mods, HSW wet nitrous kit

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Mine has crossed 150xxx. My tranny is on its way out but the only thing that really gave me problems was the TPS sensor and and the squeaky belts

white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

i had a 99 with 155k miles on it, with an auto, original engine and trans, never replaced anything, just the usual oil changes and tranny flushes, car ran a 13.1 with a lid and catback, put 322 to the ground on a mustang dyno, shit was strong, finally my little sis totaled it.

other than that i drove that car to the track weekly and abused and drove the piss out of that car,

Quote Originally Posted by zachj03 View Post
    What part of Indiana are you from HoosierDaddy?
    Plainfield (westside Indpls)
    where ya from?

QuickSilverMetallic
    2005 GTO M6

LT1 motors are a decent platform, the optispark being the only "real problem" that usually goes out. The LS1 is a total beast in stock form, and the aftermarket has stepped up to the plate and hit a homerun as far as perfomance parts go. My 01 SS has roughly 115k on it and it runs/drives like it just left the plant. Autos are nice for being lazy as stated above, but banging through the gears in one of these cars is pure heaven!!

Thread Information