Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Blue/Grey
    2002 Camaro

High mileage LS1 engines? Where is the limit?

My '02 B4C car has 205,066 on it today. I am the second owner, and when the state owned it the average oil change interval was 3,003 miles. It was in a bad accident at some point, the transmission was replaced due to being broken causing the flex plate to contact the rear of the block, and the exhaust stsyem was pretty well banged up too. I bought the car at public auction with 156,000 miles, and since them I have replaced; right side rear wheel bearing and axle shaft, front/rear brakes rotors etc., shocks/struts (AGX set at 8), oil pan gasket and rear seal, motor mounts, alternator, water pump, battery, plugs and wires, roof panel, hood, front bumper/fascia/headlinghts (due to accident), pass side window motor, radio light bulbs replaced. I cut the oil filter open at every oil change and oil samples tested every other oil change. To date not engine problems noted, other than the usual ticking sound when cold. Still has the VASP bule and grey paint. When I replaced the oil pan gasket at 177,000 the pan was clean inside, and I never see and metal stuck to the drain plug when I do the oil change.
    Thanks, Andy
    I was told that a Corvette was sold at the Carlisle show with 350,00 miles.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

As long as you give it some TLC you should get 400k or so. Just don't beat it too much and change all the fluids on a regular basis.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

When properly maintained, our engines will run for a good long time. Lots of guys on here have well over 100,000 mile and are still flogging them at the track on a regular basis.

Blog Entries

Black
    2002 SS Camaro

I want to put more miles on mine, these damn city commutes only need a bike, when will summer get here
    2002 Camaro SS Black Betty
    Suspension:
    Poly Trans mount, Solid Motor mount, Strut tower Brace
    Performance:
    SLP intake, Smooth Bellow, A.I.R Delete, M/T's on Salad Shooters
    Apperance:
    Re-Badged, Ultragauge, Whistler Mod, Racing Seats, Auto Hurst Shift Handle

Pewter
    99 Z/28

i've had my z28 for 9 years, and no internal engine work has been done to it. I'm at 238,000 miles and have replaced the water pump twice, the radiator once, alternator, battery (interstate battery lasted me 6 years), u joints, shocks/struts and window motors 3 times. Used to be my daily driver for a while and it is more reliable than my current daily driver.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0176.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	8.1 KB 
ID:	23749

Red w/ silver Stripes
    2000 WS6 6 Speed

I have customers with 150K+ still spraying a 150 on stock bottom end lol

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

The only limit to anything is your wallet..

Bright Red
    1998 Firebird Formula LS1

The main difference between getting 100,000 and 400,000 is regular fluid changes, like Jeff said. You can clearly see when preventive maintenance wasn't a priority in an engine.

It has everything to do with maintanance, and I also think it's up to the individual and how they use the car.
    For me when an engine reaches 150,000 miles or so, and it's my daily commuter as well as a long trip vacation vehicle, it doesn't matter to me if the engine is still running fine. It's getting to a point where I would feel better with a refresh of everything (not just the engine).

Dependability and no oil usage is more important to me than the "how many miles will it go" thinking process. Once an engine starts sucking oil past the guides, that's when I start thinking it's time for a tear down. If I had to add oil every 500-1,000 miles, it's no good to me. I can't take that on a vacation trip without hassles or worries of fouling plugs.

Now if it's just a weekend toy, run it till it breaks, or until the oil usage drives you nuts or fouls plugs

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    It has everything to do with maintanance, and I also think it's up to the individual and how they use the car.
    For me when an engine reaches 150,000 miles or so, and it's my daily commuter as well as a long trip vacation vehicle, it doesn't matter to me if the engine is still running fine. It's getting to a point where I would feel better with a refresh of everything (not just the engine).

Dependability and no oil usage is more important to me than the "how many miles will it go" thinking process. Once an engine starts sucking oil past the guides, that's when I start thinking it's time for a tear down. If I had to add oil every 500-1,000 miles, it's no good to me. I can't take that on a vacation trip without hassles or worries of fouling plugs.
    Now if it's just a weekend toy, run it till it breaks, or until the oil usage drives you nuts or fouls plugs
    This why I don't keep them past 120k, unless of course it's a project or seriously going to be one.

I personally have no use for a car or truck with more than 100k on it.

I just give them that extra 20k over while I make up my mind.

I was over 122k on the 01 Camaro, desided to project it, then changed my mind, then gone..

blue
    2001 silverado

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    This why I don't keep them past 120k, unless of course it's a project or seriously going to be one.

I was over 122k on the 01 Camaro, desided to project it, then changed my mind, then gone..
    And then there are the rest of us that can only afford those cars or trucks :'(

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post

Evidently it sounds like you and I do have something in common after all

I'm like you, I don't buy anything over 100k miles unless I've decided going in that an engine rebuild is going to happen.

Bright Red

Quote Originally Posted by smokestack View Post
    and then there are the rest of us that can only afford those cars or trucks :'(
    ^ this!

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by smokestack View Post
    And then there are the rest of us that can only afford those cars or trucks :'(
    Well I don't consider myself rich, I do pretty good but not rich.

I still strictly buy used vehicles though they are low mileage and I drive them up to the afore mentioned limit.

I have a 1992 z34 with 130k on the body, I desided to mod it so I kept it.

When I took her off the road she was exempt from emissions but could pass if need be with a tune change, but @ 130k it had no mechanical issues.

I did replaced the trany with a unit rebuilt for severe duty a couple years before and that was getting tired as well.

As FBJ basicly states I desided it was time to overhaul her as the peace of mind just was'nt there anymore and I ran it hard.

Nothing wrong with it, it was just time in my minds eye.

When she takes to the streets again though everything under her will be brand new and restored, the body will still be high mileage.
    Last edited by Smittro; 02-24-2012 at 05:28 PM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Blue/Grey
    2002 Camaro

I have decided to see just how far it will go with the regular 3,000 mile oil changes. It currently is not quite a quart low then I reach the 3K oil change. It still runs great, and it's a B4C.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I used to start shopping when any of our cars hit the 100k mark. Changed my tune though a while back and began running our DD's longer -- so far no issues or problems on any of them. Highest in the fleet right now has 131,000 miles on it and it'll probably stay with us to at least 160,000.

Red
    2001 Chevrolet Camaro Z28

I am the original owner of my 01 Z28. She just turned 190,000 miles. Never had a problem with her and have never had to replace a part on the engine (knock on wood!). Just brakes and tires for me.......treat her well and she'll put a smile on your face everytime you get on her!

Bright Red

Quote Originally Posted by ntymd8r View Post
    I am the original owner of my 01 Z28. She just turned 190,000 miles. Never had a problem with her and have never had to replace a part on the engine (knock on wood!). Just brakes and tires for me.......treat her well and she'll put a smile on your face everytime you get on her!
    haha...I want to use that in my signature!

Red

Hehe....When I wrote that, I was thinking the same thing!

Red

.....there we go!
    2001 Chevrolet Camaro Z28, M6, Eibach Pro-kit, BMR STB, BMR Adj-PHB, BMR RB's, BMR SB's, BMR Adj-TA, KYB Adj-shocks, K&N, SLP LM, SLP Y-Pipe, SLP Intake, Predator Custom Tuned...

Treat her well and she'll put a smile on your face every time you get on her!

Thread Information