Thread: HID Help

Red
    2000 Camaro Z28 A4

HID Help

So im looking at getting some HID's for my 2000 Z28. im planning on ordering from DDM, but i do not know what i need... im going to be doing High beams, Low beams, and fog lights. i was thinking running 55w's for the highs and lows and 35w for the fogs... for bulbs im getting the 9005's, 9006, and 880's i think... i want a white to slightly blue headlights and fogs but dont understand all the options like the HID Harness, and adapter cables.... what u guys think i need?

navy blue metallic
    2002 camaro ss

You don't need any adapters. The kit is plug and play. I will be sponsoring the site soon and will be selling nothing but hid headlights. You have the bulbs right and the color you want is 8k. I would go with the 35 watt kit, its really bright. Any questions just pm me
    2002 Camaro SS/M6. Volant CAI, 80mm TB w/spacer, cat delete w/ ory, borla XR-1 w/ cme, custom tune, 3.73's, 8,000k HID headlights and foglights, 19" staggered ruff 278 wheels.

Black
    2001 Camaro - A4

Yeah, those should work. I've heard someone say they managed to get the 55w to fit in their fogs, but i didnt want to take the chance. I ordered 35w 8k for my fog (880) and lo's (h1, i have aftermarket compartments), and 55w 6k for my hi's from DDM. I'm getting them put in around christmas, i hope they turn out good!

I recommened the harness, for only $12.50, it may prevent plenty of frustrating problems. And for white/slightly blue, 6k is very popular, probaly your best choice.

02 Z28

pretty much got it down man... i suggest, if you want to get the most lighting to get 5000k. thats the whitest white they have.. it looks good too. 8000k is just too blue imo... its up to what you like, you want it bright and white, get 5k.. blue-ish look=8000k.. if you want just a hint of blue=6k.... hope this helps..

Black
    '98 Z28

Agree with vonskee here. I have DDMs 6000k 35W kit. They have a blue tint to them. If you want white, get 5000k. 8000k would look bad, imo. I would also recommend getting a relay harness from them. I usually don't have any problems, but every couple months or so, one bulb doesn't fire. I would also recommend not getting highs. The lows will be plenty bright.

Also keep in mind whether you plan on changing the headlights later to a projector style headlight. They'll need different bulbs than the 9006's. I have mine set up on a normal style headlight and hate them. I will be purchasing projectors in the near future.

Red
    2000 Camaro Z28 A4

well i have some headlights picked out and they hold the 9006's and 9005's so wouldnt they still work fine? so everyones vote is for the 35w and 5k-6k, and to get the harness and i use my highs alot because i drive my car summer round u dont think i should get them? im going to do the mod that allows my highs lows and fogs to be on at once also?

Black
    '98 Z28

My car is a daily driver and since I added HIDs, I've never even thought to put the brights on.

The problem I have with HIDs in halogen housings is that if they aren't aimed correctly, you are literally blinding oncoming traffic. To do it right, you'd go with projector headlights. This will focus the light on the road and keep light from scattering.

Here are some pics from a thread on ls1tech.

These are sonar brand projectors

Not with HIDs, just halogens in a projector housing

Red
    2000 Camaro Z28 A4

ok i think ill wait on the high beams but i guess im looking at 35w 9006's 6k for lows and 35w 880's 6k for the fogs... but with the harnesses will i need a harness for the lows and fogs? and if i deiced to get the highs will i need a harness for that aswell?

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

It will be beneficial to do the 6 hi mod because hid's take a few seconds to warm up so when you go to hi beams at nite the road wont disappear for a lil bit

Black
    2002 Chevrolet Camaro Z28

[IMG][/IMG]

Black
    2001 Camaro - A4

10k??

02 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by tpilews View Post
    My car is a daily driver and since I added HIDs, I've never even thought to put the brights on.

The problem I have with HIDs in halogen housings is that if they aren't aimed correctly, you are literally blinding oncoming traffic. To do it right, you'd go with projector headlights. This will focus the light on the road and keep light from scattering.

Here are some pics from a thread on ls1tech.

These are sonar brand projectors
    Click for full size

Click for full size

Not with HIDs, just halogens in a projector housing
    Click for full size

i like these alot! i really wish somebody out there would do a custom headlight for our car with some good projectors PERIOD! no l.e.d.'s, halos.. none of that crap.

OP: all i bought was the kit, and i never had any problem with mine.. only thing is that it takes about 3-5 seconds for the lights to fully turn all the way on (brightest).. i dont have a problem with that though.. i usually start the car and let it sit for 5 mins before i drive anyway.. anyway, get 55w for lows/highs.. 35w for fogs.

Black
    2000 Z28 M6

yeah as stated above, get 5k or 6k for white or white/blue..

i have 5k everything and love it. for some reason the foglights are much more blue than the low beams but they were both supposed to be 5k... not sure why

Agree with vonskee here. I have DDMs 6000k 35W kit. They have a blue tint to them. If you want white, get 5000k. 8000k would look bad, imo. I would also recommend getting a relay harness from them. I usually don't have any problems, but every couple months or so, one bulb doesn't fire. I would also recommend not getting highs. The lows will be plenty bright.

i have this same exact problem, only 1 headlight will start

i let the 1 warm up, and then i turn on high beams and then back to low beams again, and then they both start up..

it would be cured by purchasing that relay kit right?

Black
    '98 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by mammoth713 View Post
    yeah as stated above, get 5k or 6k for white or white/blue..

i have 5k everything and love it. for some reason the foglights are much more blue than the low beams but they were both supposed to be 5k... not sure why

i have this same exact problem, only 1 headlight will start

i let the 1 warm up, and then i turn on high beams and then back to low beams again, and then they both start up..

it would be cured by purchasing that relay kit right?

Yeah, the relay will draw power directly from the battery. I'm going to add relays when I add my HID fogs.

Black
    2000 Z28 M6

Yeah, the relay will draw power directly from the battery. I'm going to add relays when I add my HID fogs.
    do you only need 1 relay harness or 2?

Black
    '98 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by mammoth713 View Post
    do you only need 1 relay harness or 2?
    2. One for each set.

Black
    '98 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by vonskee-z28 View Post
    i like these alot! i really wish somebody out there would do a custom headlight for our car with some good projectors PERIOD! no l.e.d.'s, halos.. none of that crap.

OP: all i bought was the kit, and i never had any problem with mine.. only thing is that it takes about 3-5 seconds for the lights to fully turn all the way on (brightest).. i dont have a problem with that though.. i usually start the car and let it sit for 5 mins before i drive anyway.. anyway, get 55w for lows/highs.. 35w for fogs.
    I'd buy them in a heartbeat. Honestly, that's the only thing holding me back from making the purchase at this time. I'm not excited about the leds/halo crap, but there really is no other option.

02 Z28

I'd buy them in a heartbeat. Honestly, that's the only thing holding me back from making the purchase at this time. I'm not excited about the leds/halo crap, but there really is no other option.
    there is but it will take some time... im in the process of making my whistler mod right now... on the other note, i have an extra set of headlights im gonna do a project on... i got some really good projectors i got from a friend.. they are from a acura tsx... pretty soon im gonna buff the lenses of the extra camaro headlights i got and retrofit the projector and mold it etc etc...... hope i get em aligned perfect and all.... i will post pics when its done which would probably be NEVER.. lol

Thread Information