Black
    1995 Firebird

Helping a friend with his Camaro...few Q's

Ok my friend has let his 1988 Camaro (RS..Z28...I forget shit lol) V8 (350?) Automatic sit for the past year because it would start leaking coolant he said so him & his dad parked it in the back of the driveway. Blah blah I was gone for the past year and found out it was still parking. He's not to mechanically inclined and i'd say I know my share of mechanics but yeah.

Few things....his dad said we should check the freeze plugs (where are they?) as someone told him to check there as that may be the coolant leak culprit as the person said when the car warms up it could leak out the plug(s)?? Sound true? If so where are the plugs

Next the temperature guage doesn't work.....where is this sensor located so we can replace it.

He has the fans wired up on a switch...is this good or should we put it back to stock?

I plan on helping him do a complete tune up such as a coolant flush (has damn mud in the resevoir tank!!!) and changing the thermostat after we figure this leak thing out.

That is about it for now....I can figure out the rest of the general maintenance but wasn't sure about this whole freeze plug thing his dads friend talked about.

WHITE
    2000 Z28 M6

Well coolant can come out of a lot of places? maybe if you could get a good look at WHERE its leaking from and you could find the leak if it is the freeze plugs the are on the side of the engine block they are round and sit under the heads so tell him to fill the coolant back to normal level get a pressure tester screw it on in place of the radiator cap pressurize the system and see if you can find the leak then IMO sounds like a hose thats swelling up

Black
    1995 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by Toes View Post
    Well coolant can come out of a lot of places? maybe if you could get a good look at WHERE its leaking from and you could find the leak if it is the freeze plugs the are on the side of the engine block they are round and sit under the heads so tell him to fill the coolant back to normal level get a pressure tester screw it on in place of the radiator cap pressurize the system and see if you can find the leak then IMO sounds like a hose thats swelling up
    Sounds like a plan...first I have to get his cheap ass to go buy a new battery as his is toast lol so we can at least get the damn thing running again.

I planned on checking for the source of the leak (I believe his dad/him said it was by the firewall they think?) but the pressure test is a good idea. I never used one of those radiator pressurizers but i'm assuming it gets the system pressurized without getting actually starting it correct? How much pressure do you put it up to and can you find one at a local parts store like Autozone? Sorry to sound noob but hey everyone has to learn *shrug*

WHITE
    2000 Z28 M6

yep it like a pump and you want to pressurize it to what ever the cap is rated at yes you should be able to get one at autozone and if its by the firewall im thinkin the hoses to the heater core or the heat core its self if it is does he want to drive it when is cold out beacuse a heater core in that car is a PITA to R&R

Black
    1995 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by Toes View Post
    yep it like a pump and you want to pressurize it to what ever the cap is rated at yes you should be able to get one at autozone and if its by the firewall im thinkin the hoses to the heater core or the heat core its self if it is does he want to drive it when is cold out beacuse a heater core in that car is a PITA to R&R
    Cool cool.....well we'll see. Who knows it may not even been coolant leaking....his engine bay isn't sparkling clean and I wouldn't doubt if it was something else leaking so i'll definitely have to check it out once his cheap ass buys a new battery like I said.

I appreciate the advice you have gave. Not much more to ask till he buys the battery (hopefully tomorrow he said) and start checking things out so till then thanks.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

FYI: There are freeze plugs on the back of the engine also. They're in front of the flexplate/flywheel.

Thread Information