Red
    2001 Camaro SS SLP Cvrtbl

Question Help us make an informed decision...

Hi all,

New here, and hoping some of you would be so kind as to help us make an informed decision...

My fiancee recently inherited this 2001 Camaro SS Convertible SLP. 6 spd, LS1. It's quite a car.

Here's the rub... it was sitting in her father's garage for about 8 years without really being driven. It has developed several very leaky problems, like the rear main seal, master cylinder, power steering pump, rack and some other things. Plus, the clutch is shot and needs to be replaced as well.

Our local Chevy guys just called us with an estimate to repair it all for about $7K.

So here's our dilemma:

At this point, it makes no sense for us to keep the car. Without the repairs, it's not really drivable. But the repairs are too expensive for us to pay for if we're not going to sell the car to recoup those costs. So keeping and driving it are unfortunately not an option for us.

We can't really figure out what the car is worth in its present condition, but we figure it would be worth somewhere around 10k if we get the work done.

Is it worth it to get the repairs done before we sell it? Or should we just sell it "as is" to someone that wants to fix it up?

Any advice or direction you guys could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

If you fix it for 7k, then sell for 10k, you are looking at making 3k. I think you could sell it outright for more than 3k, and make more money without the headache of fixing. On top of that, an estimate of 7k could turn into an actual of well over that, you never know what else the mechanic will run into with a car that has sat for that long. I'd say put it up for sale first, if you have no luck, then think about repairs. Maybe DIY some of it to save cost

Sent using my telèfono

2016 Summit White 1SS - The DD - Mishimoto catch can, Solo axleback & secondary cat delete, LED sidemarkers & reverse lights, head/taillight blackout, RCC custom badges
    2001 NBM Trans Am WS6 - Torquer V2 cam, Yank 3000 stall, Transgo kit, Racetronix fuel pump, TSP LTs, Magnaflow catback, Strano Springs/Koni STR.T shocks, 17x9.5/17x11 TTII's
    2000 Arctic White SS #1667 - Sold

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KArcticSS View Post
    If you fix it for 7k, then sell for 10k, you are looking at making 3k. I think you could sell it outright for more than 3k, and make more money without the headache of fixing. On top of that, an estimate of 7k could turn into an actual of well over that, you never know what else the mechanic will run into with a car that has sat for that long. I'd say put it up for sale first, if you have no luck, then think about repairs. Maybe DIY some of it to save cost

Sent using my telèfono
    +1

Try fixing as much as you can by yourself, without getting in over your head. And sell it as is. With that low price, you'll find a gear head looking for a project.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

My advice is to go get another estimate. I find it very hard to believe that all adds up to 7K.

Rack and pinion, w/PS pump and alignment, 1K to 1300.
    Master Cylinder, 400 max.
    Clutch, if that's more than 750 I'm shocked.
    And, what really is the oil leak? Is it really a rear main? Or something else looking like the rear main.

Exactly how bad is the oil leak, streaming out when the engine is running? Or just that the engine is oil covered (rare by the way, for LS1 engines).

I guess I'd be real skeptical that the car needs that much work. Do you mean the car won't move bc the clutch is so worn out? And every time the engine starts it spouts oil and PS fluid? and the brake pedal goes to the floor?

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Always get another estimate, and if it way off the first, get a third.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    My advice is to go get another estimate. I find it very hard to believe that all adds up to 7K.

And, what really is the oil leak? Is it really a rear main? Or something else looking like the rear main.

Exactly how bad is the oil leak, streaming out when the engine is running? Or just that the engine is oil covered (rare by the way, for LS1 engines).

I guess I'd be real skeptical that the car needs that much work. Do you mean the car won't move bc the clutch is so worn out? And every time the engine starts it spouts oil and PS fluid? and the brake pedal goes to the floor?
    ^This. It could just be a matter of the OPSU leaking - which our cars are notoriously known to do, and a cheaper fix. The clutch may simply need bled, or the master and slave cylinder replaced, while the clutch plate is fine. Ect.

Get another opinion, at least. $7k sounds more like they are trying to rip you off. You could replace the engine, and have enough money left over for fixing the rest, plus some mods.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    ^This. It could just be a matter of the OPSU leaking - which our cars are notoriously known to do, and a cheaper fix. The clutch may simply need bled, or the master and slave cylinder replaced, while the clutch plate is fine. Ect.

Get another opinion, at least. $7k sounds more like they are trying to rip you off. You could replace the engine, and have enough money left over for fixing the rest, plus some mods.
    It's true.

Sell as is and save yourself the headaches. If your asking price is reasonable enough it will sell and you'll be rid of it. If you end up sitting on it a while then maybe persue other options.

I actually like the idea mentioned above about fixing some of the easier things that are less expensive and you feel you can tackle before selling. Just getting it to the point it's safe to test drive is all you need to do really. Brakes sounds like one of them
    Or make it easier and just sell the car to me and I'll rid you of the problems

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Did'nt see any mention of mileage..

If it's high mileage (over 100k) you can forget it ever being worth 10k even if you fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Did'nt see any mention of mileage..

I'd guess alot of miles if the clutch is already shot and hasn't been driven for 8 years. I've had 40+ year old cars sit much longer than that and didn't have a list of issues that big.

But then again, sitting for 8 years and the car is only what,,,,11 years old?? Strange to see so many things wrong with it, or it was driven hard for 3 years and parked....hard to say.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 06-03-2012 at 01:33 PM.

You've Seen The Butcher GoldenFlame's Avatar

2009 Silverado Z71
    2003 Corvette MN6 Black

Hell not even that if he can do it himself. You can get a Master for $120 and an LS6 clutch kit for $395. I'd fix it up and enjoy it. You can fix it for a hell of a lot less than 7k, enjoy the car and then sell it for 7k down the road if need be.

Black
    2000 Camaro Z28 (sold)

I was quoted for a rack and pinion for $1200 at the local GM dealership and the rack and pinion wasn't even going to be a new one.....We also need to know the miles of the vehicle to determine the value of the car. It is a convertible so that is a plus for value as well as being a 6 speed. I could have sold you my clutch and flywheel, but I sold my car so they went with the car.

Yikes, that's pricey for something that isn't new. You can send your original out for a rebuild, (I'll have to check the name of the place as it escapes me now) and it's much cheaper, and modified to work better than original. They are easy to take in and out yourself.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

I agree with Too Fast. I feel 3 grand should fix everything. Depending on the condition and the mileage you should make out very well after the repairs.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Red
    2001 Camaro SS SLP Cvrtbl

Hi guys,

Just wanted to swing by and give anybody who's interested an update.

We ended up taking the car to a second (very highly rated) mechanic who gave us a MUCH better estimate. We've had the work done and my fiancee has been driving it since we got it back a couple of days ago. It's freaking awesome!

The guys that did the work for us charged us about $2800 to fix all the leakiness and replace the clutch as well as pop some new plugs/wires in there and give it a general tune up and lube. We feel like they did quite a bit of work for not a lot of money, and we are thrilled with the job they did.

For those who were wondering, the car is sitting right at 100k miles. At this point, we're not really sure if we're going to sell it or not. Kind of nice having a such a vicious monster in the garage.

Cheers, all! Thanks for the advice!

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

Way better then $7k!! Glad your leaning towards keeping it, now that its all better with proper maintenance it should give you a heck of a lot more miles of enjoyment!

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Nice to get another opinion, eh? Now, put the top down and enjoy!

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by BigIrishHooligan View Post
    Hi guys,

Just wanted to swing by and give anybody who's interested an update.

We ended up taking the car to a second (very highly rated) mechanic who gave us a MUCH better estimate. We've had the work done and my fiancee has been driving it since we got it back a couple of days ago. It's freaking awesome!

The guys that did the work for us charged us about $2800 to fix all the leakiness and replace the clutch as well as pop some new plugs/wires in there and give it a general tune up and lube. We feel like they did quite a bit of work for not a lot of money, and we are thrilled with the job they did.

For those who were wondering, the car is sitting right at 100k miles. At this point, we're not really sure if we're going to sell it or not. Kind of nice having a such a vicious monster in the garage.

Cheers, all! Thanks for the advice!
    There are folks here with over 200k on their clock and still going strong.

150k is no sweat on these so enjoy!

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

227k, still DD her 100+ miles a day

Sent using my telèfono

Thread Information