Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Blue
    1968 Chevrolet Camaro

Help needed 1968 Camaro

Hey all, I'm from Melbourne Australia I just purchased a 1968 Camaro Coupe and I'm trying to ascertain its authenticity if any.

It has SS badges on the front grille and the fuel filler cap, 350 badges on the front fenders, it may have been red originally but copped a respray in blue metallic and has white rally stripes with the big induction hood, 350 SB Chev, 2 spd powerglide, Mallory Ignition, Edelbrock performer manifold, sports steering wheel similar to most of the others on the forums and Headman Hedders extractors.

The VIN no is 124378N425911 and I've been able to work out that it was a genuine V8 coupe, built in Ohio in 1968 but I was really hoping someone might be able to assist with any other info.

It drives really well and although has given me a couple of headaches during my first weekend of ownership....

I LOVE IT!!!!!

Last edited by GRANGE; 03-13-2011 at 04:16 AM. Reason: extra info

1968 Firebird 400

there's a website you can use, i did it for my 68 firebird 400. i cant remember the website right now but it cost around 15$ if i remember correctly. I had thought I bought a 350 car and ended up having the original 400 engine and 400 car. hood was swapped and paint was unrecognizable tho. good luck

Blue
    1968 Chevrolet Camaro

thanks,

if you recall the site please post or pm me the details....

Ray Charles blue

Very cool!

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Try this site. I'm a member. It's primarily 1st gens. Doesn't cost anything to sign up and all areas are free to view but they do offer several levels of premimum membership. Something like 48,xxx members. Post the info on your trim tag (located on the firewall beside the brake MC on a LH drive car) in the Tag team area.

http://www.camaros.net/forums/index.php

This site is dedicated to nothing but 67, 68 and 69 Camaros. Everything you'll need to decode anything you have is contained on this site.

http://www.camaros.org/index.shtml

FYI: The guys that own that site frequent the 1st site I posted also.

This is the site of the 2nd site I posted that is a forum type environment dedicated exclusively to originality of the cars with questions pertaining to them:

http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php

And, regarding your 68: Unless you have provenance (numbers matching drivetrain , POP or dealership sales info) there is no way to tell what it is other than V8 or I6, LA or Norwood build, build week/month and interior/exterior color combo.

Sorry, but 68's are the easiest to clone because of this.

Not trying to rain on your parade and I hope you have a blast with your 68 but the vast majority of cars out there these days are clones. Sad but true. It doesn't diminish the fun quotient but it may devalue the vehicle if you paid genie price for a clone. Even
    Last edited by 67CamaroRSSS; 03-13-2011 at 08:50 PM.
    67 Camaro: K-K + 797-z (look it up), 454/Th400/4.10 12-bolt = 6mpg, PS/PDB/PW tilt, tach, gauges...

2005 Corvette LS2/M6 Magnetic Red Metallic (What else would it be?) w/ Cashmere interior

2002 Z28: NBM/Tan, MTI smooth lid, smooth bellows, !AIR, !cats, 1-3/4" QTP SS LT's, 2-1/2" TD's with X-pipe, MagnaFlows dumped at axle, custom welded SFC's, MidWest Chassis body mount adjustable T/A, 3400 stall, 3.23 gears (was 2.73). Tuned: 343rwhp/357rwt (before TD's). Best: 12.559 @ 108+, 1.73 60' @ 3500' DA w/MT ET Street DR's.

Carbon footprint? CLOWN SHOE!

Blue
    1968 Chevrolet Camaro

Thanks guys...

Knew I could count on you

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

Glad to help!

Hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine.

FWIW, I've owned 6 67's, 2 68's, 2 69's, an 89 RS, a 96 Z28 vert and the current 98 and 2002 in the last 36 years. As you can see I kept the most highly optioned 67 I owned. 1 of 4,957 67 Camaro's made with power windows. AAMOF, PowerWindows is my name on Team Camaro.

Blue
    1968 Chevrolet Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    Glad to help!

Hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine.

FWIW, I've owned 6 67's, 2 68's, 2 69's, an 89 RS, a 96 Z28 vert and the current 98 and 2002 in the last 36 years. As you can see I kept the most highly optioned 67 I owned. 1 of 4,957 67 Camaro's made with power windows. AAMOF, PowerWindows is my name on Team Camaro.
    Show Off

Blue
    1968 Chevrolet Camaro

quite hard to decipher the info on http://www.camaros.org/geninfo.shtml#MyCarHistory

but I may actually have a real SS 350 L48

I'll keep working until someone more clued up can work it out for me!!!

Blue
    1968 Chevrolet Camaro

Update.....

This is exactly how ther info is displayed on the cowl tag!!

..................... BODY BY FISHER
    04D
    ST 68-12437........................NOR 126058 BODY
    TR 712............................................02 PAINT

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

so origional color was corvette bronze....built 4th week of april....thats all i could decipher...

this may help..

http://www.pro-touring.com/archive/i...p/t-30295.html

Quote Originally Posted by GRANGE View Post
    quite hard to decipher the info on http://www.camaros.org/geninfo.shtml#MyCarHistory

Does it have a 12 bolt rear?

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

Quote Originally Posted by GRANGE View Post

This is the page you need. It also has a click thru area to go to the drivetrain decoding area:

http://www.camaros.org/numbers.shtml#67Codes

The Kurt S on Team Camaro is the same Kurt Sonen that authored the section I posted. He and Rich (along with a couple of others I believe) own the CRG site. You're in good hands now with Kurt asking questions.

Use the "Drivetrain decoding" area to help with the location of stampings on the engine, trans and rear to determine authenticity of the parts on your car.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Does it have a 12 bolt rear?
    Larry, Kurt S on TC asked the same thing. We'll know soon enough if he has a real 68 SS 350 Camaro.

Larry, Kurt S on TC asked the same thing. We'll know soon enough if he has a real 68 SS 350 Camaro.
    I figured as much, if it hasn't been removed like so many others, it's a solidified way of knowing and starts towards the right direction.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

I figured as much, if it hasn't been removed like so many others, it's a solidified way of knowing and starts towards the right direction.
    FWIW, it works both ways. My 67 has a genie 67 12 bolt: mono leaf perches, traction bar attachment welded to the axle and all. It's not original to this car though. I picked it up in a self service wrecking yard some 30 years ago out of a wrecked 67.

FWIW, it works both ways. My 67 has a genie 67 12 bolt: mono leaf perches, traction bar attachment welded to the axle and all. It's not original to this car though. I picked it up in a self service wrecking yard some 30 years ago out of a wrecked 67.
    Yep, those finds were somewhat plentifull 30 years ago, good score.
    But much harder to do in reverse order nowadays unless you go through the effort and expense to buy a new housing from Strange. They are all made now. Easy to tell them apart from an original though.

Otherwise the problem with sticking a genie 67, 68. or 69 12 bolt in these cars now is the fact that they are so scarce to find. Even a solid used housing brings $600-$1,000. Not many people are willing to go to that trouble to clone an SS 350. I have 3 of those 12 bolts laying here as spares I've collected over the years.

That's why I figured,,,,if it's in there, I'd start to think it's probably a good possibility you are looking at a real SS. Very easy to grab the numbers off the pass side axle tube and check if it's original to the car.

Another solid clue that no one seems to change on clones correctly,,,,is to look for a 3/8's fuel line with no return. All the SS's were 4 barrels, hence the larger factory fuel line.
    If you see 5/16 fuel line, it was a 2 barrel car.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

Yep, those finds were somewhat plentifull 30 years ago, good score.
    But much harder to do in reverse order nowadays unless you go through the effort and expense to buy a new housing from Strange. They are all made now. Easy to tell them apart from an original though.

Otherwise the problem with sticking a genie 67, 68. or 69 12 bolt in these cars now is the fact that they are so scarce to find. Even a solid used housing brings $600-$1,000. Not many people are willing to go to that trouble to clone an SS 350. I have 3 of those 12 bolts laying here as spares I've collected over the years.

That's why I figured,,,,if it's in there, I'd start to think it's probably a good possibility you are looking at a real SS. Very easy to grab the numbers off the pass side axle tube and check if it's original to the car.

Another solid clue that no one seems to change on clones correctly,,,,is to look for a 3/8's fuel line with no return. All the SS's were 4 barrels, hence the larger factory fuel line.
    If you see 5/16 fuel line, it was a 2 barrel car.
    SSSSHHHHHHH! You're giving away my secrets...

SSSSHHHHHHH! You're giving away my secrets...
    Okay I'll quit. The fuel line is a tricky one that most people don't change. I can't tell you how many SS nova's and camaro's I've seen that had little 5/16 fuel line

I guess I better not get into core supports, brakes, or cross members

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

Okay I'll quit. The fuel line is a tricky one that most people don't change. I can't tell you how many SS nova's and camaro's I've seen that had little 5/16 fuel line

I guess I better not get into core supports, brakes, or cross members
    Or radiator's concerning BB cars... Believe it or not they borrowed the radiator and heater core used in the 400 applications of the Firebird.

And 67 and 68 didn't have a requirement for disk brakes for the SS (BB or SB - it was an option for all cars). 69 was the 1st year for mandatory disk brakes with the SS package.

The 4-speed cars used the same cross member as the PG cars. Only TH400 was different.

Yeah, I know a few things about these cars, like the BB cars having an engine and tranny offset to the right...

Thread Information