Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Red
    98 SS Camaro

Help me decide!!

There is 2 things that i really want to do to my car, of those 2 is change over to a carburator set up and put in a cam. The thing is though that im not rich and dont poop out money so i have to do one at a time... Which would you reccomend to do first and what exactly would i need for each of those?

Red
    98 SS Camaro

and if i get the cam i want to go with the biggest possible one

Awaiting Activation
    well the biggest cam is not always the best. Most want something that makes power throughout the rpm range NOT just high peak #s at the top.

For a cam you will need

- cam
    - springs that match to the lift of the cam
    - pushrods

recommended:
    - oil pump
    - timing chain

I think thats about it. You will need a custom tune for the cam. What are your current mods - because without the proper supporting mods a cam isn't going to be at its full potential.

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

why do you want the carb out of curiosity????

Red
    98 SS Camaro

i have only had my car for about 4 months, and my current mod's are just the headers and ory. By biggest cam i mean i want the one with the roughest idle. And honestly im not to sure why i want to change over to carburator, from what i was told it was a lot easier and cheaper to get power out of a carburated and from what i see at the trac all the time, thats what most people do. But if i change to carburator ill have to change the intake and stuff i think.

Navy
    2000 Z28 M6

changing to a carburated setup would cost you money and time and then leave you with less power. The LS1 is an amazing engine, install the cam you want then go to a reputable tuning shop and get a tune. Tuning will be a little pricey but WELL worth it. If you want a monster cam I would reccomend a futral F13 or a T Rex. Don't forget to upgrade those springs while you're at it and a HO oil pump is a very good investment.

Red
    98 SS Camaro

to i really need to get a tune, because from what ive been told it is kind of a waste of money until you get all the mods done on your car because youll just have to keep tuning it everytime. As far as the cam goes would have to change the rockers and lifters too. And could you explain to me why the oil pump would be a good investment.

Pewter
    2000 z28

big and rough idle really are two seperate things. you could get a .600+ lift cam on a 114 lsa or around there and it wouldnt be too choppy even though its a huge cam. 110-112 lobe seperation angle is a pretty rough idle.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

i like this guy already, and yes, SGS, i will play nice...

first off, WE cannot help decide anything for you. merely we can offer suggestions for you to consider what it is you would like to do with/to your car...

current mods: headers/ory...that's a start. now, how about adding a lid, ls6 intake, and a catback system for even more power and better sound...

what is your ultimate goal concerning your car? daily driver (DD), street/strip or a strip car (trailer queen)...?

if i were you i would seriously skip over the CARB'ed idea completely. you say you are limited by funds and you would litterally be doing that by going with that setup (hence why i suggested the Ls6 intake upgrade). along with that, you said you have no good reason to go CARB, so forget it ever crossed your mind. also, do all boltons before doing a cam swap, so that you can truely see the maximum potientall of your car...

also, the mentality of the biggest cam, cause that's what you want will leave you disappointed at best...

what you do want: a cam that has a low LSA (110-112) that gives you the great loping sound at idle. there are literally hundreds of choices out there to give you what you want. do not go with the T-Rex cam. just because you have big lift, that does not mean you will get the lope you so desire. here is a link to a proven cam that yeilds great numbers and puts you on a low (112 lsa) for the lope you want (you can order it with a 112lsa)...

http://texas-speed.com/shop/item.asp...d=168&catid=44

now, with a cam swap you need to do EVERYTHING 99BlueZ said, including the oil pump and timing chain (you will thank us laster for suggesting this). you want the oil pump because it flows more oil (psi) at higher RPM to keep everything lubricated so that there is no roller, cam bearing, or other internal failure, that happens as the result of poor oil flow...

as for a tune, they are very important. most often if you pay for a tune ($300-$500), you can take it back for retunes for a set price (around $50). you want to tune your car: 1) so it is drivable, 2) so you get the most out of the mods you have done, 3) cause dyno videos kick ass to post, 4) people like seeing dyno numbers for the list of mods done to a car...

you are off to a good start, however, YOU need to decide your goals with your car. don't get caught up in peak numbers, and you can't compare your car+mods to other cars and their mods, as each is different. however, it helps to give you a ballpark of where you could be sitting...
    2018 CTS-V: °°668rwhp/658rwtq°°
    2013 ZL1: °°590rwhp/576rwtq°°
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post
    i like this guy already, and yes, SGS, i will play nice...

first off, WE cannot help decide anything for you. merely we can offer suggestions for you to consider what it is you would like to do with/to your car...

current mods: headers/ory...that's a start. now, how about adding a lid, ls6 intake, and a catback system for even more power and better sound...

what is your ultimate goal concerning your car? daily driver (DD), street/strip or a strip car (trailer queen)...?

if i were you i would seriously skip over the CARB'ed idea completely. you say you are limited by funds and you would litterally be doing that by going with that setup (hence why i suggested the Ls6 intake upgrade). along with that, you said you have no good reason to go CARB, so forget it ever crossed your mind. also, do all boltons before doing a cam swap, so that you can truely see the maximum potientall of your car...

also, the mentality of the biggest cam, cause that's what you want will leave you disappointed at best...

what you do want: a cam that has a low LSA (110-112) that gives you the great loping sound at idle. there are literally hundreds of choices out there to give you what you want. do not go with the T-Rex cam. just because you have big lift, that does not mean you will get the lope you so desire. here is a link to a proven cam that yeilds great numbers and puts you on a low (112 lsa) for the lope you want (you can order it with a 112lsa)...

http://texas-speed.com/shop/item.asp...d=168&catid=44

now, with a cam swap you need to do EVERYTHING 99BlueZ said, including the oil pump and timing chain (you will thank us laster for suggesting this). you want the oil pump because it flows more oil (psi) at higher RPM to keep everything lubricated so that there is no roller, cam bearing, or other internal failure, that happens as the result of poor oil flow...

as for a tune, they are very important. most often if you pay for a tune ($300-$500), you can take it back for retunes for a set price (around $50). you want to tune your car: 1) so it is drivable, 2) so you get the most out of the mods you have done, 3) cause dyno videos kick ass to post, 4) people like seeing dyno numbers for the list of mods done to a car...

you are off to a good start, however, YOU need to decide your goals with your car. don't get caught up in peak numbers, and you can't compare your car+mods to other cars and their mods, as each is different. however, it helps to give you a ballpark of where you could be sitting...
    yes yes yes ^^^^. ha ha, playing nice!!

and if i may be bluntly honest, peak power cams will get their asses raped by a car that has torque through out the power band, especially if that car has the heads and gears to match. dont get me wrong, peak power cams are cool, but they arent exactly practical for street/strip application IMO. like sswt said so very nicely, you want something practical for the area in which the you drive. so you want power where youre mostly driving at in rpms. a torquer v2 car would hand a ms4 car its ass for a good long while before the ms4 would start to make power. would you want to bog out of the hole and have to slowly rev to 5k and then start making power? you will be behind im afraid. and im not bashing the hugeness of the ms4, but i am of the mindset that you need the power where you drive the car. i cant use a 5k-7k cam, because there is alot more that goes into making an ls1 rev to that number safely. but in the end, its your car. the ms4 can be a beast if it is matched with the right heads and internals to handle its power up top. but dont believe that the biggest cam is always gonna yield the faster times. it just aint true....

Red
    98 SS Camaro

you guys really help out a lot. MY ultamite goal is to achieve a track car. With the cam i want the most possible bottom end power along with a very rough idle. I really do want to go with the cam next before small things like the air lid and finishing of the exhaust.

Red
    98 SS Camaro

what timing chain would i have to get and what is a good oil pump

Red
    98 SS Camaro

would the Texas Speed Torquer v.2 Camshaft be the best choice for what i want?

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

shit if your running a a4..get a stall..can take off .5 of your 1/4 time

Red
    98 SS Camaro

nope, i have a m6 98 ss

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Z28_SS View Post
    nope, i have a m6 98 ss
    okey dokie. dont switch to carb..thats just some old school bs.

Pewter
    2000 z28

you guys really help out a lot. MY ultamite goal is to achieve a track car. With the cam i want the most possible bottom end power along with a very rough idle. I really do want to go with the cam next before small things like the air lid and finishing of the exhaust.
    the airlid IS really a beneficial thing, so this time believe all of us poor suds when we tell ya. believe me, repping SLP is the furthest thing from my mind.

what timing chain would i have to get and what is a good oil pump
    an LS2 timing chain is all you need. you can get it through texas speed. also a new oil pump would be very good for the bigger cam.

would the Texas Speed Torquer v.2 Camshaft be the best choice for what i want?
    YES. thats the exact cam im getting on a 112 lsa. its a bad one!!! makes ALOT of power from 1800 all the way up to redline. there is also the Torquer v.3 which i believe just has alittle higher lift, maybe longer duration???? something to think about too, youre going to need to change the springs atleast, so your best bet is to buy the package from Texas Speed which includes your choice of cam plus springs, retainers, the whole kit and kaboodle.

seriously though, the exhaust should be the absolute next thing to get the power you want. at the very least a set of headers, you can figure out the rest of the exhaust later. with the cam and stock mani's you will choke the poor motor out man. just something to think about.....

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

you would need to upgrade to the Ls2 timing chain, and to an Ls6 oiol pump. Also, to maximize the power of whichever cam you choose to go with, you need mods like cat-back, lid, Ls6 intake all done before the cam. without these mods you are really choking the potiental of your cam in terms of power. you could look at the Torquer v3 that might offer an LSA of either 110-112 but i do not know the cam specs for it...

look at it this way, if a hott chick said she wanted you in her, but you blew your load while still in your pants (cam before other mods), how would you feel?

now, if you can give her a little foreplay to really get her going (getting the lid, Ls6 intake cat-back installed before the cam) toss it in her and then blow your load, how much more enjoyable is the experience?

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

look at it this way, if a hott chick said she wanted you in her, but you blew your load while still in your pants (cam before other mods), how would you feel?

now, if you can give her a little foreplay to really get her going (getting the lid, Ls6 intake cat-back installed before the cam) toss it in her and then blow your load, how much more enjoyable is the experience? [/QUOTE]

Wow what a way to put it. Very true! I like to blow the load inside her myself. And YES, do not put a carb on the LS1.

Red
    98 SS Camaro

I love your analogy

Well i do have the lt headers from pacesetter along with the ory. i just have the stock muffler.

I feel like such a newbie sometimes but what is lsa.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information