Arctic White
    '00 Camaro M6 SS #3553

Headers/Dual Exhaust

I plan on getting both in the not-too-distant future, so I'd like to hear some recommendations. I'm really curious about the true dual exhaust, because I don't know of any manufacturers for the 93-02 Camaros and I'd absolutely love to have a super-beefy sound to rival those 'Stangs.

silver
    89 BII, 02 SS

Texas speed makes a true dual system.

White
    1999 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Doom View Post
    +1 here.... they make great stuff...

I like the flp lt's, and the dynatech's....third would be pacesetter (sp)

blue
    2002 WS6

if you are keeping the car go with stainless steel. you'll be wasting your money if you buy anything different.

in doubt tach it out!!

BADASSZ28
    buy what you can afford, stainless will last longer but you will not need to replace coated headers for a very long time so that is why i bought coated pacesetters lt, they are nice and will be on the car when it is sold many years from now!!!! by the way thanks for the clears

Quote Originally Posted by Doom View Post
    But there has to be a lot of fabrication to get them to fit right. The reference to that statement is on this forum. Lot of people have to fuck with it to get rid of rattles and to get it to hang right.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

i have the bassani tru-duals on both cars. runs all the way out the back

wife's car has the bassani headers and metallicats

mine has dynatech headers
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

in doubt tach it out!!

BADASSZ28
    my pacesetters bolt right up and dont leak,rub or anything

Arctic White
    '00 Camaro M6 SS #3553

I'll probably end up going with the SLP headers and Bassani exhaust. I've heard great things about both.

Where do I find the Bassani exhaust, though? They don't have it advertised on their website and I can't find anything on eBay.

Awaiting Activation
    Quote Originally Posted by GungHoPopsicle View Post
    I'll probably end up going with the SLP headers and Bassani exhaust. I've heard great things about both.

Where do I find the Bassani exhaust, though? They don't have it advertised on their website and I can't find anything on eBay.
    i wouldn't go with the SLP headers. They have the worst ground clearance out of any brand. For the same price get kooks, qtp, dynatech, or american racing. All about the same price, stainless, and better clearance than the SLP ones.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

+1 for QTP stainless. Absolutly no fitment or ground clearance issues with the set on my car.

Arctic White
    '00 Camaro M6 SS #3553

Alright, I'll take that into consideration about the SLP headers.

But what about the Bassani exhaust? Anybody know where I can find it?

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

www.vincihighperformance.com it's where i got both of mine.

Arctic White
    '00 Camaro M6 SS #3553

The picture of the Bassani exhaust on Vinci's site looks like a one-muffler system. I thought true-dual meant two mufflers, hence the name?

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

These cars (4th gen F-bodies) were never meant to have a "True Dual" exhaust system. There are no provisions under the car for the location of mufflers other than in the transverse location. There isn't even a place to put a pipe on the drivers side over the axle.

On the other hand there are a few ways around this:

1- Run dual exhaust and dump it in front of the axle;

2 - Run 2 pipes over the right side of the axle;

3 - Run dual exhaust under the axle out to the back.

In either case you will have to run either a "bullet" or some other small case type muffler (i.e., 5" x 8" Magnaflow). I'm not sure about the bullet, but I know for sure that with any other muffler you will have to "massage" the underbody of the car in the location of the rear seats for ground clearance (think sledge hammer).

ArtistFormerlyKnownAsMac Silver Streak's Avatar

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

Quote Originally Posted by AKIRA View Post
    But there has to be a lot of fabrication to get them to fit right. The reference to that statement is on this forum. Lot of people have to fuck with it to get rid of rattles and to get it to hang right.
    I didn't have to fab a thing... bolted right up.. only thing I had to do was drill 2 small holes in the back of the rear seats to hang the mufflers... once under there.. headers and exhaust only took about 2 hours on stands. It was getting the old stuff off that was the pain.. lol.
    -Geno
    1983 Black WS6 "WindCharger"
    1987 Black WS6 "WS87"
    2002 Black WS6 "Silver Streak"
    Sold the other four f-bodies

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

The picture of the Bassani exhaust on Vinci's site looks like a one-muffler system. I thought true-dual meant two mufflers, hence the name?

true duals came about in the mid 80s when GM went to a single exhaust to the muffler. then it split out into two pipes to 'simulate' the dual look. hell. my 79 z28 had a dual y system. had a y-pipe, then y'ed back out into two mufflers and over the axle. so, with your definition, would my 79 z28 be true duals?? it has two mufflers.

a honest to goodness 'true' dual system would have it where neither side ever meets up. single pipe from each side into their own muffler, then out to wherever. or even no muffler. what would a two pipe system be called if it didn't have any mufflers??
    with the intervention of a x or h-pipe, the system joins together and mixes. with this, you lose the 'true' dual system.

a dual system is just two pipes running from the front to the back. the bassani muffler is a dual in/out design. still, two pipes from front to back with a x-pipe. whether you run none, one, two, or four mufflers, it's still considered a tru-dual system, with todays definition.
    Last edited by mrr23; 04-23-2007 at 01:44 PM.

Arctic White
    '00 Camaro M6 SS #3553

Quote Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
    true duals came about in the mid 80s when GM went to a single exhaust to the muffler. then it split out into two pipes to 'simulate' the dual look. hell. my 79 z28 had a dual y system. had a y-pipe, then y'ed back out into two mufflers and over the axle. so, with your definition, would my 79 z28 be true duals?? it has two mufflers.

a honest to goodness 'true' dual system would have it where neither side ever meets up. single pipe from each side into their own muffler, then out to wherever. or even no muffler. what would a two pipe system be called if it didn't have any mufflers??
    with the intervention of a x or h-pipe, the system joins together and mixes. with this, you lose the 'true' dual system.

a dual system is just two pipes running from the front to the back. the bassani muffler is a dual in/out design. still, two pipes from front to back with a x-pipe. whether you run none, one, two, or four mufflers, it's still considered a tru-dual system, with todays definition.
    I assumed it was a given that when I said two mufflers I meant they'd be running parallel, connected to their own individual conduits as opposed to meeting to a single muffler.

Like you, I don't consider it to be an actual "true dual system" because of the x or h-pipes, so I guess I'm not too terribly interested. Seems difficult because of the molding of the underside, anyway, so I just won't worry about it.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS #2070

JetHot

What does everyone think about the JetHot headers? They come coated with their heat reduction coating and are not WAY over priced...

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

No SLP headers!!!

Thread Information