mystic teal metallic
    1998 Z/28

GOT IT!!! 1 of 1 79U-WU8

About a month ago I found out there was 1 Mystic SS built,(A color not available on SS, per 98 sales brochure)AND I'ts a RAGTOP,no trans type given in the breakdown. So I put in a post that whoever has it that I'm a buyer, 2 weeks later I got an e-mail saying " I have your MYSTIC SS".
    I flew out, payed way too much, because it cost me about another 1800 in expenses to get it home but,
    The car is Absolutely Stunning,Not 1 ding,paint chip,scratch, Nothing, The Black convert top is like brand new,The guy i got it off owned it twice + took great care of it. (Thanks Justin)
    I havn't talked to SLP yet but I was told someone else did + they said it wasn't in there records.But it had all the right tags + options,+ an extremely early build date (May of 97)(later found out it was may 15) The owner seemed very straight forward so i took a chance it was real + went + got it 697mi away.I Called Chevy Yesterday + It turns out it was a pre production
    car,(pilot car) It's the 36th car off the line, vin is 100036 not the 36th ss built,I believe this is going to predate the #1 SS that Slp has listed,(Sorry #1), I don't know if thats the 36th chevy or the 36th camaro,(I'm looking for help to research + document this car so anybody with pilot car knowledge I would love to hear from you)Also The ORIGINAL OWNER please call me if you read this 978-342-4058 or e-mail me @
    cleganite@web tv.net.The 1st owner according to car fax was a dealership in Alabama. Or anybody with any info on this car. I would also love to hear from anyone with cars around the same vin # ,especially lower #'s to see if this is the 1st LS1 SS convertible built,or even the 1st SS. The car is a 6 speed + has a cople sall mods but before i remove them i want to know that it wasn't dealer installed or chevy experimental stuff, because thats what most piot cars were for, I'm thinking this one might have been a test mule for the Mystic color, to see how it would look?
    Or a Corporate Office Special Order for A Chevy Bigwig? Anyinfo greatly appreciated. Thanks

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

I dont have any info for ya, but the car sounds awesome!

SOM
    01 Camaro SS

mystic teal metallic
    1998 Z/28

Pics might be tough right now.
    I dont have a digital cam or computer to send them with.I've sent pics in the past with my video cam I just freeze framed them + sent them, but thats messed up too.
    The car also has 700 miles ofdirt + duston it which i have to clean, maybe tomorrow if nice out,+ see if i can borrow a cam then post on someone elses .
    But she is a beaut. Sometimes you get a description, then get there + are disapointed, not this one,The paint is Imaculate,Top also,Interior ditto, except for the front floor mats a little worn,even the keys + the keyless entry thingies look brand new.

white
    99 z28/98 c5 vert

Great find, I saw your post saying you were a buyer.. I had a early 94 Mustang GT vert serial #100038 in yellow and I was told it was a press fleet car from the original owner. It had a California DSO and some really early markings in the engine compartment, I'm pretty sure it was the car that most of the mags tested when it was new. I sold it to a friend and he said he'd give me 1st shot if he sold it. Kinda neat having an early car.... Good luck with the mystic SS hope it's a keeper.....

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Congrats man, take some pics and post them as soon as you can
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

mystic teal metallic
    1998 Z/28

Thanks, years ago i had a 70 dodge coronet R/T convert
    440-Six Pack 4 speed car vin ended in 100004 the option tag said it was orig suposed to be b5 blue but was red when i got it + i could see white in the trunk,
    It turned out when the dealership got it from the orig ownr who (was a chrysler exec) It had the orig paint.
    The bigwig explained that the car was used for the picture car for the dodge parts books which were in black + white, + white took the best pics,(explaining why the car was never painted the b5 blue,)+ then went on to be on the dodge show circuit, showing off the new
    cars for 70.It's now in one of the biggest collections in the country + i'm told will never be sold.If you pick up a 1970 dodge parts book thats the car in there. Its also the centerfold in a big Muscle Car hard cover book out there, Thats one i wish i didn't let get away.As a footnote The orig paint was scuffed +painted over because the owner of the dealerships wife didn't like white, then she didn't even want the car because it was a 4 spd, So this world class collectible (which also was the 1st 70 coronet vert built + the 1st reg production 6-pack car built,) ( 69 had some special order cars) was ruined on a whim,that car today with orig paint would probably be worth probably another $50,000 extra.
    Thats why I suggest to people with the rarer vehicles to consider carefully before they modify.A 70 hemi cuda convert just got $2.2 milion at Barret Jackson Auction
    The Couple mods on mine are definetly coming off,on a one off car,somebody actually stuck k+n stickers all over the air lid, like that 1/4 hp or so gained by the filter really matters to anyone looking under hood, Like they are gonna say, Whoa!!! No way, does this Really have A K+N in it? On my z it would bug me + i would get rid of it, but on a car like this it boggles the mind.

Bright Rally Red
    1996 Camaro SS

wow im also very interested to see how this turns out. im glad to hear some people are still enthusiasts and not just speed demons. the heratige has to be preserved.

white
    99 z28/98 c5 vert

Yeah, I feel the same way about modifying a rare vehicle . My mustang did have wheels and exhaust but other than that it was stock . I believe it still has under 50K on the odo. When I bought my vette in 2000 I passed on a 98pace car with less than 2k on it. It was also one of the official track cars and I knew I was going to heavily modify my vette and I didn't want to mess up a low milage original with an intessting background. I am more intrigued by your cars low vin and pilot car status than the fact that it is the only one that color. That car should probably not even exist, but some exec wanted it so it was made.....Does the car have a lot of slp options such as chrome wheels, center mount exhaust etc....P.S. I think I have seen a write up in Mopar Collector Guide on that coronet?????

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

That's one of the reasons why I sold my 2002 WS6 being last year of production I couldn't tear it apart with mods without feeling bad. That's one good find you got there! Congrats to you!!!

mystic teal metallic
    1998 Z/28

Quote Originally Posted by slammedwhitec5vert View Post
    Yeah, I feel the same way about modifying a rare vehicle . My mustang did have wheels and exhaust but other than that it was stock . I believe it still has under 50K on the odo. When I bought my vette in 2000 I passed on a 98pace car with less than 2k on it. It was also one of the official track cars and I knew I was going to heavily modify my vette and I didn't want to mess up a low milage original with an intessting background. I am more intrigued by your cars low vin and pilot car status than the fact that it is the only one that color. That car should probably not even exist, but some exec wanted it so it was made.....Does the car have a lot of slp options such as chrome wheels, center mount exhaust etc....P.S. I think I have seen a write up in Mopar Collector Guide on that coronet?????
    For me the 1 off color was the big thing, for a few diff reasons, Just knowing that this color was actually "Not Available" on this car(Not just the convertble but on Any SS, "There is actually no other SS in existance with this color" but some how just ONE slipped thru the cracks, to me is monumental. If the reason for this cars existance is that it was a guinea pig for the color, then it probably was not even suposed to be released to the public,A lot of pilot cars were just destroyed after being built for one reason or another. On that note there are a couple of interesting things that the guy from chevy read off to me about my car,i'm not sure yet what they mean but may mean it was not to go out to the public, One is:Platform Containment Vehicle. The other is: Retail Amenity Delete, Containment could mean doesnt get released to public. + Retail Amenity Delete,could mean no warranty + or other things because it was not up for retail sale.I have the car now the fun part is going to be the How's + why's.
    The other part is,it was not just an unavailable color, but a pretty scarce one even on other camaro's I'd have to look again but on z's i think something like 3%, I think 474.And it was a specialty color,changes from green in bright sun to blue green in good light to purple in shade + at times it is all three at once.Very unique in itself.
    But it was also my favorite, I'm not talking it up because its the color i happen to have.I sought this color out. In 98 I came out of the gym, + parked next to me was A new style z in you guessed it, mystic, I knew some day after they were a few years old i would own one, (Too cheap to buy new) And there was no Question it was going to be Mystic. That day when I walked out + saw it, I heard myself say Whoah!! before my brain even registered me saying it. when I bought the z a few months ago I wasn't even in the market for one, but i saw it advertised for $7000 so i called + he said it was teal, I had to go look, I went +looked at a flawless
    01 red the same day,which was nice but more money,+ it just didn't grab me, so imet the guy with the mystic, at a mcdonalds + as soon as he pulled in the lot with it, I heard that same Involutary Whoah!!! And then realized it was me that had just said it.
    So the fact that its a one off color, And its mystic is phenomenal for me. I wasn't even in the market for the z, now in the course of maybe a month + a half i've got both.But just the way everything fell together + led up to me finding this SS, from seeing tha z in 98 to getting my z to putting the post to find out how many z's were built in mystic and then finding out one mystic ss ragtop was built + posting i was a buyer, then the owner contacting me, it felt like fate calling, I really didn't want to spend the money, be bothered with all the arrangements,the flight, the rental car, rent a car carrier + 16 ft box truck to haul it home,3 days of travel etc.And was on the line about doing it, because i surely wasn't in the market for a second car, but when he told me the vin. that sealed the deal, up to that time,i hadn't heard the vin. It's the total package of this car that
    really sets it apart.
    + the Mystic really fits this car, I,m very curious to find out why they didn't use it.

Ps. It does have the chrome wheels, but I don't think the center exhaust was available until maybe 01.
    I love that option, there is a SOM SS in town wit it a it looks awesome.
    The car is pretty loaded,6 way seats,Dark grey leather leather,Chrome SS wheels,keyless, Alarm,12 disc changer,etc.
    Monday I,m hoping to find out more about the car, through,chevy,SLP, maybe orig dealership etc.see if any documentation available thru them.

white
    99 z28/98 c5 vert

I wasn't downplaying the color, I think it is a beautiful color and rare one at that. I have seen very few camaros that color I think it was more popular on the firebirds. I think you are right that the cme started later. I bet the chrome wheels make that color pop. I was just saying that it was facinating that this pre production vehicle got out to the public and that some bigwig saved it then it was probably wholesaled to the dealer network on accident since none should have been made that way. I know I was at a dealership in the mid 90's pricing a firehawk and they said the mystic color was not availible due to color matching problems.

mystic teal metallic
    1998 Z/28

No I didn't think you were attacking the color,
    You were just saying,you were most interested by the low vin + pilot aspect.
    I just get long winded in my stories and it sounds like i'm being defensive, but i'm not at all.

I was thinking that one possible reason the color wasn't
    available, was exactly what you said they told you on the firehawk, thats good to know, This could be the car they found out on.I'll have to put the two sid by side + see if i can see any diff.

Thanks

mystic teal metallic
    1998 Z/28

Ps,Yes you are right The chrome wheels really do bring this color out because its a somewhat sedate color,+ usually i'm not a big chrome wheelfan.But your right it just works with the MTM.And they are original too.
    The Z also has chrome wheels off of a 2002 Z for the same reason, The previous owner thought they would look good with the teal.
    I have the orig 98 silver wheels off the z + pics of the
    car with them,I'm going to put some tires on them + put them on for a while to see how i like them, I like the chrome look on it but not the 02 10 spokes.
    My Fam is coming up for x-mas with digital cams,i'm going to try to get some pics together of the two together, + maybe some smokeshow pics of the z.

mystic teal metallic
    1998 Z/28

Slammedwhitec5vert I tried to respond to the pm but this web tv is so slow i gave up,i couldn't even look at any threads today it just kind of freezes up, why don't you e-mail me + i can respond easier that way, It does e-mail ok but thats about it. I've really got to get a computer.
    Thanks

Thread Information