White
    1995 Camaro Z28

Getting my first Camaro!!

Ok so I'm getting my first Camaro (im 16) and I had a few questions:

1. Im looking at a '94 z28(Black Convertible) with 85k on it for $3,500, is it a good deal? (im getting a car fax soon, but the owner assured me a clean title)
    2. can anything be done about the headlights? I see lots of aftermarket headlights for the late 90's and 00's but none for the '94!!
    3. I see lots of tail lights on ebay and such, and I was wondering if anyone actually uses them. Because I dont see many on here.
    4. Im looking for a good loud and deep sounding exhaust (Around $200?) My cousin has a pair of Borla's (dual) on this v6 04 stang , and its louder than most gt's and shelbys. A local muffer shop said $200 for new Borla mufflers, good deal?

Thanks for reading this, I know its a lot but I wanna start off good with my first car! Also, after I get it I will be on this site a lot more often, I have seen lots of tips and tricks here!

Ok I'm done thanks!

Black
    1999 Z28 Convert

You can convert your front end to match a 98+ and then there are tons of headlight mods. I like the look of the stock tail lights or the LED ones. And dont buy just mufflers from a shop. Get a legit catback exhaust.

pewter
    2000 ss slp

id suggest black outs and flowmaster kit !!!

3-Time F-Body Offender doozjamann's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 SS Camaro

Flowmaster on an LT1 with a gutted cat sounds badass. You may want to look into the Magnaflow catback it's about $400-450 for the system. But once you throw in labor charges for just a muffler and tips if you decide to change (tips) them you are looking at close to $400 for just muffler.

White
    1995 Camaro Z28

Ok thanks everyone! It helps a lot!

You've Seen The Butcher GoldenFlame's Avatar

2009 Silverado Z71
    2003 Corvette MN6 Black

My buddy's 93 LT1 was Straight Piped from the Catalytic Converter to the Back, with 3 1/2 inch tips.. Sounded Mean as hell, and the shop only charged him around $200

black
    01 SS

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenFlame View Post
    My buddy's 93 LT1 was Straight Piped from the Catalytic Converter to the Back, with 3 1/2 inch tips.. Sounded Mean as hell, and the shop only charged him around $200
    that sounds way to raspy for me.. id rather have a muffler and get and better tone..

pewter and white
    02 and 95 both z28's

the price you are going to pay sounds fair.

if you dont have the money to buy a good cat-back ($450 and up)system just put a cutout on it and call it a day and save your money up for a good exhaust system.
    Last edited by z95lt1; 08-10-2009 at 03:30 PM.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Welcome local. Post up a link to the car for sale in question that will help us help you better. They have plastic lenses that go over the stock lights that match the contour of the nose of the car, with a black one it would make your car alot smoother looking. Secondly our cars have a y-pipe (stock) so if you want a borla muffler you only need one you should post a link of which model it is because the xr-1 comes in alot of different styles. There is also a guy selling a corsa catback but unfortunatley the local website is down. And those altezza rear lights are ricer-just so you know.

White
    1995 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    Welcome local. Post up a link to the car for sale in question that will help us help you better. They have plastic lenses that go over the stock lights that match the contour of the nose of the car, with a black one it would make your car alot smoother looking. Secondly our cars have a y-pipe (stock) so if you want a borla muffler you only need one you should post a link of which model it is because the xr-1 comes in alot of different styles. There is also a guy selling a corsa catback but unfortunatley the local website is down. And those altezza rear lights are ricer-just so you know.
    The Car was on Craigslist and the post expired. But im going to test drive the car some time today. I got the car fax and everything is clean. Thanks for the heads up on the taillights and the lenses, have a link where I can find the lenses? As for the model, for the muffler:

1994 CHEV CAMARO Z28

Body Style: CONVERTIBLE
    Driveline: REAR WHEEL DRIVE Engine: 5.7L V8 MPI OHV 12V

Is any other information need?
    Also where in Bay area are you in? I'm in Fremont, btw

Black
    2001 Camaro ss

..find out if and when last tuneup..those LT1 were expensive to tuneup..distribuitor is behind the water pump..runs off the timing gear via little drive shaft..

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by manarth5103 View Post
    The Car was on Craigslist and the post expired. But im going to test drive the car some time today. I got the car fax and everything is clean. Thanks for the heads up on the taillights and the lenses, have a link where I can find the lenses? As for the model, for the muffler:

1994 CHEV CAMARO Z28

Body Style: CONVERTIBLE
    Driveline: REAR WHEEL DRIVE Engine: 5.7L V8 MPI OHV 12V

Is any other information need?
    Also where in Bay area are you in? I'm in Fremont, btw
    Cool i'm in Livermore, there is a car show in Niles on August 15th just go to niles canyon on google and check the cities info. As for the lenses i'll look, ws6store, lmperformance, and beats the hell out of me (half the fun is looking anyway). With regard to the muffler for the "correct" muffler it would be one single muffler and your not getting that one for 200. Now if you were to get a xr-1 you can put it on the y-pipe or put 2 just before the tips. It just so happens I have some corvette tips off a 08 model

I know little about the lt-1's but check to see if the water pump is leaking, that sometimes causes the optispark to turd out on you, just for giggles check the coolant to make sure it doesn't look like a milkshake=leaking radiator. And the rear end sometimes leaks, if you can see it pooling ready to drip it might be on its way out if you can feel a little bit of grime then that is more normal-10 bolts will set you back about $300 if that is the case.
    Last edited by c5z28; 08-11-2009 at 11:11 PM.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    Pay attention to this guy, he knows his stuff.
    Just a word of warning. I had my first Z28 when I was 17, a highly modified 1978. You might want to keep your exhaust a little quiet as we tend to attract police attention in these cars.
    Experience doesn't slow you down, it just chases you onto the country roads.
    Check in often and you'll find all the info you need.
    Good luck with the car and have fun!

let the F-Bodies roll jimmybling31's Avatar

white
    94 camaro z28

texas speed true duals with x-pipe dumped on mine. sounded badass til my head gasket blew. now with the might as wells I am into a 5000 dollar build

Black
    2001 Camaro ss

...as z/28 said keep the decibles down..it will save you money in the long run..a loud exhaust on a stock engine does not mean more power in fact the opposite is often the result..you can have a low restriction type exhaust and still have a good sound with proper components..getting tickets, and getting known to the local constabulary, will drain your wallet..you can open your headers at the track if you have them that way you play it smart and you may find you enjoy your car even more..another point if you ever come up on a stationary police car and your speeding..a loud exhaust will not get you any breaks...
    Last edited by George141; 08-16-2009 at 05:48 AM.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by Z28_Driver View Post
    Pay attention to this guy, he knows his stuff.
    Just a word of warning. I had my first Z28 when I was 17, a highly modified 1978. You might want to keep your exhaust a little quiet as we tend to attract police attention in these cars.
    Experience doesn't slow you down, it just chases you onto the country roads.
    Check in often and you'll find all the info you need.
    Good luck with the car and have fun!
    new sig

Thread Information