black
    1998 z28 ss

general upgrade questions

ok so i have a 1998 z28 i want to up grade it heres what im thinking k and n cold air intake slp smooth air bellows slp 85 mm maf sensor 85mm bbk throttle bodie, long tube headers but for all this i would need bigger injectors and a high presse fuel pump correct? and i would need to reset my ecu right?

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

skip the bellow (you can get the $&7 equal in the plumbing section at lowe's/Home Depot, etc.), skip the MAF, and the Throttle Body as there is no need for the TB at this time.

do the SLP lid w/K&N, LT's and a cat-back system.

you do not need to upgrade your stock injectors, or get a higher flow rate fuel pump at this time. you also don't need a tune, for those minor mods, but if you want to for peace of mind you could. just means in the future if you do heads, cam, or a larger/better intake and TB at that time, then you would just pay for a retune. make sense?

Red
    2000 Camaro Z28 A4

im pretty sure the 98 ls1 has the ls1 intake so an 85mm throttle body could hurt the performance without an ls6 intake.... i would do what SSwt00SS said intake, LT's, and cat-back....

2000 Trans Am

The bellows will net you no gains. I have heard of them actually cracking lids because they are much stiffer but never experienced this(Talking about the stuff you buy from a hardware store, not the SLP bellows). Dont touch the MAF. I just run a regular paper filter because the oil in the K&N gets on MAF and makes the car unhappy. The stock fuel system is not a problem at this stage of the game.

Depending on how the car runs I wouldnt even tune it if I planned on doing more later and it ran half way decent until then.

On the intake side of things I might look for a LS6 intake, Lid of any kind, and Ported stock throttle body. New Era performance ports stock ones and mine came out really nice.

LT's and whatever exhaust you want and you'll be happy. . .for a little while.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Quote Originally Posted by DDuarte View Post
    ok so i have a 1998 z28 i want to up grade it heres what im thinking k and n cold air intake slp smooth air bellows slp 85 mm maf sensor 85mm bbk throttle bodie, long tube headers but for all this i would need bigger injectors and a high presse fuel pump correct? and i would need to reset my ecu right?
    Unless you "know" folks then LT headers are out of the question. it's the original Smog Nazi state afterall. I know as I'm from LA.

In your case, to be legal, you'll have to go with shorties and a catback for exhaust. An SLP lid (or similar smooth lid - there are many) is legal and works.

Q: Is your car an A4 or M6? Gears are legal and a stall for the A4 will put a smile on your face and is legal as well.

Also, is it a Z28 or an SS? You say both. An SS is a Z28 but a Z28 isn't an SS in all respects.
    67 Camaro: K-K + 797-z (look it up), 454/Th400/4.10 12-bolt = 6mpg, PS/PDB/PW tilt, tach, gauges...

2005 Corvette LS2/M6 Magnetic Red Metallic (What else would it be?) w/ Cashmere interior

2002 Z28: NBM/Tan, MTI smooth lid, smooth bellows, !AIR, !cats, 1-3/4" QTP SS LT's, 2-1/2" TD's with X-pipe, MagnaFlows dumped at axle, custom welded SFC's, MidWest Chassis body mount adjustable T/A, 3400 stall, 3.23 gears (was 2.73). Tuned: 343rwhp/357rwt (before TD's). Best: 12.559 @ 108+, 1.73 60' @ 3500' DA w/MT ET Street DR's.

Carbon footprint? CLOWN SHOE!

Thread Information