black
    1999 ss

Free ram air mod on 99SS?

I'm looking for opinions or advice, Is the free ram air mod a good idea for a stock 99ss? The hood scoop on the ss camaros although functional do not really feed alot of air fresh air into the intake. Is the free ram air mod a good thing to do or will it actually cause what has been referred to as air collision or create more turbulence, thus hindering flow?

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

It does not make that big of a difference. I would leave it alone.

white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

like brandon said, it really doesnt yield any benefeits, if it does it would be at high speeds. and the chance of sucking water or ice in michigan deff not a good idea, my car is a garage queen in so cal, so i removed certain things but i will never know if it made a differerance.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

i did it on my z...granted no ram air hood...and can safely say that there is a noticeable increase in the amount of air that enters the airbox.

Onyx Black
    2002 SLP Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by hozeman View Post
    Is the free ram air mod a good idea for a stock 99ss?
    It's free, so why not...............................?

white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

Quote Originally Posted by fxgs View Post
    It's free, so why not...............................?
    you know what comes with all this air from under the car? well if you drive your car in the rain, thru a puddle it will end up like my buddys car, sucking water and splitting the block.

Onyx Black
    2002 SLP Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by camarojunky74 View Post
    fwell if you drive your car in the rain, thru a puddle it will end up like my buddys car, sucking water and splitting the block.
    A puddle.......are you sure it wasn't a lake?

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

i've driven in downpours where there was water over the road and deep puddles in the ditches and i never had a problem with water in the airbox.

I've done the free ramair to both of my SS camaro's. I've even tested the air crashing theory at the track by taping off each opening seperately at the track and didn't find the air turbulance theory to be true.

My SS ran slightly quicker with the free ram air mod,,,,even with the hood functioning as well. Taping either one off would slow the car just a bit.

So it was a no brainer when I picked up another SS,,,free ramair mod was one of the first things I did to it before I turned my wife loose in it.

As far as water is concerned,,,,never had a problem at all. We have some heavy thunderstorms here that dump up to 4 inches of rain in just a couple hours. One SS is a daily driver for my wife. No issues what so ever.

Keep in mind the free ramair mod is opening the plastic directly under the airlid,,,,that is practically level with the hood line,,,,you would have to drive into a lake before water got up that high

The airflow alone simply does not seem to carry water straight up to the box, even at higher speeds mine has stayed bone dry.

white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

okay puddle might have been exaggerated he tried to drive thru a big ass puddle, their now you are all happy, im going to get pics of the block, you will trip out when you see this car with 12k on the clock and the block is split in down the middle like a 2 dollar hooker.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

it will get your filter dirty alot sooner... eh why not do it, every lil bit helps, do the throttle body bypass as well

Quote Originally Posted by camarojunky74 View Post
    okay puddle might have been exaggerated he tried to drive thru a big ass puddle, their now you are all happy, im going to get pics of the block, you will trip out when you see this car with 12k on the clock and the block is split in down the middle like a 2 dollar hooker.
    LOL,,,driving in water deep enough to reach under the air box would probably flood the motor regardless of whether the free ramair mod was done or not.

Both inlets are right at the hood line,,,,one under the box and the stock opening is right in front of the box. Either one is a threat if water is that high, it will find it's way in unfortunately.

white
    2000 Z28

the ram air mod should be way better than the ram air hood itself. for the fact that the air in the hood makes a whole 360 degree turn before it hits the air lid. that compared to the free ram air mod is a significant difference. air straight in from the ram air mod compared to air making turns losing velocity. both should theoretically cause a bit of turbulence as opposed to one airway but at the same time it depends on if you have a lid vs a volant type. the lid only has that 14x3/4 inch opening for the ram air hood whereas a volant type gets the air from the hood. im not sure about the camaro volant seeing as i havent seen it in person. but the bird volant gets air straight from the bumper with a ram air hood and the camaro ram air gets it a bit above the air box. i would go with both if i had the ram air hood but im going to put my money into the inside of the car before i make decisions on the outside. but until then free ram air for me

white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    LOL,,,driving in water deep enough to reach under the air box would probably flood the motor regardless of whether the free ramair mod was done or not.

Both inlets are right at the hood line,,,,one under the box and the stock opening is right in front of the box. Either one is a threat if water is that high, it will find it's way in unfortunately.
    the puddle he hit was so big it splashed up and went into the intake, if the car was stock, the water would have to go thru all the shielding and then into the intake, doubtfull seeing as we live in so cal, it was a big puddle thats all.

Thread Information