Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

black
    1999 ss m6

few questions for the new gearhead

whats up guys! just sold my old mustang 5.0 and getting an ls1 m6, probably this weekend

searched around and have a few questions hope you pros can answer,

what is the most RWHP i can realistically expect with a bolt-on only car? thats with stock heads and stock cam, all else is game

the car i'm getting has a brand new stock clutch. how much RWHP will the stock clutch take?

how weak is that 10 bolt? even worth putting gears in or just save for a 12 bolt or for 9"? will i break it with the stock clutch, bolt on, and only street driving (i drive pretty hard sometimes ?

any issues with buying a camaro ls1 m6 ss that was originally a canadian car that is now a califronia car? title is all transfered along time ago and everything, just wondering if there are any differences, maybe in tuning or something?

thanks guys! this is a great site!
    Last edited by allforspeed; 06-13-2007 at 02:58 PM.

black
    1999 ss m6

car already has suspension mods so right now my engine mod list i'm going to order with the money i got from selling my mustang looks like this:

pacesetter headers with catted Y pipe
    hooker muffler setup
    asp pulley
    mti lid
    granatelli maf
    fast toys ram air kit
    ported TB
    redline synthetic everything
    160* thermostat/manual fan switch

and maybe an intake if you all think it is worthwhile on stock heads/cam

would like to just get all bolt ons at once, install them and then dyno tune it, i'll probably do the heads/cam in a few years when i get another car to daily drive

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

sounds like you're on the right track to me. stock engine bolt ons only I'd say you'd get close or no more than 400... just my guess. The rear end is not the strongest. You'll be ok as long as you don't go taching it out and popping the clutch. I've heard of one exploding at 2500rpms and that was on my buddies 93-97 z28. I've popped mine at 4000 - 4500rpms before but I learned that that can be costly so I quit.

You've got good mods in mind.

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

by the way a canadian car will have a different speedo and I already know that cali has its own specs on emissions so be careful. I figure it wil be good.

black
    1999 ss m6

thanks man

do you really mean i could see 400RWHP with just those bolt ons?? damn man, THAT is why i got into ls1's, that is nuts if it is true!

that speedo thing is good to know, i'm going to have it tuned, so that should probably take care of any canadian/CA tuning differences,

black
    1999 ss m6

how much RWHP do you think the stock clutch will take?

i'm hoping i dont have to replace that brand new stock clutch, also hoping the softer engagement of it will help save my stock 10 bolt rear end.....

RED
    02 SS, 03 BMW 745

First off congrats on the purchase and welcome to the ls1 "brotherhood" if you will. Secondly you MUST post some pics up of the new ride and I think that you will see numbers in the 360-380 range as far as HP goes. I also don't think that you will need to replace the stock clutch right away especially if the previous owner just did.

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

Quote Originally Posted by allforspeed View Post
    how much RWHP do you think the stock clutch will take?

i'm hoping i dont have to replace that brand new stock clutch, also hoping the softer engagement of it will help save my stock 10 bolt rear end.....
    my bad man, 370rwhp sounds about dead on. I got mixed up thinking about heads and cam and stuff which could get you right at 500 with all the other stuff.

My clutch just went out which was all of a sudden. It was working fine and on my way home I pushed it and it got kind of tough then I got it in 1st then I was going to shift to 2nd and I pushed the clutch and I felt something pop. I think it was a spring in my pressure plate or something. I had to push it into a parking lot and insurance towed it 2 a shop which was 2weeks ago. I just got it back. I upgraded my clutch to a stage 3 clutchmasters. 450 more miles to go till its broken in.

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

by the way mine lasted for 65,000 miles, I think my new one will last longer especially since I'm having it the span of its life. my disc is made of kevlar on my new one

black
    1999 ss m6

cheers guys! man, if i see 370RWP+ on a bolt on car with stock cam (maybe get a z06 intake too?) i'm going to buy everyone on this forum a big beer

do you guys think an intake would be worth anything? seeing conflicting opinions on weather a intake for stock cam/head cars is worth anything...

that would be awesome, i was expecting 350 MAX,

i guess i'll say a prayer for the stock 10 bolt,

thanks for the warm welcome y'all, i'll post pics as soon as i get my car and then we can let the modding begin!

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

370 rwhp max with said mods and a tune...

Blue
    99 Z28

I agree, around 370rwhp, give or take some, with all bolt-ons. If it's a 98 or 99, then you could get an ls6 IM and that will help some, even without heads/cam. Good luck.

Electron Blue
    2002 EB Z06

hey yo's, great choice on the switch, as you can see by my name i've been a converted ford guy, i had a 95 gt too with pretty much the same mods on it as you're looking to get for your bowtie. and i'll tell you this much, my 01 a4 z28, 65k miles, is stock except for the crappy flowmaster set up dude before put on it, spanks everything i come across, you WILL NOT be disappointed these ls1's are fucking beasts. my gt sounded like a monster but tossed major salad when it came to getting business done. smash that ride out!!!

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Ur not gonna make 400whp out of an LS1 with bolt on's only

black
    1999 ss m6

Quote Originally Posted by nomorefords View Post
    my gt sounded like a monster but tossed major salad when it came to getting business done. smash that ride out!!!
    you are funny as hell man, hahahha.....thats the most hilarious description of "my car is slow" i've ever heard...haha

i just say 370rwhp, but what i really want is something that will run 12.3-4's on normal street tires, and seems like that rwhp goal should do that pretty consistently, and i want the stock cam and heads cause i want it to still be basically stock reliable and drivable since its my commuter car right now

eventually i'll cam and spray it for sure, but not till i have two cars,

black
    1999 ss m6

the car is the most cherry 1999 black camaro ss you have ever seen

would buying a 90mm tb and a fast intake or the holley or something more aggressive than the ls6 be counterproductive on a stock cam/head ls1? if i'm going to buy an intake manifold i'll probably just buy the best one out there so when i do the head/cam swap i dont need a new intake

will probably go and buy the biggest maf that is reasonable too

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

Quote Originally Posted by allforspeed View Post
    the car is the most cherry 1999 black camaro ss you have ever seen

would buying a 90mm tb and a fast intake or the holley or something more aggressive than the ls6 be counterproductive on a stock cam/head ls1? if i'm going to buy an intake manifold i'll probably just buy the best one out there so when i do the head/cam swap i dont need a new intake

will probably go and buy the biggest maf that is reasonable too
    a Fast 90/90 is really only good if you already have a H/C car. however, if you plan to go H/C in the future and you can swing the $1100 for a 90/90 setup now then go for it. saves you money in the long run (something i didnt think of)...
    2018 CTS-V: °°668rwhp/658rwtq°°
    2013 ZL1: °°590rwhp/576rwtq°°
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."

Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

a new, bigger maf wont really make much of a difference. dont believe granatellis claim of 15 hp with their maf. plenty of guys are running well over 400 hp with the stock maf. take the money and put it towards something else, like a ls6 or fast intake.

Navy
    2000 Z28 M6

I installed a 90/90 on a friend of mine's car without H/C and it made it slower. You can find LS6 intake's for bargains sometimes.

black
    1999 ss m6

thanks guys, those are good tips, i'll skip the MAF and i see the ls6 intakes on ebay for a steal sometime, its good to look stock too......

Thread Information