Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Spiral Gray
    2004 Auto Corvette

Talking Fast Toys Ram Air

Anyone here have the Fast toys Ram Air? If so what do u think if it? How tough was the install?

Arctic White
    01 TA / 06 Duc 749D

Don't have the FTRA but I went with the SSRA and the install is pretty much the same, took me about 20 minutes. There was a prety good difference IMO, especially on the dyno. With the fan on I dyno'd 333rwhp and 346rwtq, with it off I pulled 326rwhp and i think 341rwtq.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    1999 Camaro SS

I have the FTRA and I don't recall a difference in feel. Also, the FTRA and SSRA would't be shown on a dyno. I've read that in several threads and a tuner also told me that.

I've had one on my car for years. Installed it myself in about an hour (already had FRA). Think there's an evaluation of it on installuniversity.com? I've never had any issues in the rain but keep the block off plate under the seat so I can use it/remove the front seal just in case.

Black
    1998 Camaro SS M6 #1871

I'm sure there is a gain to it, but it seems like a risk too if you drive in the rain often. The one guy had it on here and his engine is trash now, I dunno though, I like the idea of it and how it can get cold air into the engine...

515 HP TrickFlow Package BADASS2000SS's Avatar

440 RWHP / 410 TQ
    2000 SLP CAMARO SS

Quote Originally Posted by aerojt View Post
    I'm sure there is a gain to it, but it seems like a risk too if you drive in the rain often. The one guy had it on here and his engine is trash now, I dunno though, I like the idea of it and how it can get cold air into the engine...
    I fully agree, why take the risk for minimal gains? Get the Volant or the lid and have piece of mind!

2000 SLP Camaro SS M6 * 515 HP TrickFlow Package * FAST 92 MM Intake * Nick Williams 92 MM TB * Volant CAI * Granatelli MAF * Full Custom True Dual Exhaust with X-Pipe * Tuned by Breathless Performance

Quote Originally Posted by BADASS2000SS View Post
    I fully agree, why take the risk for minimal gains? Get the Volant or the lid and have piece of mind!

Click for full size
    Oh my god,,,,it's that again

In all seriousness though, I've experimented with the cold air kits on my 02 SS. I have always had the SLP cold air pack on it which only extends about halfway down the radiator. I installed it shortly after I did the free ram air mod a couple years back.
    I may have been a couple of years ago when I was told about the SSRA or one of those,,,and that they made an extension to attatch to the SLP cold air pack and extend it below the bumper.

I thought why not give that a try. But at the track after testing with the SLP pack and the extension I found no difference in ET or MPH so I pulled the extension back off and just stuck with the SLP cold air setup.

It must be working well enough at the halfway point for my car I guess. Now that I have a trans cooler at the bottom of the radiator the extension for the cold air is completely out of the question now.

On my wifes 2000 SS I simply just did the free ram air mod without the ductwork, figured I wasn't about to spend the money on this one for what seemed to do nothing for my own car once past the free ram air mod.

440 RWHP / 410 TQ
    2000 SLP CAMARO SS

I feel that if you have an SS, use the hood scoop and the Volant box to seal all the cool air in! Its a ram air, why would you need anything else?

440 RWHP / 410 TQ
    2000 SLP CAMARO SS

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Oh my god,,,,it's that again
    I am sorry, are you tierd of seeing my intake?

I am sorry, are you tierd of seeing my intake?
    I didn't need to see that before bedtime,,,I couldn't sleep and had nitemares of floppy boobs

Just messin'

I feel that if you have an SS, use the hood scoop and the Volant box to seal all the cool air in! Its a ram air, why would you need anything else?
    It's a ramair before the volant box. I'm sure the box makes it more effective though.
    The factory setup has a few leaks for sure. Probably why I found the free ramair on our SS's (opening under the filter) gave me another tenth and more than 1 mph at the track. And it was free. Best of all it's undetectable.

Black
    2002 Camaro SS SLP

I have the SLP thing which only extends about halfway down the radiator. My ss is a DD, and im in south alabama, so im in rain alot, Ive done some test, like after driving in the rain i check and see if the slp metal thing is wet, its not. And the Filter and lid is dry as well.Only thing is i have to clean the K&N filter more than some ppl just bc of that cutout, cause of dirt, etc/.. but thats what a filter is for. I think it is only bad of you are on the trottle while you go through a big puddle. I have been through some when it floods, and i have had no damage what so ever. I think its a good mode. It have me 1.5 Mph at the 1/8 track. Time was the same bc if the damn 60'.
    2002 Camaro SS A4 - SLP# 2951 l MS4 l LT's w/ORY l F.A.S.T 78 & TB l Borla l Cutout l CME l TCI 3500 l 3.23's l !emissions l !sway

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge91 View Post
    I have the SLP thing which only extends about halfway down the radiator. My ss is a DD, and im in south alabama, so im in rain alot, Ive done some test, like after driving in the rain i check and see if the slp metal thing is wet, its not. And the Filter and lid is dry as well.Only thing is i have to clean the K&N filter more than some ppl just bc of that cutout, cause of dirt, etc/.. but thats what a filter is for. I think it is only bad of you are on the trottle while you go through a big puddle. I have been through some when it floods, and i have had no damage what so ever. I think its a good mode. It have me 1.5 Mph at the 1/8 track. Time was the same bc if the damn 60'.
    Ya I've never had problems with it either. I think most of the accounts you hear about are people that are driving through 1-2 feet of water at faster speeds where they are scooping it up with the lower air damn and forcing it up through the air intake track.
    Plus keep in mind that 99% of the people on here also like to lower their cars which increases the risk.

As far as idling through deeper puddles or simply driving in the rain,,,it's really not an issue. Besides that,,,if the water is that deep I'm not going through it anyway,,,I'll turn around and go get the jeep for that

00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

Ya I've never had problems with it either. I think most of the accounts you hear about are people that are driving through 1-2 feet of water at faster speeds where they are scooping it up with the lower air damn and forcing it up through the air intake track.
    Plus keep in mind that 99% of the people on here also like to lower their cars which increases the risk.

As far as idling through deeper puddles or simply driving in the rain,,,it's really not an issue. Besides that,,,if the water is that deep I'm not going through it anyway,,,I'll turn around and go get the jeep for that
    i agree. . . the only way it would be possible for water to be sucked up by the slp, ssra, or the ftra, would be driving in water that is too deep to be driving through in the first place with our cars. As for rain your gonna be more likely to suck rain in through the nostrils than from underneath your car.

440 RWHP / 410 TQ
    2000 SLP CAMARO SS

I didn't need to see that before bedtime,,,I couldn't sleep and had nitemares of floppy boobs

Just messin'
    Come on man...I cant believe you think my modified intake looks like saggy boobs! I am offended. Do you know how long it took for me to get that bitch to fit? Alright, I am not really offended, I like boobs, just not saggy ones!

Black
    1998 Camaro SS M6 #1871

I like your intake, I think its ideal. Wish I thought of it!

Come on man...I cant believe you think my modified intake looks like saggy boobs! I am offended. Do you know how long it took for me to get that bitch to fit? Alright, I am not really offended, I like boobs, just not saggy ones!

Party Time, Excellent... Kingc8r's Avatar

Arctic White
    2000 Z-28

I DD my car and it has seen it's fair share of rain and I never had an issue.

I've never tested it with it and with out it.....

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

I have a ftra and its been in there for years now. Never had a problem with it. I liked how my car sounded after I put it on because I could hear the air going in. I don't see anybody getting water in the engine unless they drive into the mississippi river and expect it to not happen or something. I've been in many down poors. My intake air temp is substantially cooler too! Engine never over heats when sitting in traffic either. Acts just like stock, but with more power.

Thread Information