Silver
    2000 SS

Factory speed settings

Hello all. I haven't owned a chevy in 10 years and just switched back over from the dodge camp. I have a 2000 SS. Here is my issue at 95mph it shuts down and won't go any faster. Is this where the factory computer limits the SS or am I having some other problems. I know I'm being very vague with my issue. I just need to know factory settings and then I will trouble shoot from there. Thanks in advance.

BigSarge

metallic pewter
    2001 WS.6 Trans Am

i have never heard of that. A friend of mine had a Z28 that was limited at 110 because it didn't come with z rated tires from the factory or something like that. maybe your SS was the same way or maybe someone bought it for their kid and had it limited. If thats even possible. sorry im not much help lol. but welcome to ls1.com!

Silver
    2000 SS

I guess the guy could've detuned to try for better gas milage he was in his late twentys. Just don't want to start throwing money for a new tune if there are other issues. Thanks.

metallic pewter
    2001 WS.6 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by BigSargeSS View Post
    I guess the guy could've detuned to try for better gas milage he was in his late twentys. Just don't want to start throwing money for a new tune if there are other issues. Thanks.
    theres a local shop here that will hook up there diablo programmer and change your gear ratio, tire size, speed limiter, things like that for 40 bucks. thats just to change something not to tune. maybe someone close to you will do the same that way your not out very much cash.

Junior Member jason_a_marzewski's Avatar

BRIGHT RALLY RED
    2002 CAMARO Z28RS

Camaro Ss Speed Limited To 95 Mph

14 October 2007

Dude, since you indicated that your Camaro was pre-owned (or tried and true as I like to say), I wonder if perhaps the former driver installed a set of lower gears like 4.10s or 4.11s; that may be what's causing your car to top out at 95 miles-per-hour. If you feel this could be the case, you may consider contacting the original owner and asking whether or not the car has the factory gears.

If your investigation reveals that your Camaro's gear ratio has not been modified and everything else appears copasetic, I recommend that you get a Diablo Sport Predator programmer to correct your speed limiter. As an added benefit of purchasing the programmer, you'll also be able to tune your car to make it faster!

Don't be intimidated by the $400.00 - $500.00 list price of these devices at big-name merchants; I did some Internet shopping and bought mine brand-new, never-before-opened for $250.00 from a small diesel truck tuning company. You can, too.

Good luck and let us know how you solve this problem.

This Light Dinner Is Over hamburger68's Avatar

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

i'd say gears is a good suggestion. the top speed limiter with the 2.73 rear end is set to 158 mph, i think. if you rev much higher than 2500 rpm at 95, you probably have a higher rear gear ratio, like mentioned above. (that's for an a4.)

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

+1 on hamburgler I heard the factory setting is 155MPH

SILVER
    1998 Z28

yep, need to find out gear ratio. Lower gears with a camaro originally without Z tires could cause a 90ish max mph I think. But why someone would change gears without speed limiter is crazy IMO, unless they converted everything back to original in PCM before selling??

Blue
    99 Z28

Even 4.11's should NOT limit you to 95mph. The only thing I can think of is someone had it tuned to that limit.

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

The limiter had to be dropped. The limiter is set off the spedometer. My Z had a limiter at 119. When I changed the gears from 2.73 to 4.11's it would still shut off at the speedo indicated 119 but I was actually only going 78 mph according to a GPS unit we had in the car at the time. Even if the gears were changed it would still go off whatever limit that was set to the speedo. Sounds like someone had a kid who they didn't want going too fast. And all SS's came with 17's and Zrated tires so it shouldn't have had one stock anyway.

Silver
    2000 SS

The SS is a M6 car, I haven't had any luck getting in touch with the original owner this weekend. I will have to take it out on the highway and look at the rpms. Just looking at it everything looks stock, no mods I can see. It's got the 17s on it. You've all given me a couple areas that I will be looking at.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

By any chance is your car a convertible and you tried to top out with the top down? I think so don't quote me on this but on the verts, when the top is down of course the computer brings down the limits the car can go for obvious reasons lol

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by JwMonE99 View Post
    By any chance is your car a convertible and you tried to top out with the top down? I think so don't quote me on this but on the verts, when the top is down of course the computer brings down the limits the car can go for obvious reasons lol

Incorrect

I did 140+ with my top down a few times.
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

Black
    1998 Z/28

if the gears were changed and the pcm wasnt reprogrammed, the speedometer would be way off, are u being limited to 95 mph by ur speedometer or is ur speedometer showing higher and some1 riding beside u is telling u that ur going 95?
    http://img519.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wheelieke5.jpg361hp 351tq 98 Z/28 A4 SLP Lid/Smooth Bellow/LM2 K&N Filter Pacesetter Headers TSP Y Pipe Z06 Style Wheels B&M shifter Yank 3200 Prothane Motor/Trans Mounts Torquer V2/7.425" p-rods/Comp Springs
    $, the replacement for displacement.

Silver
    2000 SS

Red face The truth comes out

After listening to my wife tell me that the car won't go over 90-95. I take the car out and see if I can figure out what's wrong with it. Rolling along at 65 in sixth gear, I down shift into 5th. The get up and go is kinda slow, so I shift into 4th. Does'nt take long before I'm passing 125, 135 and 140. At 140 I slow down, I figure that's fast enough. Long story longer the wife was trying to get on it while in 5th & 6th gear. To think I thought I had an excuse to work on the car. Thanks for all of the input you've all given.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Yeah, not a lot of torque multiplication going on in 5th and 6th at slow rpm's......

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

Now tell her that a "good spanking" is in order....you know what the heck, if it works...

PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

The wifes seat is the one on the right without the pedals and wheel.

Yo Da Lin The Valley..... astyles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SSTODD View Post
    The wifes seat is the one on the right without the pedals and wheel.
    ....thats were mine goes

Thread Information