Exhaust Harmful?

Can a cut out/dump before the rear axle in a 2001 camaro SS be harmful to your health from the carbon dioxide seeping through the floor board and into the cabin. I know you can not always smell carbon dioxide... Also is there any chance the under car can ever catch on fire?

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Not much of a chance for fire. If you sat in your car for awhile with the windows up, yeah it might be a problem. It would take a good amount of time for you to start getting sleepy.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

you can NEVER smell CO2 (carbon dioxide)

the floor pans are metal so it'd have to seep in through other areas of the car

i dont think i'd be a problem

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Well folks, it's carbon MONOXIDE that comes from the exhaust and yes it can kill you. Carbon DIOXIDE is what you exhale and what plants use for photosynthesis, although it can kill you also.

It's true: You can't smell carbon monoxide. But you can smell carbon dioxide if the person has been eating garlic.

All kidding aside, carbon dioxide is also created when dry ice is evaporating. It has a smell and can kill you in concentrated enough quantities.
    Last edited by 67CamaroRSSS; 03-02-2007 at 09:08 AM.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    Well folks, it's carbon MONOXIDE that comes from the exhaust and yes it can kill you. Carbon DIOXIDE is what you exhale and what plants use for photosynthesis, although it can kill you also.

It's true: You can't smell carbon monoxide. But you can smell carbon dioxide if the person has been eating garlic.

All kidding aside, carbon dioxide is also created when dry ice is evaporating. It has a smell and can kill you in concentrated enough quantities.
    Hell yeah! I used to work for a dry ice company. The worst was when the tractor trailer would come in full of it and you would have to unload the bins. We used to run in real quick to the front of the trailer and see if you could make it back. It will _uck you up real quick. Its also great making soda bottle bombs with!

SMKDFRD
    Tried it before!! LOL.

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

my brother's 66 Chevelle had an exhaust that dumped out before the axle. We never had any problems, and his car is 41 years old and not as sealed. it's not an uncommon set up.

Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    Hell yeah! I used to work for a dry ice company. The worst was when the tractor trailer would come in full of it and you would have to unload the bins. We used to run in real quick to the front of the trailer and see if you could make it back. It will _uck you up real quick. Its also great making soda bottle bombs with!
    hahahahaha, man, that sounds like fun, both the running next to the trailer and the bombs. dry ice is some crazy stuff.

Thread Information