Thread: engine help

Black
    2002 Camaro SS

engine help

I recently put on long tube headers and since then I had my check engine light come on which was one of my O2 sensors. i also had a misfire as well. Since then I put in the new o2 sensor and replaced all of my wires with MSD wires. The issue that I am having now is on takeoff if I get on it the car hesitates and sounds like it is back firing. And will do that until I get out of it. But if I am doing 15-20 and get on it the car just goes without that issue. Any ideas on what this would be. The check ngine light is off so I am not getting any codes either.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Which 02 did you replace? You need a tune too with the addition of LT's. Could even be a weak or dieing coil.. Most likely running rich tho..imho..
    Last edited by Smittro; 06-07-2010 at 08:32 PM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

If you're check engine light came on, then went back off, and you did not erase the codes, they will still show up on a diagnosis scanner. You've got 4 O2 sensors, two before and two after the cats. The two before need to function properly all the time and be in working order. As for the two after the cats, you can either get them tuned out, or find O2 eliminators (like I've got), and you shouldn't have a problem.

EDIT: Can't remember if they're called eliminators or simulators

2000 Z - Light Pewter Metallic - A4 - 130k - Bolt Ons - My Pride and Joy
    2002 C5 - Electron Blue - M6 - 32k - My Dream Car

Black
    2001 Camaro SS #1469

They are simulators, I would not waist my money on simulators. I went threw 2 sets before I got them tuned out! Frost is the way to go, Plus you get extra goodies for the money with a tune

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by Teknik_SS View Post
    They are simulators, I would not waist my money on simulators. I went threw 2 sets before I got them tuned out! Frost is the way to go, Plus you get extra goodies for the money with a tune
    Waste...

And while it's true about the tune, if you can pick up somebody else's O2 simulators for little to nothing in price, it damn sure wouldn't hurt, to atleast get the car to not run so rich.

However, I do agree with Teknik, there's no sense in spending $80 (that's what I saw) for new O2 simulators when you can shell out another couple dollars for a damn good tune....

Black
    2002 Camaro SS

Well The front two were removed and then the one that I had to replace was the passenger side after the Cats. After it was replaced then the engine light came off. I had a diagnostics done to it and all that came up ws the o2 sensor so that is why it was replaced. It is still doing the itting and sputtering alomst as if it was back firing. As for a coil it was not doing any of this until I added the headers.

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28

I would guess that you need a tune since the recent header install. It doesnt sound to me like there would be an issue with the rear o2 as far as the sputtering or backfiring although they like to throw pointless codes. Your AF ratio gets adjusted by your front o2 sensors on each side. I am sure a basic mail order tune would fix both problems at the same time. I had o2 sims before my tune and they worked good but they would be a waste of money since i believe you need to get tuned anyways and they will be deleted then.

Red
    2002 Z28 Camaro

Speed density and a constant open fuel loop fixes everything
    2002 Z28 Camaro A4
    Built by: Tick Performance and Tuned by: Alvin @ PCMofNC
    428rwhp/405tq
    7.79 @ 91.5 on true street tires
    7.43 @ 92 on Drag radials

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by cags07 View Post
    Well The front two were removed and then the one that I had to replace was the passenger side after the Cats. After it was replaced then the engine light came off. I had a diagnostics done to it and all that came up ws the o2 sensor so that is why it was replaced. It is still doing the itting and sputtering alomst as if it was back firing. As for a coil it was not doing any of this until I added the headers.
    Talk to Frost, he's located in Richmond VA, about an hour south of where I am. For a little over $100 he can get you set right up!

Bright Red
    2000 Camaro

Rear o2s are for catalyst efficiency only, so unless you have no cats and put the front sensors in the rear bungs because the lt's have no front bungs, then thats your problem. You can not eliminate the front sensors, the ecm "knows" the difference.

Thread Information