RED
    1999 Z28

electrical/headlight confused!!!

I have a simple question and I am not that familiar with the 99 ls1 camaro z28. I have owned my car for 3.5 years and I bought it used with 161k miles on her. my question is when it is dark outside and I have the car RUNNING I cant seem to find a way to turn off the headlights. I dont even know if it is possible or if there is something faulty somewhere. I would like to be able to turn off the headlights at night with out haveing to turn off the engine and key... I dont so much mind the running lights, the headlights can get anoying at 2am in a residential when your parked and your waiting for a friend and it is winter and it is 10-20 degrees below freezing outside. would be nice to leave the engine running for heat without running the headlights!!! any help on this matter would be appreciated, ty... fyi in the next few years I plan to install a HID headlight kit, if that matters any for down the road!

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Pull the parking break on b4 you fire it up.. The head lights will stay off till you release it.. You'll have to search the forums. But there's a resister you can buy to replace the photo sensor on the top of the dash I don't remember the exact resister needed tho.. Other than that you won't be able to just turn them off @ night..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

RED
    1999 Z28

WOW!!! I cant believe it, it actually worked!!! I wonder if I could tap into the switch on the parking break and make a kill switch for the lights while I am driving. for the purpose of driving with the FOG lights and running lights ONLY, I live in utah and driving in a snow BLIZZARD, sometimes you have to cut the lights so your not blinded by the falling snow! I dont think that would work the way I would like since the switch on the parking break killed ALL lights (headlight and running lights) I believe it is legal to use running lights and ONLY fog lights durring poor weather like heavy fog and snow!

Pewter
    02 Camaro SS SLP

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by falseprophet79 View Post
    WOW!!! I cant believe it, it actually worked!!! I wonder if I could tap into the switch on the parking break and make a kill switch for the lights while I am driving. for the purpose of driving with the FOG lights and running lights ONLY, I live in utah and driving in a snow BLIZZARD, sometimes you have to cut the lights so your not blinded by the falling snow! I dont think that would work the way I would like since the switch on the parking break killed ALL lights (headlight and running lights) I believe it is legal to use running lights and ONLY fog lights durring poor weather like heavy fog and snow!
    you can, some people sell panel with switchs on them for reasons like that except with fans an nitriuos an stuff, the park brake is your accuator for headlights.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by 02 Camaro SS SLP View Post
    you can, some people sell panel with switchs on them for reasons like that except with fans an nitriuos an stuff, the park brake is your accuator for headlights.
    @ night or when it's dark enough to trigger the head lights, putting a switch in place of the parking break switch will do nothing just as the brake switch does nothing after the lights are activated from the brake @ night.. The sensor has to be replaced with a resistor to "fool" the BCM into thinking it's daylight all the time..
    Last edited by Smittro; 06-07-2010 at 06:15 AM.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by falseprophet79 View Post
    No the running lights come on when the engine is running. @ least on my 01 Camaro they do.. Also refer to post #5....
    Last edited by Smittro; 06-07-2010 at 06:16 AM.

Maroon
    2000 z28 6 speed

basically once you start the car, and drop the ebrake the lights will not go off like they said. It is a little annoying but i guess its just part of it. Id look into that relay if it really matters that much.
    2001 B4C Totaled 4/25/11
    2000 Z28 M6 Cammed N' Slammed (SVT KLR)

BLACK
    2000 Camaro SS

If you're considering doing the work required to add a "kill" switch, it would be easier to just disable the auto-on headlight function like mentioned above. That way, the headlights will be on only when you explicitly turn them on with the stock light switch.

Start here for more information. The first section deals with disabling the DRL's. Disabling the auto headlight feature is a little ways down the page.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by mbrownin View Post
    If you're considering doing the work required to add a "kill" switch, it would be easier to just disable the auto-on headlight function like mentioned above. That way, the headlights will be on only when you explicitly turn them on with the stock light switch.

Start here for more information. The first section deals with disabling the DRL's. Disabling the auto headlight feature is a little ways down the page.
    I would'nt use this technique.. For this reason that the page states..

"Disconnecting C2 from the DRL module makes it impossible to pop the hatch in some circumstances (with the manual transmission anyway). It also disables the "BRAKE" light on your instrument cluster which comes in handy should you forget to completely disengage the emergency brake (or if you're low on brake fluid!"

As I said,, Easier and better to use the proper ohm resistor inplace of the photosensor.. = no lights get disabled in the dash cluster and you won't have a hatch that does'nt release.. To the OP...Do a forum search and do it the right way!!.....
    Last edited by Smittro; 06-08-2010 at 08:13 AM.

BLACK
    2000 Camaro SS

I haven't disabled my DRL's, so I don't know about that issue, but if all you want to do is disable the automatic headlights, then the procedure described at this link works perfectly.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by mbrownin View Post
    I haven't disabled my DRL's, so I don't know about that issue, but if all you want to do is disable the automatic headlights, then the procedure described at this link works perfectly.
    Notice also I covered the auto head lights earlier in the thread and in post #9..
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...running+lights Pay attention to posts #7 and #8..

10 ohm resistor inplace of the photosensor....
    Last edited by Smittro; 06-08-2010 at 08:46 AM.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thread Information